Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

USB ports in center console stopped working

Mud79

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Mine hasn't worked in quite a while. I contemplated throwing parts at it, but don't really want to waste money on something I rarely use
I also haven't done any updates until today since purchasing the car new in October of 2019...

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I also haven't done any updates until today since purchasing the car new in October of 2019...
Hard to do without USB, I hear over the AIR updates are unreliable, guess you could check for trouble codes or just replace the USB hub or try reseating the cables.

1709247555957.png

Mud79

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Hard to do without USB, I hear over the AIR updates are unreliable, guess you could check for trouble codes or just replace the USB hub or try reseating the cables.

View attachment 21899
I did try to reseat the cables, no luck. Took the hub out and cleaned everything with isopropyl alcohol and still nothing. Trying the updates via WiFi. Wasting the whole day. LoL

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Codes B1252:13
B12B8:13
B1600:13
Good that you found error codes, better than a mystery, did the codes clear after the reset? Use this format to google the error codes b1252-13.

Mud79

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Good that you found error codes, better than a mystery, did the codes clear after the reset? Use this format to google the error codes b1252-13.
Codes are here to stay. Cleared them out, re-scanned, and they are back

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Can only find one of the codes online B1252:13
Have you tried an on demand APIM self test using FORSCAN?
Try self test with and without plugged in known good USB devices.

APIM Master reset, I think you lose all your settings and paired devices.

For Expert APIM advice try this site:
https://cyanlabs.net/

Mud79

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Found the problem. There is a deep cut into the cable near connection in the side panel of the console. I grabbed it and squeezed where the wire is cut, plugged my phone in, and it began connecting to Android Auto

Attachments

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Found the problem. There is a deep cut into the cable near connection in the side panel of the console. I grabbed it and squeezed where the wire is cut, plugged my phone in, and it began connecting to Android Auto
Congratulations! I bet if you had taken it in they would have charged you to replace your APIM, plus a diagnostic fee or two.

Mud79

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Congratulations! I bet if you had taken it in they would have charged you to replace your APIM, plus a diagnostic fee or two.
Thanks again for the help!