Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

What is missing on the 2022 ST from factory

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
After checking a bit of research on roof rail, it looks like there is no easy fix.

1, I could not find any aftermarket rails for explorer. Ford dealer was not very enthusiastic about selling new one either.
2, it's not an easy DIY solution even if you get the part. I would not venture into multiple interior trims and headliner removal on a brand new car.

Any tips from experienced owners here?

PS: I installed aftermarket rails (functional but cheap) and cross bars on my previous Honda, all by myself, only for looks.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
After checking a bit of research on roof rail, it looks like there is no easy fix.

1, I could not find any aftermarket rails for explorer. Ford dealer was not very enthusiastic about selling new one either.
2, it's not an easy DIY solution even if you get the part. I would not venture into multiple interior trims and headliner removal on a brand new car.

Any tips from experienced owners here?

PS: I installed aftermarket rails (functional but cheap) and cross bars on my previous Honda, all by myself, only for looks.
If you end up putting roof rails on, try to find them for a 2020 ST. Much nicer looking in my opinion. Later model years Ford just used the more plastic looking rails that were from the base model Explorer. You may find a salvage yard that will allow you to take them off yourself and that will give you the experience on how to install them on yours.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
If you end up putting roof rails on, try to find them for a 2020 ST. Much nicer looking in my opinion. Later model years Ford just used the more plastic looking rails that were from the base model Explorer. You may find a salvage yard that will allow you to take them off yourself and that will give you the experience on how to install them on yours.
Just curious here. I had never noticed the difference in side rails Screenshot 2022-12-31 143229.png for later years. Can you take a picture of the 2020 rails? Picture here is my 2022. Thanks.

hbalek

Reactions
Just curious here. I had never noticed the difference in side rails View attachment 15864 for later years. Can you take a picture of the 2020 rails? Picture here is my 2022. Thanks.
They're glossy black like your grill and other trim.

R2D2

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thanks everyone for the insights.
I really don't mind either look of it.
But since it's not very easy to fix, I would give it a pass. I'll probably look at some crossbars, that can be mounted on a naked roof.

SR56

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I got the technology package - 14 speakers and 10" screen, but not the premium technology package which includes the massage seats. Active parking was made a stand alone option, at least according to build and price.
I'm waiting on my delivery and just caught that it's not the premium tech, but just the tech.

Is this how your sticker looks?

Just wondering what's really missing. Should have the fully upgraded stereo?

No massage seats or park assist isn't a big deal. Just hoping eveything else is there. View attachment windowsticker (2).pdf

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
What I could figure out so far. There might be more things added or deleted but could not figure out.

Deleted items over the MYs:​
Cupholder ambient lights​
Rear floor mounted cup holders​
Temperature digital display with HVAC​
Motorized 2nd row seats​
Start button light​
HVAC vents in 3rd row​
Rubberized mats in small cubbies​
Availability based on build date:​
(I have all in my 2022 October build)​
Fourth bolt for rear differential​
Massaging seats​
Rear climate control​
2nd row heated seats​
Auto start stop function​
Options missing on my 22: (sad that I don't have them)​
Roof rail​
Auto parking​
cargo management option​
Reversible rear load floor​
All weather mat under the load floor​
Still Credit items : (happy that I got the credit)​
4g hot spot​
Hands free lift gate​
Added over the new model years:​
Auto e-brake in Park​
Glossy interior trims​
Folding cup holder for 2nd row​
Edit: thanks to the owners, helped in collating the features and correcting the mistakes.​

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I'm waiting on my delivery and just caught that it's not the premium tech, but just the tech.

Is this how your sticker looks?

Just wondering what's really missing. Should have the fully upgraded stereo?

No massage seats or park assist isn't a big deal. Just hoping eveything else is there. View attachment 16053

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Here's my sticker:
Screenshot 2023-01-12 065308.jpg

I did get the 14 speaker B&O system. Interesting that yours has a charge for roof rails. I don't have the charge or the rails. Mine's the 2nd row bench, which was no charge.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
The NON-Premium just means the massage seats are not included. This is how they list it when parts are not available for the massage seats.
The reversible load floor and the all weather mat under the load floor are only included in the Cargo Management option.
The roof rails were an option only on the 2022. Other model years, including 2023 they are standard.

SR56

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I did get the 14 speaker B&O system. Interesting that yours has a charge for roof rails. I don't have the charge or the rails. Mine's the 2nd row bench, which was no charge.
I wish it didn't have the roof rails, but I doubt I'll remove them seeing what a big pain in the A it is. When I was shopping '22 models, some have the "premium tech" vs "tech" so I was having a freak out mode last night that this truck might be missing something I wanted. It was hard enough to score a Stone Blue at the price I did, so my likely option was going to be ordering a '23.

Looks like only real difference is the massagers and self-park. Never had those before so won't miss it.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Same feelings here. Found something that matches 95% of what I wanted.
Let go of my remaining 5% wishes for a price below Sticker and the incentives and APR ford was offering in December for the MY22.

If I was ordering a 23, I would have added all the factory options (rails, cargo management, auto park) and asked them for auto start stop credit. Also would have gone for red or green, in place of blue.

But I would end up paying much more when it comes to the monthly payments and then I need to wait as well. Nah, I'm happy with my build today.:cool:

Explorer ST Posts