Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Who Has Downpipes + Thermal Exhaust ??

Reactions
Borla Attack on steroids !!
LOL yeah it's nasty man as you heard.
When you rev it in park it sounds like a V8 at least thats what a friend said to me. His words: "when you hear that thing coming you know it sounds mean."
I just changed out the x pipe this afternoon after sending those videos because I couldn't take the drone (3rd video).
It just sounded so distorted almost like straight piped.
I put back the Borla mid resonator and it's now a lot more quiet when cruising but it does have bite on WOT like that ba ba ba ba Harley Davidson sound which I like.
Tbh, I'd like the sound level to somewhere right between what it was with the x pipe (too loud and obnoxious) and what it is now with the resonator (still a bit too quiet) but idk what to do next without spending anymore money.
uhhh custom is the way to go no doubt. I did it all wrong. My original intention was to just have some sound on the ST so I figured the Borla would do the trick.
But....then it wasn't loud enough so needed to remove the mid resonator...then I wanted those downpipes and ya...
Moral of the story for anyone is know what you want before you start the frankenstein project haha.

Reactions
I recorded my 4th gear pull for my latest ZFG revision (Fenfab intake, Thermal). Quite a bit of TC slippage at ~3500 RPM. Windows up and FENG disabled. I have been reluctant to post audio because it's just not the same as in person. Audio is terrible if you are using your phone, laptop or monitor speakers, best to use headphones or a high quality external speaker.

In case you were wondering 4th gear goes from ~22mph at ~2k RPM to 90mph at 6300 RPM.

Mods are ZFG e50, Fenfab Intake and catted DPs, Whipple, Thermal cat-back. Running stock BOV that is venting to atm. I am working on a recirc hose assembly that would dump back into the Fenfab intake.

Last edited:
OP
F=MA

F=MA

Reactions
Thread Starter #23
With all the mods going on what changes (good or bad) did you notice when you specifically added the downpipes.

Reactions
I had e50 and Whipple installed prior to downpipes. I added the Fenfab catted downpipes and ran with the stock exhaust for ~1 month. The biggest change was you could hear the turbos spool up a little more at lower RPMs. The stock exhaust does a very good job at keeping things quiet. Adding the DPs didn't make it much louder, maybe just grumbled a tad bit more. Tough to quantify the performance benefits as I did e50 at the exact same time. I went from ~12.6ish to 12.0 in the quarter and 4.17 to 3.77 in 0-60 runs. I think the biggest gain was the 1/4mi trap speed though. Picked up 10mph there after e50 and DPs.

Edit: forgot to mention the increase in rattling of the OEM flex pipes after DP install. This has nothing to do with the manufacturer of the DP and more to do with the crappy quality of the OEM flex sections. Completely went away after installation of the Thermal mid pipes!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions
I had e50 and Whipple installed prior to downpipes. I added the Fenfab catted downpipes and ran with the stock exhaust for ~1 month. The biggest change was you could hear the turbos spool up a little more at lower RPMs. The stock exhaust does a very good job at keeping things quiet. Adding the DPs didn't make it much louder, maybe just grumbled a tad bit more. Tough to quantify the performance benefits as I did e50 at the exact same time. I went from ~12.6ish to 12.0 in the quarter and 4.17 to 3.77 in 0-60 runs. I think the biggest gain was the 1/4mi trap speed though. Picked up 10mph there after e50 and DPs.

Edit: forgot to mention the increase in rattling of the OEM flex pipes after DP install. This has nothing to do with the manufacturer of the DP and more to do with the crappy quality of the OEM flex sections. Completely went away after installation of the Thermal mid pipes!!!!
I purchased Vibrant flex couplings to save some money by keeping the OEM piping.
Getting them welded on later today in hopes it will fix the rattle.
Since the dp's were put on, the rattling is beyond annoying.
The Thermal mid pipes are wonderful but I didn't want to spend 400+ and went with the cheaper alternative.
Both flex coupling cost me just over 100 plus the local shop is charging me 150 to cut and weld so 250 total.
I believe either route will fix the rattle. Ford cheeping out yet again especially on the stock inter cooler.

Reactions
You think
LOL yeah it's nasty man as you heard.
When you rev it in park it sounds like a V8 at least thats what a friend said to me. His words: "when you hear that thing coming you know it sounds mean."
I just changed out the x pipe this afternoon after sending those videos because I couldn't take the drone (3rd video).
It just sounded so distorted almost like straight piped.
I put back the Borla mid resonator and it's now a lot more quiet when cruising but it does have bite on WOT like that ba ba ba ba Harley Davidson sound which I like.
Tbh, I'd like the sound level to somewhere right between what it was with the x pipe (too loud and obnoxious) and what it is now with the resonator (still a bit too quiet) but idk what to do next without spending anymore money.
uhhh custom is the way to go no doubt. I did it all wrong. My original intention was to just have some sound on the ST so I figured the Borla would do the trick.
But....then it wasn't loud enough so needed to remove the mid resonator...then I wanted those downpipes and ya...
Moral of the story for anyone is know what you want before you start the frankenstein project haha.
if you’d have just put the DP while keeping the Borla resonator you might have been where you wanted?

Reactions
You think

if you’d have just put the DP while keeping the Borla resonator you might have been where you wanted?
That's what I have now. It sounds pretty good for sure and almost no drone.
It is cold outside like 0 to -2C so it gets louder.

Reactions
I do, but I've heard videos online and they just don't sound the same. Fenfab catted dps installed for ~1month, Thermal installed yesterday. Sounds nasty mean at WOT but very tame and quiet when normal driving around.

I'll try to record something tomorrow. Watching F1 now and don't plan on going anywhere tonight.
I am new to all of this, what is Thermal exhaust and what are dps ?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
dps are Down pipes- or the pipes that connect to the turbos and connecting to the exhaust. You could just think of them as the catalytic converters. Thermal is a brand of a cat-back exhaust.

Reactions
I do, but I've heard videos online and they just don't sound the same. Fenfab catted dps installed for ~1month, Thermal installed yesterday. Sounds nasty mean at WOT but very tame and quiet when normal driving around.

I'll try to record something tomorrow. Watching F1 now and don't plan on going anywhere tonight.

Reactions
Anyone know if SPD DownPipes are ‘50states legal’? One site says they are but the actual spd Performance doesn’t say that.

Reactions
Anyone know if SPD DownPipes are ‘50states legal’? One site says they are but the actual spd Performance doesn’t say that.
No, they are not but not sure it really matters if you don’t throw a code. Unless you’re in California that checks the physical pipes during an inspection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F=MA

F=MA

Reactions
Thread Starter #36
Yes it is very important for California to check every exhaust system in the state considering their annual forest fires generates half of the world's pollution each year. True story! I am sure the Canadian government is not missing out on this money grab either.

shark-tale-true-story.gif iota-tanglevision.gif

Reactions
Yes it is very important for California to check every exhaust system in the state considering their annual forest fires generates half of the world's pollution each year. True story! I am sure the Canadian government is not missing out on this money grab either.

View attachment 8992 View attachment 8993
Thankfully no emissions testing up here. It was in a few provinces and actually ditched over the past few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F=MA

F=MA

Reactions
Thread Starter #38
That's good to know.

Reactions
Do I need to purchase new downpipes gaskets for the SPD Downpipe install? Or do you just use the factory one again?

Just want to make sure I have everything on hand before I drop the car off for the install.

Last edited:

TTT

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Do I need to purchase new downpipes gaskets for the SPD Downpipe install? Or do you just use the factory one again?

Just want to make sure I have everything on hand before I drop the car off for the install.
Gaskets we’re not included with my SPD downpipes. Local dealer had them in stock.
They are stainless and IMO should be replaced for the best seal.