Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Which set of Downpipes?

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Has anyone done a comparison between the various downpipes on the market?
I am looking at the CVFab and Whoosh versions. The SPD downpipes look nice but not nearly nice enough at nearly double the price of the others. I’m sure there are others to consider as well.

So what are everyones’s recommendations and experiences with the pipes they have chosen?

OP
FLHRXS
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #2
I guess (at least for me) it doesn’t matter anymore since I just pulled the plug. I couldn’t resist the current discounted price on the CV Fab downpipes at $540 shipped to my front door.

That said, I’m still interested understanding whether there are any differences.

V3nom3nom

Nurse
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Only big difference between whoosh and cvf is the heat shields.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
you forgot to throw in FenFab to your list :)

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
You’re paying less because reportedly they use 200 cell cats that require defoulers. SPD and FenFab use 400 cell epa legal cats…which cost more.

SR56

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
You’re paying less because reportedly they use 200 cell cats that require defoulers. SPD and FenFab use 400 cell epa legal cats…which cost more.
The Whoosh claim to be 400 cell as well.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

OP
FLHRXS
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
As does CVFab

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Maybe now…but they didn’t start with them. I know where some of their pre-production parts are and they’re not 400.
Here’s a hint…if you need defoulers it’s a cheap cat.

OP
FLHRXS
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
I don’t know what those are but it doesn’t say anything about them here: https://www.cvfab.com/products/st-dp. Just says 400 CELL. How do you tell if the cats aren’t good?

Reactions
It seems that everyone is using a 400 cell count car now. Seems to be relatively recent and likely being done to keep the EPA “monkey” off their backs.

SPD and P&L offer GESI cats (option on the SPD) which are very good, but expensive for sure. I’m not seeing a major difference in materials used between the options.

Personally I really like Brett’s craftsmanship, so the plan is to go that route and order hot-side pipes at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
There are different levels of converters….from cheap to GESI. SPD offers GESI as an option now and someone else did as well a while back…I doubt there’s many people wanting to pay for those. A high quality 400 cell cat will not need a defouler. A low quality cat usually will….a 2-300 cell cat definitely will.

Last edited:

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
I haven't installed my CV DP's yet. Will I have a problem in anyone's experience?
I am not familiar with these "defoulers" can someone explain?
Thanks

OP
FLHRXS
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #13
There are different levels of converters….from cheap to GESI. SPD offers GESI as an option now and someone else did as well a while back…I doubt there’s many people wanting to pay for those. A high quality 400 cell cat will not need a defouler. A low quality cat usually will….a 2-300 cell cat definitely will.
Dang it. So besides the $2500 SPD option, which downpipes have cats without them?

I confirmed with CVFab that they do have them. Below is their response:

“[T]here are two defoulers in the box for the two lower o2 sensor holes on the cats themselves. It’s standard for any aftermarket high-flow downpipes from any brand.”

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
Dang it. So besides the $2500 SPD option, which downpipes have cats without them?

“[T]here are two defoulers in the box for the two lower o2 sensor holes on the cats themselves. It’s standard for any aftermarket high-flow downpipes from any brand.”
Now I got to go look in the box again to see if I have them.
Plus my installer insists that my tune needs to be reworked after the install.

Reactions

The regular SPD’s should not require defoulers. Same with Fen Fab. I’m not sure about Woosh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Regarding downpipes is there any value to the stock parts once you replace them?

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Exp ST
To be clear, we use 400 cell cats. We do not use 200 cells. Some of the other guys claim no CEL on 400 cell cats but have had them pop historically (at which point they provide defoulers to customers who reach out to them) - on other platforms as well. Others also include defoulers in the box - that's not exclusive to us.

We state 400 cells on the product list as that is what is, and has always been, on the product. We include defoulers as a "fail safe" more than anything. Historically the last thing a person wants to do in the rare case of a CEL popping is go back under and install defoulers afterwards (from our experience).

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Exp ST
Maybe now…but they didn’t start with them. I know where some of their pre-production parts are and they’re not 400.
Here’s a hint…if you need defoulers it’s a cheap cat.
Addressed this in the comment above, but since it's referencing us I feel we should reply and say this is also not correct.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Addressed this in the comment above, but since it's referencing us I feel we should reply and say this is also not correct.
Was told that by the person who has them on their car. Popped a CEL immediately and you sent defoulers.

OP
FLHRXS
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #20
I have reached out to a few manufacturers to see which ones use defoulers. Will report back if they respond.