Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Which set of Downpipes?

SR56

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I have two dyno results from completely stock STs: Both on 93. One is 324HP/374 torque. The other is 332HP/378 torque. Easily found by searching this site.

I think you'd have to admit by your posted numbers though that you're 40+ lb/ft torque and 23+ more HP than the best of those. And even though you say you don't shill for a vendor, it's interesting that you changed your "avatar" to one that shows an OStar logo in the back.

If, as you say "I'm just a guy who likes data and info." then I believe you'll appreciate that those numbers might cause another "data and info" guy to be a bit skeptical.
Jesus, dude. It's a picture I took that the avatar wouldn't let me frame any better. My ugly face was far to the left. I tried 3 other pics of just my truck and it cut off most of the vehicle. Cutting off the banner just seemed stupid. I added 3 I took that day for you to pick apart.

I thought it was a cool pic of my truck on a dyno at the shop I happened to use. Now you f**ked up my Sunday and I'll take another pic to make sure you're happy. I'll send it to you for your approval to make sure I meet your satisfaction and skepticism.

I searched on here as well as FB. But I'm sure as you know if you don't have exact search terms the results may vary. I'm sure you'll tell me I'm wrong and break it down for me how easy it was for you to get multiple results, though. Thanks in advance.

I know enough to know every dyno is different. Even the tech was like, it's just a tool. One other person that was on that same dyno ran lower than I did on peak HP stock. I don't know why. I don't care, as it is what it is. Maybe their dyno needs a calibration. Maybe I got lucky. Does it translate to real world times? Who knows. Whenever I find time to get slips and figure out the Dragy we'll see what it does. Right now it feels like a heavy 13-second truck, which is likely without the tune and me skipping a few meals.

Next thing you know you'll be telling me my smoker temperatures are all wrong and jack up my other favorite hobby. I use a Kamado Joe, so I'll shill for them while I'm at it.

Enjoy your Sunday.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You seem to be very defensive about my observations. Nor do you address anything about HP/torque numbers that I bring up.

Sorry you feel forum members asking intelligent questions has "f**ked up ...Sunday" for you. Perhaps you think this forum shouldn't question anything you have to say?

You only changed the avatar (after posting kudos to OStar), but no that's not a shill? Your sarcastic point about asking my opinion about your next pic? It's the tech's fault? Perhaps the dyno's messed up? You can't do a search? Finally, I'm accused about questioning your "smoker temperatures". Really?

When someone starts replying with false equivalencies, they lose credibility.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST (AWD)
Here's my question - Should I go ahead and throw in a tune now and leave it be? (OR) Do i go down pipe then throw a tune for the questionable argument of more power?

After days debating with myself and some extra bonus money to burn from work, I am now open to the (down pipe) idea. However, my field of expertise is not in cars or motors and after reading this post I have legit questions and lean on this community for dialogue and information sharing. I'm a virgin stock from a tuning perspective meaning, never done any tunes on my 22 ST yet and currently at 15K miles w/oil changes every 5K. Love this SUV and been enjoying every minute of it without any electrical or mechanical problems. However, I would like now to give it more "gitty-up". My mods are minimal (CVF InterCooler | AFE Intake | Borla S-type Cat). No mid pipe changes at this time.

TMAC raised a good point never read here before about the conflict and denial of warranty with aftermarket cats regarding power train. Then again, how often to do we read about power train issues post a down pipe swap. I'm surprised no one else is asking more questions.

Reactions
Was told that by the person who has them on their car. Popped a CEL immediately and you sent defoulers.
So are all these catted downpipes illegal ?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 explorer ST
So are all these catted downpipes illegal ?
I believe the Gesi cats you can get for a large expense are epa approved the rest are technically illegal yes, hence why they say off-road/ track use only. Luckily where I live we don’t have smog, so I threw some Cvf ones on and they’re a blast.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 explorer ST
Here's my question - Should I go ahead and throw in a tune now and leave it be? (OR) Do i go down pipe then throw a tune for the questionable argument of more power?

After days debating with myself and some extra bonus money to burn from work, I am now open to the (down pipe) idea. However, my field of expertise is not in cars or motors and after reading this post I have legit questions and lean on this community for dialogue and information sharing. I'm a virgin stock from a tuning perspective meaning, never done any tunes on my 22 ST yet and currently at 15K miles w/oil changes every 5K. Love this SUV and been enjoying every minute of it without any electrical or mechanical problems. However, I would like now to give it more "gitty-up". My mods are minimal (CVF InterCooler | AFE Intake | Borla S-type Cat). No mid pipe changes at this time.

TMAC raised a good point never read here before about the conflict and denial of warranty with aftermarket cats regarding power train. Then again, how often to do we read about power train issues post a down pipe swap. I'm surprised no one else is asking more questions.
Honestly they can absolutely deny a claim on your power train from the high flow downpipe. I had my local dealer install mine but yeah it can definitely affect warranty. The engines on these are very stout, it’s the electronic and transmission that have issues. So the electronic would still be covered the trans maybe not. Thee best thing for the trans is getting a good tune and regular fluid changes.

Explorer ST Posts