Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Can roof rails be installed after delivery?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
How hard is it to install roof rails?

Reactions
Ford dealership told me no they need to be drilled holes and they don’t want to install for that reason. If you can do it your self then go for it.
You can resell the parts that delete the rail to people who don’t want rails anymore.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Of course they can be installed. The rails use all of the same holes as the delete panels. They use a different, shorter retainer up front than the delete panels use so make sure you get those as well.
The headliner has to be dropped for access to the nuts…the rails and delete panels have studs that will drop through the roof so don’t lose the nuts as you’ll need them.
Any Ford dealer that tells you differently is wrong…period. Many of us have either added rails or deleted them…it’s a tedious job but not a hard one.
Some dealers have also told people the parts are different between cars with and without a pano roof. This is also incorrect. The parts are the same across all models.

RightStuff

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Aviator
It can be done, just much cheaper to get them from the factory. I was quoted between $2-$2500k to get them added by the dealer, that was on a ST with the moonroof.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
It can be done, just much cheaper to get them from the factory. I was quoted between $2-$2500k to get them added by the dealer, that was on a ST with the moonroof.
The vast majority of that would be labor. Anyone with basic tools and an afternoon to spare can swap them in the driveway. People are looking to trade all the time…keep your eyes open for something in your area.

Reactions
2k?? Wtf I would do it myself but wife agreed it just don’t need it for this sexy ST. I think the tech said they still have roof rails problems but idk if he was talking about our gen or last gen.
Last gen had the issue with the side pillar cracking and the roof rail coming off.

Reactions
Supposedly the issues were corrected on the 2022's. I actually had my rails deleted and the interceptor molding installed.

Reactions
Tsk tsk tsk so long to fix a issues FORD. I wonder how many people sued ford for that incident involving a accident. I remember the tech just shook the hell out of both rails and just okay then for being secured. Was in and out 5 mins but the effort seem to be low about the issue.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
I had the roof rail issue on my 18 sport, they kept coming apart and were replaced twice under warranty, so when I upgraded to a 21 ST I purposely found one without roof rails. Give some serious thought about the rails and will you really use them. I've had rails on every suv we've had in the last 20 years and never used any of them. If you want them for looks then so be it, but I think the ST looks better without them.

Reactions
Your not going to see a Jeep SRT, Durango R/T & SRT have roof equipment. The weight restrictions is low rating for the explorer roof it’s like 200lbs if I recall. Well you’ll probably see roof boxes on Audi R8 haha

Reactions
Your not going to see a Jeep SRT, Durango R/T & SRT have roof equipment. The weight restrictions is low rating for the explorer roof it’s like 200lbs if I recall. Well you’ll probably see roof boxes on Audi R8 haha
My TBSS has roof rails. The Jeeps have rails too. I believe the Durango srt and r/t also do.

They're great for kayaks or a roof bag.

Reactions
My TBSS has roof rails. The Jeeps have rails too. I believe the Durango srt and r/t also do.

They're great for kayaks or a roof bag.
I never seen one with kayaks, roof boxes but I have seen them tow trailers, trailer campers, hitch box.

Reactions
I never seen one with kayaks, roof boxes but I have seen them tow trailers, trailer campers, hitch box.
We usually take my wife's vehicle for that on account of gas mileage, but you can do it, lol.

Reactions
I want to try to tow this summer since I only towed with my 2019 explorer and that struggled tow 2500 lbs with NA

arred79

Reactions
Hi there, I just dm’d you, I’m in NY, Long Island, I have the roof rails on mine, but would like to have the smooth top look, maybe we can swap parts?
OK so I’m responding to myself here lol, but I guess I’ll put this out to anyone in the NYC/Long Island area, anyone who does not have the roof rails but does actually want them? I have them on mine but would love to swap out with somebody for the smooth top/deleted rail moldings

PM me if interested

BigAnt75

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I have a 2022 and yes the roof rails issues are still there!! Bad whistling noise comes from the drivers side rail due to it not being held down completely. Ridiculous if you ask me I’m going in to get them removed

BigAnt75

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Did you remove or the dealer?

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I had the roof rail issue on my 18 sport, they kept coming apart and were replaced twice under warranty, so when I upgraded to a 21 ST I purposely found one without roof rails. Give some serious thought about the rails and will you really use them. I've had rails on every suv we've had in the last 20 years and never used any of them. If you want them for looks then so be it, but I think the ST looks better without them.
I use mine every week, when I wash my ST and dry the roof. It is a great grab bar.