Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Wi-Fi weak problem.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST 401A Pkg White Met Tri-Coat
Hi gang,

Just noticed over the past few weeks my Wi-Fi signal in my ST is very weak. I figured it was the gateway or router in the house but doesn't seem to be. So, my wife and I tried an experiment.
Where I park, right next to the garage door, (use to get good signal) ... There is barely any. So, we swapped out where each of us park. She has a 22 Edge and mine is a 23 ST. Her signal is at least 3 bars and no matter where I park mine, I get squat.
I'm lucky I get 1 tiny bar. Is it possible there is a WIFI connection in the vehicle that may have come lose? Does anyone know where the wifi antenna even is? Very puzzling and its driving me nuts. I put up a new router, extenders etc., never thinking it was the vehicle. It almost seems like the antenna is not connected wherever it may be.

Any help is appreciated.

hbalek

Reactions
Hi gang,

Just noticed over the past few weeks my Wi-Fi signal in my ST is very weak. I figured it was the gateway or router in the house but doesn't seem to be. So, my wife and I tried an experiment.
Where I park, right next to the garage door, (use to get good signal) ... There is barely any. So, we swapped out where each of us park. She has a 22 Edge and mine is a 23 ST. Her signal is at least 3 bars and no matter where I park mine, I get squat.
I'm lucky I get 1 tiny bar. Is it possible there is a WIFI connection in the vehicle that may have come lose? Does anyone know where the wifi antenna even is? Very puzzling and its driving me nuts. I put up a new router, extenders etc., never thinking it was the vehicle. It almost seems like the antenna is not connected wherever it may be.

Any help is appreciated.
I no longer use WiFi for updates, as the USB download and installation is so easy and fast.

OP
bhunted1
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
I do too but there must be a reason. I had to have some modules replaced so Im wondering if a connection is loose. Its almost like you left off an antenna on your router.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Make sure you have the latest Sync 23188 and not 22251 that has issues. If I were to guess, there probably is no external antenna--few devices nowadays have one except wifi routers. And if I were to guess again, I would bet the wifi is built into the APIM itself. Based on that, try a master reset after you make sure what version you are running.

Last edited:
OP
bhunted1
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
Make sure you have the latest Sync 23188 and not 22251 that has issues. If I were to guess, there probably is no antenna--few devices nowadays have one except wifi routers. And if I were to guess again, I would bet the wifi is built into the APIM itself. Based on that, try a master reset after you make sure what version you are running.
Sync 3.4 build 23188 direct from Ford. - didn't do master reset. Hate losing everything again.

hbalek

Reactions
My ST is in the driveway about 50 or more feet from the wireless router inside the house. So I never have a very strong signal. Even on the street on Xfinity wifi it's weak too.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I put a wired access point in my garage. Needed it for tv and golf sim. Solved my weak signal problems including the ST in the driveway. A wireless extender or repeater would work too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk