Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

UPR Drain Plug or UPR Drain Valve?!?!

Reactions
Looking to upgrade the cheap plastic oil pan drain plug from Ford.

Which one did you all use and why? Just curious what others have done and any logical reasoning behind the one you chose.

FYI, I have the maintenance plan from Ford so, all of my oil changes are done at the Stealership, but I would like to have the sturdier plug regardless.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I'd keep the stock drain plug if I were you. Otherwise you'll be paranoid that they threw out your upgraded plug with each oil change. Even if DIY, vacuum extraction from the dipstick is the way to go.

Reactions
I have the UPR drain valve, but looking back I should have bought a vacuum extractor like Cdubya said. The UPR drain valve is sweet, just remove the lower splash shield, connect 1/2" ID hose, then rotate the valve. Very clean.

Reactions
Another advantage of the UPR plug is it has a magnetized end to trap loose metallic particles.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Very much like my drain valve.

Reactions
I'd keep the stock drain plug if I were you. Otherwise you'll be paranoid that they threw out your upgraded plug with each oil change. Even if DIY, vacuum extraction from the dipstick is the way to go.
I know this is getting to be a more common method of doing an oil change, but I can’t help but wonder if you’d be risking leaving any fine particles stuck in the bottom of the pan. I know there shouldn’t be much on a well running engine, but there’s gotta be something. Any thoughts?

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I know this thread is getting long in the tooth but having used this through a couple of changes I can hardly express how much I like this product:

https://www.uprproducts.com/upr-ford-easy-oil-drain-valve-for-mustang-f150-raptor-edge-explorer/

I use some clear tubing that's long enough to go straight into the drain pan and just let it go. Never worry about catching the oil or getting the floor messy. I was nervous to buy it wondering if it might leak but so far so good.

3025-02b__03387.1582900175.jpg