Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

What turbosmart BOV for the 21 ST?

Reactions
So I want to get one, Ta-0223-1066
is the one I though was needed but when you go to lethal and a few other sites, they have :TS-0223-1096 as the part number. Which one is the one I need?

OP
T
Reactions
Thread Starter #2
TS-0223-1096 talked to Turbosmart and that’s the part number for our ride they recommend.

NappyNick

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Is a tune required for these.

ST_Murdered

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Can I ask why you're upgrading your blow-off valves on these weak little 6 cylinder engines? Not trying to be a dick, I just really don't know the answer.

Blow-off valves are for extreme pressure build-up on the cold side of a forced induction system - as a safety to protect the system. We're talking about a really small system here, not a 2000hp system with tons of pressure. Is this really necessary? Or is this hype?

I'm asking because I'm looking to boost my numbers to around 600 - 700hp and I am brand new to this scene. Are these engines made of all plastic? I noticed the oil pan is. LOL!

DoingOK

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
It's a better made product than the plastic Ford BOV. Also, horsepower is irrelevant overall in this situation in regards to pressure.

ST_Murdered

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Actually, when we're talking about horsepower, BOVs, and pressure - we're talking the cold side - we're talking about forced-induction. That means we're talking about turbos (in the ST) and that has everything to do with horsepower being relevant to pressure. It is especially relevant if I decide to upgrade the turbos to create more horsepower.

But thanks for letting me know you're swapping out the plastic fantastic for an aluminum product. I get it. But. if there isn't really any pressure here I'm not sure why you'd replace it - ah, what the heck. It's just money.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Actually, when we're talking about horsepower, BOVs, and pressure - we're talking the cold side - we're talking about forced-induction. That means we're talking about turbos (in the ST) and that has everything to do with horsepower being relevant to pressure. It is especially relevant if I decide to upgrade the turbos to create more horsepower.

But thanks for letting me know you're swapping out the plastic fantastic for an aluminum product. I get it. But. if there isn't really any pressure here I'm not sure why you'd replace it - ah, what the heck. It's just money.
Irrespective of horsepower, the stock blowoff valve was designed for stock power. An upgraded blowoff valve provides for more stable boost pressures, which in turn helps prevent boost from bleeding, which increases spool speed. At the power levels you seem like you are after, compressor surge is definitely going to be a concern as well (have you SEEN how small these turbos are???). For ALL of those reasons, a turbosmart is a smart investment. Plus it makes cool whooshing noises.

Reactions

Ya can't go pshhhhhhhh without one! Gotta keep up with the Subaru boys.

DoingOK

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions

I may have confused you with my response.....it is irrelevant in my particular application. I'm very well versed in high horsepower and forced induction applications. The swooshy sounds are minimal and I much prefer the whine of a supercharger. :cool:

Z06 engine bay.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Looking at the 2 Turbosmart BOVs available, is the only difference between the 1096 Dual Port and the 1296 Plumb Back that one gives whooshy angry snail noises and one is silent? Is there any performance or reliability advantage to one over the other?

ST_Murdered

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I much prefer the whine of a supercharger.
Oh, for sure - all day long! I'd make it my ring tone if I could figure out how to do that! No, wait, maybe the exhaust note should be the ring tone...

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Looking at the 2 Turbosmart BOVs available, is the only difference between the 1096 Dual Port and the 1296 Plumb Back that one gives whooshy angry snail noises and one is silent? Is there any performance or reliability advantage to one over the other?
you got it. noise vs no noise. you CAN faintly hear the plumb back though--its not 100% silent.

OP
T
Reactions
Thread Starter #14
Can I ask why you're upgrading your blow-off valves on these weak little 6 cylinder engines? Not trying to be a dick, I just really don't know the answer.

Blow-off valves are for extreme pressure build-up on the cold side of a forced induction system - as a safety to protect the system. We're talking about a really small system here, not a 2000hp system with tons of pressure. Is this really necessary? Or is this hype?

I'm asking because I'm looking to boost my numbers to around 600 - 700hp and I am brand new to this scene. Are these engines made of all plastic? I noticed the oil pan is. LOL!
In my case? Only the noise lol. It’s not nearly as loud as the bypass adapter, it’s just loud enough to make me smile when going past a tuner guy lol

Reactions
So I want to get one, Ta-0223-1066
is the one I though was needed but when you go to lethal and a few other sites, they have :TS-0223-1096 as the part number. Which one is the one I need?
The TS-0223-1066 is the one I have in my 2021 ST.

Reactions
i just did the recirc version. sounds a tad louder. still nice for daily driving. i seemed to get an MPG boost. i think my stock one was leaking. if you want to see step by step instructions go ahead and see the post i just made with the install video in it.