Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Waido Front Splitter Install

domcard

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Just received my Waido front splitter today. A little unhappy with the quality of the paint job from their end when it arrived and will most likely have to get re painted at a local body shop by me but I reached out and will see what resolution they can provide.

What would be the best way to install this that others have done on here? I was thinking 3M double sided tape with some fasteners on the underside. Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance!

Reactions
Just received my Waido front splitter today. A little unhappy with the quality of the paint job from their end when it arrived and will most likely have to get re painted at a local body shop by me but I reached out and will see what resolution they can provide.

What would be the best way to install this that others have done on here? I was thinking 3M double sided tape with some fasteners on the underside. Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance!
Pictures? Just wondering the painted condition of it.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Mine wasn’t painted…it’s molded gloss black. I can tell you now…double sided tape and/or self tapping screws won’t hold it.
I used 1/4” stainless bolts with nylock nuts and 1” fender washers on both sides every 6ish inches. IMG_8534.jpeg

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Same here. 1/4in stainless with washers and locknuts. Mine was carbon fiber and looked mint when I got it last year.

Agree double sided tape is not likely to hold up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
domcard

domcard

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
Pictures? Just wondering the painted condition of it.
See pictures. The surface has a bunch of these little bumps and divots all all over the whole splitter and the bubble wrap left an imprint on the clear coat...assuming it was completely cured before they wrapped it. Tried to buff them out with no luck so far. Will see what my local body shop says to see if they can rectify this or if it has to be completely re painted.

Attachments

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I was extremely happy with mine upon arrival. Installed same as Unbroken and your golden!!

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Those pics look pretty bad imo! I would not be happy!

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Those pics look pretty bad imo! I would not be happy!

I don't know. To me, some of the imperfections are not even visible. A lip is going to get ding'd up by road debris and even parking lot mishaps in no time. I wouldn't even worry about it.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I don't know. To me, some of the imperfections are not even visible. A lip is going to get ding'd up by road debris and even parking lot mishaps in no time. I wouldn't even worry about it.
That’s a fact. Take a look at that gloss black trim piece on the bottom of the front bumper…if there’s any miles on the car at all it’s sand blasted. I replaced that piece when I installed the lip and had both wrapped in clear PPF.

OP
domcard

domcard

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #10
The good news is that overall quality minus the paint job is very nice. Going to still see if it would make sense to get this thing refinished to some degree from a couple of the local paint shops by me. My buddy does auto body work so he might be able to fix it up for a couple dollars and a case of beer hopefully. I’ll keep you guys posted!

OP
domcard

domcard

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #11
Update: Waido Kits just got back to me and they are going to refund the paint charge which is great to see on their end. I dropped the splitter off to my buddy today and he is going to not only repaint everything but also smooth out some of the imperfections from the mold they used for $200. Thought that was a good bang for buck on this. I will keep everyone up to date and post finished pictures when the works is complete.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Did you tak
Mine wasn’t painted…it’s molded gloss black. I can tell you now…double sided tape and/or self tapping screws won’t hold it.
I used 1/4” stainless bolts with nylock nuts and 1” fender washers on both sides every 6ish inches. View attachment 18092
Did you take off the skid plate or the whole bumper? I ask because it looks as if the bolt is facing down which is smart.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Did you tak

Did you take off the skid plate or the whole bumper? I ask because it looks as if the bolt is facing down which is smart.
Just take off a little belly pan right behind the front bumper then you can reach in and do whatever you need with plenty of room to spare.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
Update: Waido Kits just got back to me and they are going to refund the paint charge which is great to see on their end. I dropped the splitter off to my buddy today and he is going to not only repaint everything but also smooth out some of the imperfections from the mold they used for $200. Thought that was a good bang for buck on this. I will keep everyone up to date and post finished pictures when the works is complete.
I would follow UNBROKEN's advice and get it wrapped in clear PPF. I have a little over 32k on my ST and the bottom of the front is trashed with road rash!

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I’ve got the carbon fiber splitter. I am happy to say I have no damage in 8k miles. Wrapping is not a bad idea!