Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Vibration Rattle

Reactions
Hello, whenever I pull up to a stop sign or a light, and the engine RPM’s settle down to idle speed, there is a very noticeable rattle/vibration. It seems to be coming from the drivers door, but I’m not 100% sure. Before I dive in to deep, has anyone experienced this? It definitely sounds like something is loose and vibrating.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
the exhaust flex sections have been problematic. Also, sometimes the exhaust heat shields can come loose. lastly, the undercarriage covers can be loose... althiugh thats usually noise at highway speeds.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I have the same rattle in my drivers door. Not sure what it is but will be pulling the door panel to figure it out. I also have the flex pipe rattle. If I take it to Ford will they put clamps on the flex pipe that don’t work or do they replace it with new flex pipe?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Also have a rattle in driver door when radio is on. Very annoying.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Hello, whenever I pull up to a stop sign or a light, and the engine RPM’s settle down to idle speed, there is a very noticeable rattle/vibration. It seems to be coming from the drivers door, but I’m not 100% sure. Before I dive in to deep, has anyone experienced this? It definitely sounds like something is loose and vibrating.
None here

OP
bigcat1185
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
the exhaust flex sections have been problematic. Also, sometimes the exhaust heat shields can come loose. lastly, the undercarriage covers can be loose... althiugh thats usually noise at highway speeds.
Sounds like I need to crawl under the car and bang on stuff.

OP
bigcat1185
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
I have the same rattle in my drivers door. Not sure what it is but will be pulling the door panel to figure it out. I also have the flex pipe rattle. If I take it to Ford will they put clamps on the flex pipe that don’t work or do they replace it with new flex pipe?
Let me know what you find.

Nine29

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Sounds like I need to crawl under the car and bang on stuff.
I had the same rattle around the driver's door that drove me nuts. After banging around, I discovered that the cheap fasteners used to secure the soundproofing fiber board (?) attached to the undercarriage allowed it to bang against the frame. Suggest you climb under the car and start hitting/pushing all around like I did...you'll probably find the source.

OP
bigcat1185
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
I had the same rattle around the driver's door that drove me nuts. After banging around, I discovered that the cheap fasteners used to secure the soundproofing fiber board (?) attached to the undercarriage allowed it to bang against the frame. Suggest you climb under the car and start hitting/pushing all around like I did...you'll probably find the source.
What did you use to properly secure the sound board?

Nine29

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Pushed them up against the frame and then used a small dab of hot glue to hold them tight to the studs. The cheap plastic fasteners lose their grip and eventually become loose allowing the board (liner?) to vibrate against the underbody. Glue is easily removed if I need to drop it for any reason.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
We should of had you working at Ford Moto co I would of hired you

Killface0

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
For the boards underneath I bought these
Ford Part# W719609-S900
I replaced all the plastic ones with these. Seems to have reduced some sounds.

DougD

Reactions
What did you use to properly secure the sound board?
The studs are threaded and I removed the plastic fasteners and installed 1/4" flat washers and threaded nuts onto the stud. Pulls them up nice and snug. Also greased the studs to prevent seizing.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
I was having the same issues and this solved the problem! I'll replace this with a better bracket. The issue is those flex pipes. I had no doubt it was the exhaust because of how it had do with doing it at certain rpms, which was between 1300-1800

Attachments

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Was having the same issues and I narrowed it down to the exhaust system. The exhaust flex pipes are the culprit. Attached is a pic of how I eliminated the vibration completely. I'll replace with a better bracket but just wanted ensure that would solve the issue

Attachments

SmittysST

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 FORD Explorer ST
I have the rattle on the passenger side door and it seems like it is coming from the speaker near the door handle. very annoying and only gets worse when i turn radio up. I also hear a creaking in the back which seems like the rear second row passenger side seat. These rattle and noises drive me crazy. I almost expected this outs my 2 year old RAM but not my wife's brand new Ford Explorer ST. Don't get me wrong, I love driving this thing but dang, fit and finish, quality control is sub par to say the least.

RLHerm

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
I have the rattle on the passenger side door and it seems like it is coming from the speaker near the door handle. very annoying and only gets worse when i turn radio up. I also hear a creaking in the back which seems like the rear second row passenger side seat. These rattle and noises drive me crazy. I almost expected this outs my 2 year old RAM but not my wife's brand new Ford Explorer ST. Don't get me wrong, I love driving this thing but dang, fit and finish, quality control is sub par to say the least.
I agree 100%! Sometimes after work I just want silence on my way home. No radio, no phones ringing, just silence, but that isn’t possible in this Explorer ST!