Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Who added Borla Resonators to the Borla S-Type Install?

F=MA

Reactions
Trying to find the post of someone here who thought the Borla S-type was too loud and they toned it down by adding Borla resonator(s). It listed the Borla part number for the resonator(s). Would also like to hear an audio file of the difference if possible.

OP
F=MA

F=MA

Reactions
Thread Starter #2
Anybody?

OP
F=MA

F=MA

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Anybody modify their Borla S-type exhaust on their 2020 Explorer ST to quiet down the tone?

Reactions
Yes. I added some small Borla resonators. Made the car a joy to drive all the time. Still has a great sound but a tad quieter. Jm F3F52CBA-943F-4D70-B641-22EC98EFD3AB.jpeg F3F52CBA-943F-4D70-B641-22EC98EFD3AB.jpeg

Reactions
Then why add the exhaust? Just should have changed the tips and been done

OP
F=MA

F=MA

Reactions
Thread Starter #6
If Borla would have sold the mufflers seperately with the black tips or even sold the black tips seperately I would have done that. I did research for months to find a tip I liked but wasn't finding what I wanted which was the Borla look with an acceptable exhaust tone. I like the way the Borla S-type sounds on start-up however it is a bit loud for me on acceleration.

Reactions
Then why add the exhaust? Just should have changed the tips and been done
Trust me it doesn’t sound like a Singer sewing machine like stock does. Still has a nice rumble at idle and a nice bark when you got your foot in it. 100% better sounding and looking! Jim

OP
F=MA

F=MA

Reactions
Thread Starter #8
Yes. I added some small Borla resonators. Made the car a joy to drive all the time. Still has a great sound but a tad quieter. Jm View attachment 2824 View attachment 2824
So Borla updated their website over the past few months. There used to be a 2.25" straight through resonator starting with a 6 series part number. Now they are listing crate mufflers. Do you remember the part number for the resonators? I assume they were the 2.25" in/out?

OP
F=MA

F=MA

Reactions
Thread Starter #9
Trust me it doesn’t sound like a Singer sewing machine like stock does. Still has a nice rumble at idle and a nice bark when you got your foot in it. 100% better sounding and looking! Jim
Finally found what I was looking for. You had previously posted Borla #400937 resonators. Just ordered a pair from Summit.

Last edited:
Reactions
Finally found what I was looking for. You had previously posted Borla #400937 resonators. Just ordered a pair from Summit.
Finally found what I was looking for. You had previously posted Borla #400937 resonators. Just ordered a pair from Summit.[/QUOTE

OP
F=MA

F=MA

Reactions
Thread Starter #11
Oh the sweet sound of a stock 2020 ST idling by a fireplace.

Reactions
Can you post a sound clip of the Borla with the resonators?

OP
F=MA

F=MA

Reactions
Thread Starter #16
So anyway I started this post. I had ordered the resonators to add to my Borla S-type system and then got to the local Midas and they didn't have a tig welder so I shipped them back. I was also afraid they would dick something up installing the resonators. My Borla S-type continues to burn-in as today I heard the gurgle-pop in the exhaust as I was slowing down from 30 mph approaching a traffic light in Normal mode. I do not mind the tone of the Borla S-type system now.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I doubt you’ll find many normal exhaust shops with a TIG. MIG is fine on an exhaust and 10X faster. TIG work is usually at a custom fab shop. Hell I had a TIG sitting there when I built mine...we still grabbed the MIG.