Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

USB ports in center console stopped working

Reactions
I took a break driving in the snow yesterday, parked in an empty lot and turned the car off. Woke up 45 min later, turned the car on, noticed android auto was not starting. After some investigation it seems that neither the USB-C or A ports are working anymore. Not for charging, not for android auto, nothing.
Attempted fixes included changing cables, adapters, etc. and turning the car on/off 3 times, allowing the infotainment system to completely shut down each time.
I have not checked the fuses yet, Ill do that today.
Anyone else experience this?

**FINAL EDIT**
The ports did indeed stop working during the drive, despite completely power-cycling the car. After about 18 hours I went back and started it, plugged in my phone and both ports are working fine now.

Last edited:
Reactions
I have Not heard any member report this as far as I know. Take it to the dealer if your problem continues.

OP
GBVx
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
I have not been back to my car yet today, Ill see if it being off overnight fixed it, if not Ill check the fuse, then Ill go to the dealer if it persists.

OP
GBVx
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Final edit in original post.

Reactions
I took a break driving in the snow yesterday, parked in an empty lot and turned the car off. Woke up 45 min later, turned the car on, noticed android auto was not starting. After some investigation it seems that neither the USB-C or A ports are working anymore. Not for charging, not for android auto, nothing.
Attempted fixes included changing cables, adapters, etc. and turning the car on/off 3 times, allowing the infotainment system to completely shut down each time.
I have not checked the fuses yet, Ill do that today.
Anyone else experience this?

**FINAL EDIT**
The ports did indeed stop working during the drive, despite completely power-cycling the car. After about 18 hours I went back and started it, plugged in my phone and both ports are working fine now.
Oh Great, it fixed itself. You have a Transformer.........

hbalek

Reactions
Oh Great, it fixed itself. You have a Transformer.........
It's unbelievable the number of electronic gremlins this thing has! Most are intermittent, inconsistent and frustrating to diagnose it seems. My one consistent pet peeve is every time the oil life percentage hits 96% it goes to 0% on the dashboard display and then at 95% down to 60% on down it's back to normal. FordPass Oil Life displays 96% when the other is 0%! Another annoyance is the oversensitive liftgate sensor opening every time I pass the rear of the vehicle at gas pumps or in my own driveway. Fortunately I rarely use the cargo area for hauling anything so I haven't had it close on my head since the early days of ownership when I was organizing items under the cargo area floor.

Last edited:
Reactions
It's unbelievable the number of electronic gremlins this thing has! Most are intermittent, inconsistent and frustrating to diagnose it seems. My one consistent pet peeve is every time the oil life percentage hits 96% it goes to 0% on the dashboard display and then at 95% down to 60% on down it's back to normal. FordPass Oil Life displays 96% when the other is 0%! Another annoyance is the oversensitive liftgate sensor opening every time I pass the rear of the vehicle at gas pumps or in my own driveway. Fortunately I rarely use the cargo area for hauling anything so I haven't had it close on my head since the early days of ownership when I was organizing items under the cargo area floor.
The liftgate is sensitive so I keep it disabled and only enable it when I need to open it. For the other electronic issue, you might have already answered it but have you had it checked if you have all the latest software?

hbalek

Reactions
The liftgate is sensitive so I keep it disabled and only enable it when I need to open it. For the other electronic issue, you might have already answered it but have you had it checked if you have all the latest software?
I have the latest Sync update and that's it. I'm so OCD that I regularly check my oil life % and tire pressure multiple times while driving and look at FordPass readings many times a day. Not many other owners could confidently say they have in fact observed 96% oil life displayed on the IP? I am certain that after 3 oil changes, each time when it hits 96% it goes to 0%, then goes back to normal at 95%.

jvela317

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
My usb port stopped working in the middle console. I haven’t used it since yesterday. I tried just a little while ago and nothing.

BigAnt75

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
My usb port stopped working in the middle console. I haven’t used it since yesterday. I tried just a little while ago and nothing.
have you found a fix for this issue? Mine is now out
jvela317, post: 56350, member: 7513"]My usb port stopped working in the middle console. I haven’t used it since yesterday. I tried just a little while ago and nothing.[/QUOTE]

jvela317

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
No I never had the issue fixed. It started working after a few hours but it has stopped working like 2 or 3 times since I’ve got it.

BigAnt75

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Mine I guess decided to start working again the next day. Frustrating though when the navigation that Ford uses has the arrow going down instead of going up like a normal navigation system. Anyone know a fix for this?

hbalek

Reactions
Mine I guess decided to start working again the next day. Frustrating though when the navigation that Ford uses has the arrow going down instead of going up like a normal navigation system. Anyone know a fix for this?
You can change that arrow in the settings/preferences.

Mud79

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
have you found a fix for this issue? Mine is now out
jvela317, post: 56350, member: 7513"]My usb port stopped working in the middle console. I haven’t used it since yesterday. I tried just a little while ago and nothing.
[/QUOTE]

Any solutions? My USB ports are unresponsive to any cables or phone. I checked fuses with no success

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Any solutions? My USB ports are unresponsive to any cables or phone. I checked fuses with no success
Have you tried Forscan to check for any error codes?
I think the APM or BCM module controls the USB ports.

Last edited:

Mud79

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Have you tried Forscan to check for any error codes?
I think the APM or BCM module controls the USB ports.
I'm not sure what that is. I'll try to look it up

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I'm not sure what that is. I'll try to look it up
FORScan is a software scanner for Ford, Mazda, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles.

https://forscan.org/home.html

What is a BCM on a Ford?
In automotive electronics, body control module or 'body computer' is a generic term for an electronic control unit responsible for monitoring and controlling various electronic accessories in a vehicle's body.

Audio Control Module (ACM), which is responsible for the radio, CD player, and other multimedia functions in Ford vehicles.

You can use Forscan connected to your smartphone or laptop to check the status of and reset if necessary the above modules.

Last edited:

Mud79

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST

What is a BCM on a Ford?
In automotive electronics, body control module or 'body computer' is a generic term for an electronic control unit responsible for monitoring and controlling various electronic accessories in a vehicle's body.

Audio Control Module (ACM), which is responsible for the radio, CD player, and other multimedia functions in Ford vehicles.

You can use Forscan connected to your smartphone or laptop to check the status of and reset if necessary the above modules.
Thank you for the information. I just ordered a cable and I will try to download forscan software ASAP. About to make a road trip and would love if USB ports/ Android Auto was working

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thank you for the information. I just ordered a cable and I will try to download forscan software ASAP. About to make a road trip and would love if USB ports/ Android Auto was working
Suspect the system (APIM module) saw something it did not like and shut down the USB ports, from what I've read, it should timeout overnight and turn the ports back on.

Mud79

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST

What is a BCM on a Ford?

Suspect the system (APIM module) saw something it did not like and shut down the USB ports, from what I've read, it should timeout overnight and turn the ports back on.
Mine hasn't worked in quite a while. I contemplated throwing parts at it, but don't really want to waste money on something I rarely use