Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Video of Diff Bolt Failure and Fords Response.

OP
Dad_Mobile

Dad_Mobile

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
Thread Starter #21
Totally glad they took care of you for sure. Had it not been a serious safety issue with other explorers, my guess is the would have given you a much harder time and probably blocked your warranty. I didn’t want to deal with them which is why I have a 2 bolt cross member and fresh bolts sitting in my garage waiting for a spare weekend.

It bugs me that they know it is a problem but won’t fix it the proper way……with 2 bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m going to do the same thing, I should have bought one awhile back when they were much cheaper!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
And, other than anecdotal, self-serving comments have you seen non-modded cars fail? I mean really? I'm not suggesting that due to supplier issues, cost, or badly heat-treated bolts that perhaps there might be a problem, but this issue is so overblown on this forum as to be ludicrous.

If you add 100+ lb/ft of torque to your vehicle via a tune and break something, I'm sorry; how is that Ford's problem? If you're going to play, you should pay- not me in higher vehicle costs due to your proclivities. And, as more than one recent poster has shown, they even fixed it under warranty! To some of you, that suggests that they are somehow guilty of something. Try this bit of critical thinking: perhaps they're only guilty of trying to do right by their customers, regardless of the circumstances.

If someone shows me a statistically significant number of documented cases of non-modified vehicles breaking, then, hey I'll jump in on your side. Until then, the only real evidence I've seen are those who have modified their vehicles (including multiple dragstrip launches) lamenting that they "broke", but Ford fixed it- those bastards!

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Mod you car? Sure you should be responsible. But in THIS case, it's because Ford decided to go with the one bolt on our STs instead of the two bolt. How many two bolts have had this happen to them, modded or not? I haven't heard of a single case.
there is a thread here and 1 other has broke in that poll ill find it and post the thread here

https://www.explorerst.org/threads/...ear-axle-bolt-fracture.3727/page-8#post-50142

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Hardly anyone has participated in that poll. I think on this forum, 3 or 4 have reported failure of their 1 bolt mount. And this forum caters to the ST enthusiast crowd. Yet ford has reported 265 failures! Like I said, I don't think anyone with a two bolt (MY2020, early MY2021...11/20 or earlier builds) have had theirs fail. No Aviators either... all two bolt.

Reactions
Hardly anyone has participated in that poll. I think on this forum, 3 or 4 have reported failure of their 1 bolt mount. And this forum caters to the ST enthusiast crowd. Yet ford has reported 265 failures! Like I said, I don't think anyone with a two bolt (MY2020, early MY2021...11/20 or earlier builds) have had theirs fail. No Aviators either... all two bolt.
Do you think 265 is a large amount? That’s not just ST’s, correct?

At the end of the day, Ford isn’t going to replace sub frames of vehicles that haven’t had a failure. It’s just not gonna happen.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
People have broken the diff bolts on bone stock ST’s, not at drag strips.

I have run one 11.9. If you compare to other tuned ST’s with same mods Im on the slow side. If my engine or trans breaks I’m not taking it in to Ford to complain. The differential has been covered in a recall and has been acknowledged by Ford as a weak point . I also know for fact they fixed other ST’s that are tuned and modified.
I'm not buying what you're selling. The "weakness" arises when people abuse their cars and then scream at poor service personnel about it.

As far as I'm concerned, FORD should've either voided your warranty or made you pay for the repair.

Lastly, you need to man up and personally apologize to everyone you involved with FORD over this.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
My poll on this forum actually over exaggerates bolt shear numbers, as FORD's own data shows much less breakage (.106%) than my poll shows (0.8%).

Last edited:

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
... If you are one in the same then I apologize. Had I known that I would have left out the whiney biatch part.
Why?

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Do you think 265 is a large amount? That’s not just ST’s, correct?
Correct, it's not just ST's.

265 would be a large amount out of 1,000 (26.5%).

265 out of 250,000 is a tiny fraction (.106%).

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer Platinum
I didn’t want to deal with them which is why I have a 2 bolt cross member and fresh bolts sitting in my garage waiting for a spare weekend.
@Dad_Mobile Sorry to temporarily hijack your thread!

@Cruising68 Would you happen to have part numbers handy for the 2 bolt cross member and bolts? I'd like to replace mine a well when I swap the axles, but the dealer is having trouble finding the proper part numbers.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I’m out of town, sorry. The correct part number is in one of the threads about the failure. If you can’t find it I can pull my receipt when I get back.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Because i don't like insulting people I am having a conversation with, simple as that.
It's not offensive if you're telling the truth and the person needs a wake up call to set them straight.

It's because of people like him that you and I pay more for our cars because of the included manufacturer's warranty costs.

OP
Dad_Mobile

Dad_Mobile

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
Thread Starter #35
It's not offensive if you're telling the truth and the person needs a wake up call to set them straight.

It's because of people like him that you and I pay more for our cars because of the included manufacturer's warranty costs.
“People like him” . I buy so many Fords this makes me laugh. I spent $250k with Ford last year, Ford hasn’t lost a dime on me. Gtfo with your bleeding heart for Ford losing money .

Let me ask you question, if you buy a new Ford and you negotiate a price under MSRP “YOUR RIPPING OFF FORD”…..

Ford had my SUV for a month, they knew it was tuned and modded but still fixed it because FORD itself acknowledged it’s a faulty part….

I’ll keep laughing at the all the cry babies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MIB

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
For sure sometimes. If you are one in the same then I apologize. Had I known that I would have left out the whiney biatch part.
Much respect for apologizing

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Much respect for apologizing
Much respect for corrections.

"Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment." - John 7:24