Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

What did your Ford Explorer ST replace?

2manycars4me

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Durango SRT Hellcat
2018 Trackhawk (totaled). Loved the Hawk, would have bought another one but couldn't find the color. It was time to settle down and lose a few ponies. Once I retire I'll pick up the fast car again.

Reactions
2015 Volvo V60. We are having a 3rd kid, she said we need more room, I said then I want more power. I pick it up in a couple days!! That being said, what are some must-dos when I get it. 20210501_110146.jpg received_280667233693511.jpeg

rmrenn75

Reactions
Curious to know what vehicle(s) is your Explorer ST replacing?
2020 Explorer Limited which went back under the lemon law due to multiple issues.

Reactions
A 2015 Mercedes C300 AMG Sport....it's a C300 with everything except the bigger (heavier) engine of the C63 AMG.
I still have it.

The ST was to fill a gap at home of having something to carry or tow things.

IMG_3538.JPG

Lee2000

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
2107 Ford Edge Sport

hterry

Reactions
2018 Sport 2019-11-06 14.57.29-1.jpg

2021 ST
2021-03-24 14.02.45-1.jpg

OK ST

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
I replaced a 2019 Acura RDX A-spec. Loved the looks of the A-spec and the interior is gorgeous. 2.0 runs pretty strong and handling is very good. However, the following were not quite what I expected from Acura.
- Too much road noise is transmitted through the the tires/wheels/suspension into the cabin.
- Throttle by wire is way to slow to respond, seems to take forever for the ECU to determine what to do and then act upon it, including shifting into the correct gear prior to opening the throttle body (10 speed auto).
- Fake engine sound is all wrong for the inline four turbo.
- Interior not as functional as it should have been. No place to put a phone except on the ledge behind the center console, but then you can't see the phone, plus the cubby is large enough for a proximity charger and they did not provide.

I ended up with an Explore ST because I purchased a 2020 Ford F150 about a year ago and the dealer called me to tell me that they could give me as much if not more for my F150 if a trade it in on a 2021 depending on the mileage and condition. I just wasn't interested, I love my truck and have it all accessorized the way I like it.

So i asked him if they would be interested in taking my RDX in on a trade for an ST if I liked it. Took the RDX in with 28K on the odo to the dealer and they poured over it quite thoroughly while I test drove an ST and a Platinum.

Well I immediately noticed less road noise in the cabin of the ST, handling on par with the RDX, motor has abundance of low end torque. But the characteristic I liked most was how much room i had as the driver, seat very comfortable and the drivers triangle was able to be adjusted perfectly for me.

Dealer did try to low ball me on the trade in and I started to walk away and said I'll sell to Carvana and they immediately upped the trade by about $2200. Ended up receiving about $3500 less than I paid for the RDX out the door. Dealer would not budge much on the price of the ST since they had it already marked down $2000. Found a pretty major paint blemish on the back hatch and I talked them in to taking another $500 off if I did not have them fix it.

Overall I'm quite pleased and I believe the only thing I will miss is the 24 mpg i got with the RDX.

Bel33

Reactions
2010 Ford Edge Sport. Rolled those 22"s ...

Reactions
2021 explorer ST replaced 2020 explorer ST, which had replaced 2018 explorer sport, which had replaced 2016 explorer sport, which had replaced 2014 explorer sport. I love ecoboost, and buying new cars!

Super G

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
2015 Forester XT

webibeay

Reactions
Replaced both a '17 Grand Cherokee & a '19 Wrangler

dtmenace

Reactions
’19 4runner nightshade … the seats, seating position and ride quality were not ideal.
9ABEE8A4-2973-43E6-9085-5DD0EF9CBF3B.jpeg

Reactions
2019 f250 lariat 6.7 powerstroke. They paid me 2k more for it yesterday than I did when I bought it in April of 2019. 21000 miles 5 recalls and a warranty issue with the sunroof that they didn't want to fix. It was time to take the money and run.

Attachments

V8 GOAT

Reactions
2020 Ford Raptor

I didn't really want to get rid of the Raptor, but the amount of money I made on it was just too much to turn down... I will say that I am very much enjoying the ST so far!

UPSDrvr

Reactions
Didn’t replace anything. Had a second kid and needed the room. Got tired of going to Costco with two cars. One to carry the stroller and the second to bring groceries back home.