Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Valve exhaust systems is need or not?

Reactions
IMO it would be a nice touch to have for performance purposes and neighbor friendly. Could we start a request for one? What are your thoughts?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I have a set of valvetronic mufflers installed on my ST which give me the flexibility to have a quiet stock sound or a straight piped exhaust sound. These are the same mufflers that Savage Garage installed on their ST

This link is to a clip of what my exhaust sounds like in loud then quiet and back to loud.

I removed the resonator and installed an x-pipe as well and when quiet my wife didn’t even notice that I changed the exhaust. The only drawback to these mufflers in my opinion is when on quiet under wide open throttle they make a sound that sounds like a blower motor on high inside the vehicle. I don’t know if it sounds that same way outside the vehicle.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You could run cutouts if you wanted. Not a big fan of the V6 sound though, not sure what it would sound like with cutouts.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Saw this the other day and sooooo tempted because of my drive for work would be nice to not be loud all the time.

Reactions
Saw this the other day and sooooo tempted because of my drive for work would be nice to not be loud all the time.
Same... I wanna do a 3 inch custom exhaust xpipe with the 3 inch valvetronic mufflers.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Reactions
I have a set of valvetronic mufflers installed on my ST which give me the flexibility to have a quiet stock sound or a straight piped exhaust sound. These are the same mufflers that Savage Garage installed on their ST

This link is to a clip of what my exhaust sounds like in loud then quiet and back to loud.

I removed the resonator and installed an x-pipe as well and when quiet my wife didn’t even notice that I changed the exhaust. The only drawback to these mufflers in my opinion is when on quiet under wide open throttle they make a sound that sounds like a blower motor on high inside the vehicle. I don’t know if it sounds that same way outside the vehicle.
Did you stop at the tips or did you not order any?

Did you self install the vac line + power or did the exhaust shop handle that too?

I'm assuming you ran the line through the pocket up to the outlet in the 3rd row?

Reactions
Why stop there? Dual 3.5" custom exhaust would be even better, right? Especially with double X pipe. If you want to spend 2 grand to gain no horsepower, you need to look at Ersatz Bros tuning products here:
https://www.explorerst.org/threads/jk-performance-products.2906/post-36551
LOL

No but seriously the tone of a 3 inch exhaust on these things sounds deeper and more aggressive. Thats the only reason I would want to go with a 3" custom, the tone.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Did you stop at the tips or did you not order any?

Did you self install the vac line + power or did the exhaust shop handle that too?

I'm assuming you ran the line through the pocket up to the outlet in the 3rd row?
I added a set of tips, due to the limited space I found a set of Porsche 997.2 carrera tips that fit perfectly.

I installed the vacuum line and power myself. That took about 45 minutes I fidgeted with how to run the line through the pressure vent in the rear quarter until it dawned on me to use a nut a piece of fishing line and gravity to find a path for the hose. For power I just used the power outlet in the cargo area. It’s currently plugged in there but I plan on splicing I to that line and having the plug installed behind the panel to keep the cargo plug open to use if needed.

Attachments

Reactions
I added a set of tips, due to the limited space I found a set of Porsche 997.2 carrera tips that fit perfectly.

I installed the vacuum line and power myself. That took about 45 minutes I fidgeted with how to run the line through the pressure vent in the rear quarter until it dawned on me to use a nut a piece of fishing line and gravity to find a path for the hose. For power I just used the power outlet in the cargo area. It’s currently plugged in there but I plan on splicing I to that line and having the plug installed behind the panel to keep the cargo plug open to use if needed.
Awesome, do you have a link for the tips?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
To save you hours of searching like I had to…what’s the fun in that…

Kapster55

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST

Are you happy with the valved mufflers? what is giving you the blower motor sounds ?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Are you happy with the valved mufflers? what is giving you the blower motor sounds ?
Overall I’m really happy, in quiet mode it’s almost unnoticeable that I have a different exhaust but when I want to open it up I can. I think that noise is just the turbulence caused by how the exhaust flows through the bend in the muffler at the exit which only occurs at WOT so not too often in everyday driving scenarios.

Kapster55

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
ok perfect. You like the x pipe versa the stock?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
ok perfect. You like the x pipe versa the stock?
The x pipe is the only thing I wonder if I should’ve waited on because there is a rough sound and it’s below the center console so you know it’s there. But live and learn…

Reactions
I did a similar thing if not the same if I read this thread correctly.
I installed a Borla Atak catback exhaust.
I removed the mid resonator and replaced with a custom X-pipe.
The sound decimal level went up from 8 to 10 or 11 however the tone of the exhaust also changed and sounds distorted on WOT.
When you rev it in park it sounds almost v8'ish or very close. When you drive at a reasonable speed with a level throttle sounds good.
When you get on it on the WOT it just sounds like a whole bunch of distorted noise.
I asked my shop if we could put a resonator in the x-pipe to try and refine the exhaust tone but they said it wont do anything.
I also get a lot of drone obviously without the resonator.
If anyone knows how to work with what I have which is Bora Atak/x-pipe to increase the decimal from 8 to 10 but not gain much in distortion, I'd be forever grateful..
This is probably everyone's dilemma lol. How to increase sound/tone with limited drone/distortion.

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST

Love the tips