Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

wind buffeting with sunroof

Reactions
Hey guys/gals,

anyone else have issues with buffeting with the sunroof open? not bad if not car in front of me but if anyone is in front the little deflector that comes up shakes and gets a unpleasant buffeting sound. does anyone make an aftermarket different design deflector that pops up when I open the sunroof?

hbalek

Reactions
Hey guys/gals,

anyone else have issues with buffeting with the sunroof open? not bad if not car in front of me but if anyone is in front the little deflector that comes up shakes and gets a unpleasant buffeting sound. does anyone make an aftermarket different design deflector that pops up when I open the sunroof?
Someone here had theirs break off when driving at highway speeds. It is very flimsy and cheaply made and weakly attached.

OP
J
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Someone here had theirs break off when driving at highway speeds. It is very flimsy and cheaply made and weakly attached.
not surprised it seems cheap hoping there is an aftermarket one that actually works!

hbalek

Reactions
not surprised it seems cheap hoping there is an aftermarket one that actually works!
Also, someone had the rear door sun shades break off when driving with the windows open and shades deployed.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Also, someone had the rear door sun shades break off when driving with the windows open and shades deployed.
Well they’re not made to be out when the window is down…of course they’ll break. lol

Reactions
Yeah that's just not smart on that person's part...

hbalek

Reactions
Well they’re not made to be out when the window is down…of course they’ll break. lol
True but this vehicle is very cheaply made. So many people have had their driver's seat fall apart, window switches peel, rear defroster peel off, camera fail, transmission fail, front suspension boot come apart, catalytic converter crack. On and on and on... I've personally experienced most of these. Still love the damn demon though! Ford cut too many corners and then failed to fix many of these things permanently even after recalls and replacements. They decontented features the second and third year models to fix all these issues.

Reactions
True but this vehicle is very cheaply made. So many people have had their driver's seat fall apart, window switches peel, rear defroster peel off, camera fail, transmission fail, front suspension boot come apart, catalytic converter crack. On and on and on... I've personally experienced most of these. Still love the damn demon though! Ford cut too many corners and then failed to fix many of these things permanently even after recalls and replacements. They decontented features the second and third year models to fix all these issues.
So many people have had the rear defroster peel? So many people have had transmissions fail? So many people have had the front suspension boot come apart? So many people have had the cat crack?

What defines "so many people"?

Out of all the STs sold.. so many people would have to be a very very very large amount...

Ive heard of a few people who have had these issues but in the grand scheme of things.. out of all the STs sold and delivered.. the percentage who have had these issues would definitely not classify as "so many people".

hbalek

Reactions
So many people have had the rear defroster peel? So many people have had transmissions fail? So many people have had the front suspension boot come apart? So many people have had the cat crack?

What defines "so many people"?

Out of all the STs sold.. so many people would have to be a very very very large amount...

Ive heard of a few people who have had these issues but in the grand scheme of things.. out of all the STs sold and delivered.. the percentage who have had these issues would definitely not classify as "so many people".
In 36 years of driving I've never had a fuel pump fail, rear window defroster peel, transmission A clutch and support break, rear camera defect (I've owned 3 cars with cameras since 2010) and a battery that only lasted only 18 months! All of these things have been repaired or replaced in a little over 2 years. So I don't really care about how many people overall. I'm just very disappointed in the basic quality of this vehicle. Yes, it can be worse and it has been for some on here who had the car in the shop for 90 or more days and had buybacks. Luckily the longest I had mine in the shop was 11 days. So I'm grateful for that but I really expected better from Ford in this day and age. Some of these problems are clearly a result of using the cheapest materials possible. Don't forget those who had their exhaust system fall apart in less than 2 years. I'm one of these too. I've had rattling and exhaust fumes at just 1 year of ownership. It will have to be replaced in the near future. Also, even though we can say that only the few people with problems post on a forum like this. But you could also say that the several incidences on here are the ones we know of. The vast majority of Explorer owners and any car owner for that matter don't post on these online forums or even know that these sites exist. So unless you work at a Ford service department you'll never know how many people actually had these same issues.

Last edited:
Reactions
In 36 years of driving I've never had a fuel pump fail, rear window defroster peel, transmission A clutch and support break, rear camera defect (I've owned 3 cars with cameras since 2010) and a battery that only lasted only 18 months! All of these things have been repaired or replaced in a little over 2 years. So I don't really care about how many people overall. I'm just very disappointed in the basic quality of this vehicle. Yes, it can be worse and it has been for some on here who had the car in the shop for 90 or more days and had buybacks. Luckily the longest I had mine in the shop was 11 days. So I'm grateful for that but I really expected better from Ford in this day and age. Some of these problems are clearly a result of using the cheapest materials possible. Don't forget those who had their exhaust system fall apart in less than 2 years. I'm one of these too. I've had rattling and exhaust fumes at just 1 year of ownership. It will have to be replaced in the near future. Also, even though we can say that only the few people with problems post on a forum like this. But you could also say that the several incidences on here are the ones we know of. The vast majority of Explorer owners and any car owner for that matter don't post on these online forums or even know that these sites exist. So unless you work at a Ford service department you'll never know how many people actually had these same issues.
Good thing I work at a Ford service department. And just because you've had bad luck with yours... that doesn't mean "so many people" have every single issue you do.

hbalek

Reactions
Good thing I work at a Ford service department. And just because you've had bad luck with yours... that doesn't mean "so many people" have every single issue you do.
The worst is when I have less than a quarter tank full of gas and parked on an incline, my engine won't start! This happened twice and is just annoying! And again I'm not the only one who has experienced this. I've learned to live with that and all the rattles and noises from the interior. Just turn up the radio! I know I'm venting here and hope that the mid-cycle refresh takes care of these things and it's improved enough that I can enjoy the vehicle without complaining!

Last edited: