Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

What Have You Done To Your Explorer ST Today

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Installed the Steeda Vertical Link Insert. That wide open vertical link always concerned me. Very easy, but the issue was the bolts Steeda sent have a shoulder which doesn't let the flange clamp down on the vertical link. I sent them an email about it, but just scrounged in my screw stash and found a few M10x1.5x35 flange head bolts. Getting the nuts on the bolt end is slightly finicky as there's not much room, so I started the nut before the bolt was fully tightened.

This is definitely an improvement on the factory air-gap style link. The billet vertical links FenFab is getting ready are obviously better, but I figured I'd stick with this as it's cheap and the more-betterness of the billet links is outweighed by the more difficult install.
What do you mean "This is definitely an improvement..."? Is it a difference you can really feel? Pretty obvious just by looking at it and seeing the Steeda video that it stiffens the link but does it really help? The Steeda video shows some moderate torque applied to the link and seeing the link actually get bent out if shape. I've been waiting to look at mine until I go to change to winter rims but looking at your picture, your vertical link looks absolutely pristine. I'm a big fan of Steeda products but is this really something that has appreciable gains?

An analogy is the Steeda strut brace. It's far and away a much stiffer, solid piece than stock. But can anyone really say they feel improvement in handling?

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
What do you mean "This is definitely an improvement..."? Is it a difference you can really feel. Pretty obvious just by looking at it and seeing the Steeda video that it stiffens the link but does it really help. The Steeda video shows some moderate torque applied to the link and seeing the link actually get bent out if shape. I've been waiting to look at mine until I go to change to winter rims but looking at your picture, your vertical link looks absolutely pristine. I'm a big fan of Steeda products but is this really something that has appreciable gains?

An analogy is the Steeda strut brace. It's far and away a much stiffer, solid piece than stock. But can anyone really say they feel improvement in handling?
I have no data, butt-dyno or otherwise, yet to say it truly makes an improvement, but seeing the wide-open stamped steel 3-sided vertical link, I figure anything to make it more solid will help with suspension stiffness or wheelhop. So far, this is an assumption. There is no video evidence like with the subframe bushings. From experience, replacing the vertical link with a billet one on S550 Mustangs made a noticeable improvement in wheelhop reduction, so I expected the same with this car. The S550 VL is on the outside of the LCA, not sandwiched like this Explorer so it was much easier to replace with a billet one.

I will drive and see, as I did notice immediate improvements in drivability from the toe links and subframe bushing inserts, but as I'm stock and slow, I might not see as much improvement with these VL inserts as a tuned car.

Haha yes, I know the Steeda strut brace does nothing handling-wise due the design of the front end of the car. Ford knows that too, which is why the factory brace is the thickness of a human hair. But I replaced it for some visual bling and I do use it for support when I'm working under the hood. The stock one would fold like paper if I tried to lean on it.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Installed the Steeda Vertical Link Insert. That wide open vertical link always concerned me. Very easy, but the issue was the bolts Steeda sent have a shoulder which doesn't let the flange clamp down on the vertical link. I sent them an email about it, but just scrounged in my screw stash and found a few M10x1.5x35 flange head bolts. Getting the nuts on the bolt end is slightly finicky as there's not much room, so I started the nut before the bolt was fully tightened.

This is definitely an improvement on the factory air-gap style link. The billet vertical links FenFab is getting ready are obviously better, but I figured I'd stick with this as it's cheap and the more-betterness of the billet links is outweighed by the more difficult install.

View attachment 20627
I have those and the bushing braces to install on Friday along with the PIU shocks and struts.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I have those and the bushing braces to install on Friday along with the PIU shocks and struts.
Check your VLI hardware, see if you have the same bolts they included for mine with the shoulder. If so you'll need ot hit up a hardware store. The M10x1.5x35 is exactly long enough to be flush with the end of the included nylock nut.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
I installed a new Interstate battery, I didn't have any starting issues but the stock battery was shutting electronics off way to fast. My better half would leave the hatch open while unloading groceries and the lights would shut off within a few minutes. Also I couldn't shut the truck off if I was on the phone because it would completely shut down and disconnect the bluetooth. It's still under warranty but I didn't want Ford to just install another cheap battery. Also used the ForScan to reset the BMS (Battery Monitoring System) to ensure proper charging of the new battery.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
From experience, replacing the vertical link with a billet one on S550 Mustangs made a noticeable improvement in wheelhop reduction, so I expected the same with this car. The S550 VL is on the outside of the LCA, not sandwiched like this Explorer so it was much easier to replace with a billet one..
Here's an interesting thread from the mustang world:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...ks-actually-do-anything-for-us-or-what.41705/

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST

Boyd

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Got a new rear camera installed for recall 21s44 & 23s23. Also the software update for recall 23s55.

Last week did a Borla S-type exhaust, next week she gets 22" VF5's and 315 Conti's.

Keeping the GF happy and safe...

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Took it for a ride in sport mode. Just acquired one of those Dragys and wanted to see the stock results. I had about 500lbs of equipment in the cargo area so wasn't expecting much. 5.97 0-60 on the only run I did. Looking forward to some upgrades on the way.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Got a new rear camera installed for recall 21s44 & 23s23. Also the software update for recall 23s55.

Last week did a Borla S-type exhaust, next week she gets 22" VF5's and 315 Conti's.

Keeping the GF happy and safe...
Did they fix the recall? I got a notice saying the replacement didn't fix the issue so the recall was on hold and if I wanted I could go in for software "fix" but ford said it pretty much did nothing.

Do you like the Borla on the 22? I hear the notes online and you tube recordings and everyone cams sound like sh!+. So I can't get a realistic sound and don't know anyone local who has done it. I don't want it to sound like an import, and some of the exhausts make it sound like a 370z or something like that. Ick.

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
Replaced the center console cup holders cause the bottom of the front cup holder fell out .

Pic is from half way through the process.... Took longer than expected too

Attachments

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Did they fix the recall? I got a notice saying the replacement didn't fix the issue so the recall was on hold and if I wanted I could go in for software "fix" but ford said it pretty much did nothing.

Do you like the Borla on the 22? I hear the notes online and you tube recordings and everyone cams sound like sh!+. So I can't get a realistic sound and don't know anyone local who has done it. I don't want it to sound like an import, and some of the exhausts make it sound like a 370z or something like that. Ick.
Camera replacement: We never experienced the recall issue, so don't know if it's a hard fix or not. New camera works well.

We do like the Borla as far as being able to hear the exhaust more. At start up and full throttle, it has a good sound. We got the S-Type and its not irritating nor does it drone. We recently took a 6 hour round trip with mid seat passengers and I specifically asked them how it was, and there were zero complaints. Its not like those irritating import buzz bombs. I think it sounds pretty good for being a V6. No shame. However... since its a turbo V6, there are limitations. It will never sound like a healthy V8 like my Mach 1 or 427 Cobra.

FuriousST

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I bought the MBRP axle back

IMG_1696.jpeg

Explorer ST Posts