Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Well this is interesting

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I just seen that article a few minutes ago. Saving a couple bucks I guess.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I Believe its because it makes accessing the 3rd row more difficult. Of note, the top rated telluride doesn’t have a 2nd row center console. I know that may not mean much but I say it because it clearly is not a big deal if the most popular suv right now doesn’t have that console.
I get the sting of it though cause anytime they remove stuff and the price doesn’t reflect it, it sucks.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Don't feel bad about it. Order the 3 person bench seat. It used to be a $500 upgrade and now is the same price as the captain's chairs. You'll never need to give that console a 2nd thought. I've never ridden back there but I've been told by the people that have that the bench is comfortable.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Don't feel bad about it. Order the 3 person bench seat. It used to be a $500 upgrade and now is the same price as the captain's chairs. You'll never need to give that console a 2nd thought. I've never ridden back there but I've been told by the people that have that the bench is comfortable.
I don't think a second row console should ever concern anyone to that point. It offers nothing special. I went with captain chairs for the more luxurious, open feel, and I’ve been told kids love having their own seat. Hope it’s true. I curreny have a bench in my 17 explorer.

Reactions
I don't think a second row console should ever concern anyone to that point. It offers nothing special. I went with captain chairs for the more luxurious, open feel, and I’ve been told kids love having their own seat. Hope it’s true. I curreny have a bench in my 17 explorer.
The bench seat on the 20+ are actually usable for 3 people especially the middle person. Much more comfortable, roomier and wont leave a gap in the middle when you flatten the seats down.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The bench seat on the 20+ are actually usable for 3 people especially the middle person. Much more comfortable, roomier and wont leave a gap in the middle when you flatten the seats down.
Yeah I’ve heard they improved it. Which is good! I think I could go either way. However I went captain chairs this go around. Seems like the ideal setup for kids from what I’ve heard from other parent drivers.

Reactions
Wish the middle bench seat would slide. I have a 2021 model and the left & right seats slide, but not the middle. So when the other two are moved back, the middle one juts out. :confused:

Reactions
I have a 2020 with the captains chairs second row. I agree with OP that the removal of the console is probably to make access to the third row easier. Makes sense. Probably a good idea. The 2nd row center console mostly offers two cup holders and since there are cupholders in the doors, that renders the cup holders in the console less necessary.

Reactions
I've got a 2 year old and one on the way, this is why I went captains chairs. And easier access to the back as the seats are not going to fold when there are car seats in there.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
That makes perfect sense. I'd never considered 3rd-row access with car seats already installed.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I've got a 2 year old and one on the way, this is why I went captains chairs. And easier access to the back as the seats are not going to fold when there are car seats in there.
This is exactly why I got the captains chairs. A 3 year old and 6 month old.

Explorer ST Posts