Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Wider tires?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
So I have read a lot on this forum about aftermarket tires. For the people who have aftermarket tires what do you feel is the biggest wheel that can be put on without rubbing at all?
I was quoted for velgan wheels and tires. The rims would be 22x10.5, 30 offset. Seems like a big rim that can rub. Tires would be MICHELIN PILOT SUPER SPORT 305/35/22.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm willing to go smaller so it won't rub
If you had read a lot on this forum you’d know that’s the go to wheel and tire size…and I spent a lot of time coming up with it. lol
It will not rub at all…I made sure of it.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer st
If you had read a lot on this forum you’d know that’s the go to wheel and tire size…and I spent a lot of time coming up with it. lol
It will not rub at all…I made sure of it.
Well thanks lol! That's some build you have. I saw your first 35 pages on your build. I still have to read the rest lol.

JustE

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
So, then it would be okay with a 1.25" spacer with the 295/40/21 stock rim set up on the rear? Thinking of doing the 1" on the front.

Last edited:

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
So I have read a lot on this forum about aftermarket tires. For the people who have aftermarket tires what do you feel is the biggest wheel that can be put on without rubbing at all?
I was quoted for velgan wheels and tires. The rims would be 22x10.5, 30 offset. Seems like a big rim that can rub. Tires would be MICHELIN PILOT SUPER SPORT 305/35/22.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm willing to go smaller so it won't rub
That's the exact tire brand and size I currently have on my ST. No rubbing at all. Wouldn't buy again for two reasons. Price and wet traction isn't good.

F=MA

Reactions
That will work. I have had that wheel size and tire size together with zero issues. Went to 295/40/22 for a little more sidewall. Some wheels look better than others with the lower profile 305/35/22 tires.

Attachments

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer st
That's the exact tire brand and size I currently have on my ST. No rubbing at all. Wouldn't buy again for two reasons. Price and wet traction isn't good.
Good to know. Thank you

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer st
That will work. I have had that wheel size and tire size together with zero issues. Went to 295/40/22 for a little more sidewall. Some wheels look better than others with the lower profile 305/35/22 tires.
Car looks awesome. What rim did you end up with?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
So, then it would be okay with a 1.25" spacer with the 295/40/21 stock rim set up on the rear? Thinking of doing the 1" on the front.
My 1.25" spacers just shipped. I'll be trying them with the 295/40ZR21s shortly. I'll report back once I get a chance to install them.

Also, as I understand it, you need at least 1.25" spacers to keep the stock stud length.

Last edited:

JustE

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
My 1.25" spacers just shipped. I'll be trying them with the 295/40ZR21s shortly. I'll report back once I get a chance to install them.

Also, as I understand it, you need at least 1.25" spacers to keep the stock stud length.
I received my spacers yesterday and checked fitment. Looks like .25" will have to be cut off factory studs. At least that's how much the stud protrudes out of the spacer. Please let me know about the tire fitment though. From what I've read in this thread is as long as it's smaller then a 1.5" spacer we should be good.

Reactions
I received my spacers yesterday and checked fitment. Looks like .25" will have to be cut off factory studs. At least that's how much the stud protrudes out of the spacer. Please let me know about the tire fitment though. From what I've read in this thread is as long as it's smaller then a 1.5" spacer we should be good.
Some wheels have indents in the back that allow the studs to protrude a little. Have a look first.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Here is my update. The stock studs do extend past the 1.25" spacers, but the wheels do have indents as stated by @Big Turk to accommodate that. With the front wheels at full lock, there is very little space between the front of the fender well and tire, but no rub. The back side of the tire has plenty of room. The wheels do extend a bit past the edge of the fenders. I haven't noticed any significant change in handling, certainly not anything detrimental. I think it looks great, but I'll have to see how things are when we start getting rain again.

Studs.jpg Wheel back.jpg Fender Well.jpg Top Front.jpg Top Rear.jpg Front.jpg Rear2.jpg Rear.jpg

SBHink

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Can you run the Mich 295's lowered with steeda kit?

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
How much wider is the 295/40/21 vs the factory 275/45 ??? I'm looking to get that wide low aggressive look with 4" exhaust tips and H&R lowering springs. Also would having a little negative camber be ok for that extra sweet look???? Or is maxing out the camber in factory specs do the trick???

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
How much wider is the 295/40/21 vs the factory 275/45 ??? I'm looking to get that wide low aggressive look with 4" exhaust tips and H&R lowering springs. Also would having a little negative camber be ok for that extra sweet look???? Or is maxing out the camber in factory specs do the trick???
Well…20mm difference is roughly 3/4” and no…more negative camber is not a “sweet” look. Filling out the fenders and making the wheels flush is what you want…that means -.5° out back and roughly -.8° to -1° up front…which is where they all naturally sit after drop springs.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Well I order a set of 295/40r21 Lionharts just now. I will update everyone here with the fit on the stock 21s.
Sooo how did they fit? Any issues?

SmittysST

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 FORD Explorer ST
Here is one I grabbed a minute ago. If you want a different angle, I can post another after work.
I like that!! Wonder how this would look with 1.25" spacer in the rear?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I like that!! Wonder how this would look with 1.25" spacer in the rear?
Post #51 above has pics with 1.25" spacers all around

SmittysST

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 FORD Explorer ST
Post #51 above has pics with 1.25" spacers all around
Ah nice! I did see that. May just do the rear......

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Ah nice! I did see that. May just do the rear......
I've removed them, pretty shortly after install. The road film was obnoxious after a rain. Also, it may have been a coincidence, but my struts started knocking right after the new tires and spacers were installed. I loved the look, but still a bit leary of wrecking the new struts Ford bought me, and not interested in ramping up my wash schedule.