Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

who has the Steeda Explorer 2.3L/3.0L ProFlow Intercooler Power Package - SCT BDX

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
'23 ExST, '17 Raptor, '16 FoST, FFR Cobra
with 10% off right now, it seems that it's the same intercooler as Whipple, and the SCT tune adds 93hp/50tq

0-60 MPH Testing Results:
  • 0-60 MPH, Stock: 5.35 seconds
  • 0-60 MPH, Intercooler Only: 5.20 seconds
  • 0-60 MPH, Intercooler & Tune: 4.76 seconds

anyone on here have this setup? it's about $1k cheaper than Whipple's setup

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
with 10% off right now, it seems that it's the same intercooler as Whipple, and the SCT tune adds 93hp/50tq

Had the SCT tuner on my previous vehicle and ill never do it again. the SCT needed to be updated in order for me return to the stock tune. I tried to update it both via wifi and PC with both failing. so I was never able to revert to stock and couldnt send it to SCT to unlock it (with a hefty fee) because they wouldnt ship back to CA. it was an absolute Sh*t show of a tuner and will never do it again. with the MVPI3, if it fails, you can replace it, update it and you're back to what you need since its all backed up on the cloud.

OP
Toadster

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
Had the SCT tuner on my previous vehicle and ill never do it again. the SCT needed to be updated in order for me return to the stock tune. I tried to update it both via wifi and PC with both failing. so I was never able to revert to stock and couldnt send it to SCT to unlock it (with a hefty fee) because they wouldnt ship back to CA. it was an absolute Sh*t show of a tuner and will never do it again. with the MVPI3, if it fails, you can replace it, update it and you're back to what you need since its all backed up on the cloud.
hmm interesting, my son has had a three mustangs, and even his current F150 5.0 and the SCT was no issue on any of them

Last edited:
Reactions
https://www.explorerst.org/threads/new-ic-from-steeda.4532/

Skipped the BDX and went to the X4. Much simpler to use and update. The canned tune is quite good, as are several from other tuners that use SCT. Great package if you want to simply just update the fun factor for a daily driver.

OP
Toadster

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
https://www.explorerst.org/threads/new-ic-from-steeda.4532/

Skipped the BDX and went to the X4. Much simpler to use and update. The canned tune is quite good, as are several from other tuners that use SCT. Great package if you want to simply just update the fun factor for a daily driver.
I ordered the BDX one, seems that it's the newer X4 with some more features at the same price... hopefully it's good
it's all about making it a 'funner' daily driver for sure... it drives my wife nuts, with every car, but she loves the results LOL

Reactions
Yes, it doesn’t take much to pump up the fun, for not a ton of coin. A good axle-back and an intercooler/tune kit like this is a great start. It handles pretty well on stock springs, but a bigger rear sway bar is a good add to cut down on some of the under-steer (going the really inexpensive route, grab an Interceptor version!). You don’t have to spend stupid amounts of money at all.

OP
Toadster

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
Yes, it doesn’t take much to pump up the fun, for not a ton of coin. A good axle-back and an intercooler/tune kit like this is a great start. It handles pretty well on stock springs, but a bigger rear sway bar is a good add to cut down on some of the under-steer (going the really inexpensive route, grab an Interceptor version!). You don’t have to spend stupid amounts of money at all.
agreed - haven't even made the first payment and have a 2.5" thermal exhaust, steeda springs and rear sway, intercooler and tune on the way :) LOL

OP
Toadster

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #8
I got the Steeda SCT BDX tune and installed it yesterday, the ST is definitely snappier in response and lays down the power - the intercooler is about a month out so there will be more soon :)

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST

So new guy question: I assume not everyone on here has $ to blow to pay for whatever issues arise from changing factory tunes. After all, these vehicles are a $60K + purchase. While I'd love to do the same thing (tunes, etc.) to get the improved performance mentioned all over this forum, how does one mitigate the associated expense not covered by Ford warranties? Is there some magic "reset" button that Im not aware of that's activated before going to a Ford dealer or making a warranty claim?

Thanks

OP
Toadster

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #10
in general you can reset the tune back to stock, depending on the mods that you have it may or may not be a good thing e.g. if you require a tune for a certain part, then setting back to stock would be bad, like adding different injectors and turbos

in this case, adding a tune just improves drivability and performance, and restoring to stock will just be the same boring 400hp ST that you bought :)

Reactions
As mentioned before, now that you have the BDX, you’re not limited to just the canned tune. If you want more power and/or customized shifting you can go to a number of tuners that work with that device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Toadster

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #12
As mentioned before, now that you have the BDX, you’re not limited to just the canned tune. If you want more power and/or customized shifting you can go to a number of tuners that work with that device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
recommendations for tuners who use BDX?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
I would take a look at Unleashed Tuning.
Unleashed is good but his tunes are "Canned" as well. I had one on my 5th gen Explorer and no data logging was done. Just purchased it and was sent the tune file. great response and customer service though.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Torrie (Unleashed) does custom tuning. He is know for custom tunes, not canned tunes. Many Tuners will start you out with a base tune that fits a lot of customers' needs. If you want something different or something more, he does updates. Torrie has a good reputation and won't send you a tune where the wheels will come off the first time you run it. He is very responsive. Though the below mentions Mustangs it's the same for any vehicle he tunes.

https://tuning.americanmuscle.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003128383-About-Unleashed-Tuning-Custom-Tunes#:~:text=Unleashed Custom Tunes.,is running healthy and strong.

Unleashed Custom Tunes. When you order a set of custom tunes from Unleashed Tuning they are written specifically for your personal Mustang and your particular modifications with your choice of octane level. Unleashed Tuning even provides post sale calibration support to assure your Pony is running healthy and strong.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Torrie (Unleashed) does custom tuning. Many Tuners will start you out with a base tune that fits a lot of customers' needs. If you want something different or something more, he does updates. Torrie has a good reputation and won't send you a tune where the wheels will come off the first time you run it. He is very responsive.
oh no shade towards Torrie - his responsivness and customer service was great I just got a canned tune from him and he never asked for data logs with my 5th Gen. He asked me what i wanted for performance and then sent the file to me less than 2 hours later. maybe that was an extra charge? *srugs*

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Yeah, no offense intended here. I don't believe Torrie charges extra when you buy a custom tune. I just didn't want members to get the wrong idea.

I don't want to jack this thread but if people are looking for a Tuner, Boostking and TL Tech are good people to work with and also worthy of consideration. They use a variety of devices and tune to more than one.

Last edited:
Reactions
recommendations for tuners who use BDX?
I have tunes from Unleashed, Gearhead and BoostKing and they will all tune on the BDX. All are very good, experienced tuners and have been around for some time. I've also heard good things about JDM who has also been tuning for a long time, but I don't have any of their tunes. Not sure on PBD, but think they tune on SCT.

After trying the 3 above, this is my feedback based on the tunes I got from them.
Unleashed - Provides the most overall power and is set up as more of a "race" tune for dedicated octane (Mine is set up for 94 octane). Great if you want an aggressive tune
GearHead - Best option for an AO tune. Great power for a AO tune with a smooth delivery and shifting that just seems so very very good for a DD (insert "Wife friendly", lol). This one is really hard to beat for the price.
Boostking - Really good power for a dedicated octane DD tune. Shifting is nice and crisp and leans more to a performance shifting feel then the GH tune, but not as aggressive as the Unleashed tune. I have both a 91 and 94 tune from BK. the 94 tune is a tenth slower in the 1/4 (according to Dragy) then the Unleashed tune.

OP
Toadster

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #19
Gearhead is looking pretty good IMHO, stellar price

but how much different will it be from the box BDX tune? my intercooler comes soon, so I'd probably wait to tune it post intercooler :)

Reactions
Gearhead is looking pretty good IMHO, stellar price

but how much different will it be from the box BDX tune? my intercooler comes soon, so I'd probably wait to tune it post intercooler :)
Pretty large difference. My best stock run was 13.9, I didn't try much with the canned tune, but best was around 13.2. Best Gearhead was 12.65. All on 94 with Whipple intercooler only. I launch around 2100-2200 and live at 4000ft, so I'm sure others could get better numbers at a higher launch and lower DA.

Someone posted a 12.01 on the GH AO tune with 93 and about a e30 mix. That's pretty impressive IMO.