Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Welcome to the 50K club

WhiteST

Reactions
I've owned my 2020 for 2 years now and I'm really happy with it. I will say that I am also happy that I got the extended warranty. I've driven it across country from coast to coast 3 times in the past 2 years and it was and still is a joy to drive.
I'd just like to give a small report of the failures discovered and repaired under warranty so far.

~12k - Front driver side axle CV boot tore. Found grease dripping on lower control arm and flung on the inside of the rim. They replaced the whole axle with CV boot as one full assembly. Was about a half day job to repair

~25k - First intermittent backup Blue-Screen happened. Dealer said they updated software.

~48K - 2nd intermittent blue screen happened. Held off on reporting back to the dealer as maintenance was coming up and tell them then.

49.9K Brought in for pre-paid maintenance service and they discovered oil leaking under engine near drain pan. They added the UV dye and told me to come back to see where the leak was after a couple hundred miles. Diagnosis was the front axle disconnect seal failed. (FordBoss on Youtube has a few videos on this failure). Its also called the front hub actuator. That was 2 day repair and the also gave another update to hopefully fix the intermittent blue screen

50.8K I just discovered the front end of the transfer case is leaking oil possibly from a seal or O-ring. I will have it diagnosed soon and hopefully taken care of.

Even with the failures I listed, I still love this vehicle and I would buy it again in a heartbeat. I understand their working out the kinks on these new 3.0L engine chassis, and I happened to buy the first era I guess

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
We are going to start seeing a slew of these front axle hub actuator leaks as our cars age. Not even sure they fixed the problem as Ford Boss reports new ORings are failing too.

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
50,9XX as of today. Never been back to the dealer for any warranty issues…

Reactions
57k here.. 10k got a new engine due to the cam phasers taking a early departure. At 30k got a whole new rear differential housing and diff due to the half shaft seal going back and pumping the pumpkin dry.

Just did an inspection while doing and oil change and plugs this weekend, and other than some weeping signs where the cat to midpipe(I have thermal mid pipes) everything seems in order and dry. No evidence of cat cracks at this time(knock on wood).

ChrisnlBC

Reactions
55k. My tranny is pounding 7-6 gear downshift. Its a snap tibg failure with a TSB. So dropping it off Wednesday.

1000 milrs ago, replaced the aWD control module. Not covered by warrranty.

Two blue screen cameras recalls. Still does it.

Passenger seat massage and heat no work. No idea why.

Cat recall just completed.

I personally am not happy with the car and wish I kepy my 2017 Sport.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ford explorer ST
35,000 miles cold start cam phaser chatter. It’s been at service 3 days, waiting on the call. Am I getting a new engine too?

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
At 51K miles and dealer has the 2 flex pipes and one catalytic converter on order. Left side cat has already been replaced once. I am hoping this will be the last of the fixes and looking forward to many more years with the ST.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
So there really is no fix for the blue screen from what I am reading. I have received two recall notices on this issue but I have not seen the problem yet. Really don't want to hand the ST over to dealer for a problem I don't have.
A 2022 with only maybe 8000 miles on it. Not sure that I will ever get to 50000 miles or about 80000 km.

hbalek

Reactions
So there really is no fix for the blue screen from what I am reading. I have received two recall notices on this issue but I have not seen the problem yet. Really don't want to hand the ST over to dealer for a problem I don't have.
A 2022 with only maybe 8000 miles on it. Not sure that I will ever get to 50000 miles or about 80000 km.
Mine started happening at about 10K miles so don't be surprised if it starts going blue. The software update doesn't fix the problem but a new rear camera did fix it for the most part. It will go blue now but only for a second not like before where it would stay blue until you restart.

Reactions
55k. My tranny is pounding 7-6 gear downshift. Its a snap tibg failure with a TSB. So dropping it off Wednesday.

1000 milrs ago, replaced the aWD control module. Not covered by warrranty.

Two blue screen cameras recalls. Still does it.

Passenger seat massage and heat no work. No idea why.

Cat recall just completed.

I personally am not happy with the car and wish I kepy my 2017 Sport.
I loved my 18 Sport but I got rid of it due to the infamous PTU going bad, didnt want to deal with that headache. Seemed much more common than any issues new Explorer's are facing.