Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

WiFi - can I bring this up here?

KB-racer

Reactions
I've never had/enabled wifi in a car, so I'm looking for any input/experiences. With my limited research, I think I've seen that you can add auto hotspot service to an existing AT&T cellular plan - is it about $10 per month extra?

And, what about capacity - I see the marketing material that says you can add "up to 10 devices", but my question would be on the quality of streaming for a couple/few devices and any max data usage. So, in the real world, I've got 3 kids that could each potentially be on a device watching Netflix our Youtube videos for 8 hours (boy, that's great parenting) on a long car journey. Will this in car hotspot support that? Am I going to run out of data every month?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
so AT&T charges me $20/mo for 'unlimited data' @ claimed 4G LTE (where available) for your car, no other AT&T service needed. If you can get it for $10 b/c you already have AT&T, and need it, that's a decent price if you spend a lot of time in the car. To your second question, your devices connect to the car's Wi-Fi, which in turn connects to the 4G modem. So, generally speaking, the more data your are using on each device simultaneously, the slower things will go. If you have the unlimited data plan you won't /run out' of data. However, check the fine print (I didn't ) there may be throttling after you consume some monthly 'allowance'.

Also note that the car can connect to other Wi-Fi hotspots (e.g. your home's). You will use this connection to update Sync, for example.

OP
K

KB-racer

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
thx!