Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Wireless charger frustration

Reactions
Is anyone else irked that their phone doesn't fit in the wireless charger spot? I have a Note 10 Plus, and it won't fit. How they didn't think to make this larger drives me nuts, phones are large these days, even my wife's note 9 didn't fit. Seems like a big oversight on their part, there's clearly room to have made it larger.

Reactions
I made sure my iPhone fit before I bought the ST. But honestly, I hardly use it because I can’t see the damn phone and forget it’s there leaving the car without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dgoebel57

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
I'm certain it was designed for older smaller phones. My S10+ with a minimal protective case doesn't fit either. I ended up putting in a cup holder mounted wireless charger that uses the USB port. It automatically grips the phone and is very adjustable.
Cup mounted wireless phone charger.jpg

OP
G
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Yeah it seems odd for a brand new model not to take current day phone sizes into consideration. Mine just fits without a case, but only by a hair and having no case isn't an option for me with two toddlers who are like Hawks on my phone every time I set it down lol

Reactions
I personally don't like using this feature. My phone (iPhone X) seems to get really hot when I use it. I know the phone is suppose to regulate the charge, but it just feels unsafe.

Reactions
feels like the wireless charger was a bit of a last minute thought, more of a gimmick to be honest.. without wireless carplay, it seems useless anyway.. i’m wondering if it would have been a deal breaker for the gentleman who made sure his phone fit before purchasing the vehicle. :p:p:p

Reactions
My 8+ with case fits in the wireless charging cubby; just fits though and I do forget it in there often since it’s out of sight. For me it would not be a deal breaker if it wouldn’t have fit. One would REALLY have to love their cell phone for that to happen.

Reactions
Damn so note 10 is a maybe

Reactions
I stopped using it because of frequently forgetting my phone when I leave the car and have to rush back to get it. Also my Samsung sometimes gets hot. Back to using USB cable to charge.

Reactions
I'm certain it was designed for older smaller phones. My S10+ with a minimal protective case doesn't fit either. I ended up putting in a cup holder mounted wireless charger that uses the USB port. It automatically grips the phone and is very adjustable.
View attachment 519
Bought a similar one and absolutely love it. Sux to lose a cupholder but the tradeoff is worth it.

rxrep

Reactions
This was a "you're kidding me" moment when I got the car home and realized my Samsung S20 didn't fit. The other challenge is they could have at least given a feed for a cable to run to the pseudo phone slot in front of the center console cup holder so when plugged in for apple car play or android auto, the phone isn't sitting upside down with a cable running up in the air to feed back into the USB port. Would have been neater.

GTP

Reactions
On vacation, we cabled the phone to the port under the spring-loaded door for Android Auto and Google maps. Yes, we put the phone upside down in that slot, but then we ignored it and watched the 10" display for directions. Or picked up the phone for other uses.

We used another USB cable from the rear of the center console in order to charge the second phone.

What's silly about the wireless charger to me, is that even a moderately hard stop causes it to flop forward and stop charging wirelessly. :LOL:

Reactions
My wireless charger has been converted into a coin tray.

Reactions
I don’t use it at all because it makes my IPhone XSmax super hot and it barely charges if I just a usb c to lighting cable for car play and call it a day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

minuteman3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I use the tray every day with my iPhone XR and have zero issues with fit or performance.

Other than I keep forgetting it's there when I exit ... ;)

Ken

Reactions
I ended up just using a standard charging cord and purchased a suction cup magnetic mount. The suction cup has some sticky stuff on it and it adheres perfectly to the right side of the center, only about 3 inches of cord is visible when the phone is mounted and plugged in.

Reactions
Totally happy with the wireless charger with my iPhone 8S and it charges fine through the case. The problem I have is that I always forget my phone in there. That should improve; or get worse....not getting any younger LOL!