Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

UPR catch can and orange fitting solution.

My ST is Better!

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
This x1000.

Just take a flat blade screwdriver and start in where the orange mechanism is on the side of the connector. Just start gently prying the orange plastic part out and away. It breaks easier and into pieces quicker than you think. If you buy the new UPR connector, you don't have to worry about busting up the old 90* piece (which I doubt you would anyway), just don't go so hard at it and beat the piss out of it and possibly break the nipple off the valve cover. I don't know how that'd be possible, just take it easy, I guess.

I didn't want to sacrifice my old hose connectors, so the $9 + shipping for the new connector I could heatgun on made the install so much easier and braindead simple
If you guys are going to buy the new UPR connector, you can buy the same one from eBay $9 FREE SHIPPING, from: https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Ford-9...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649, they get it directly from UPR, because I bought one, and received an email invoice confirmation directly from UPR, minus the shipping!!

Reactions
If you guys are going to buy the new UPR connector, you can buy the same one from eBay $9 FREE SHIPPING, from: https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Ford-90-Degree-Quick-Connect-Catch-Can-PCV-Valve-Cover-Fittings-5-8-Hose/264640753743?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649, they get it directly from UPR, because I bought one, and received an email invoice confirmation directly from UPR, minus the shipping!!
Nice find! Too late for me though...just shipped.

F=MA

Reactions
So can anybody give a summary of the part numbers they ordered from UPR to complete the install of the catch can for the 2020 Explorer ST. There are various options and I do not want to come up short a necessary part. Do not know if I need an adjustable pvc valve or the optional check valve, etc.

Attachments

OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #25
You don’t need any of the optional parts unless you just want them. The basic kit comes with everything you need.

Reactions
With the cars being relatively new, do I really have to empty it every 1500? or can I wait till the oil change??

OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #27
You need to keep an eye on it between oil changes for sure.

Reactions
With the cars being relatively new, do I really have to empty it every 1500? or can I wait till the oil change??
The drain line was the only optional piece I got... Followed @FatGuyBuilds_YT 's video with the install too, makes checking/emptying much easier

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions
I had ordered the jlt oil separator any real difference between it and the upr?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I had ordered the jlt oil separator any real difference between it and the upr?

Two big differences, a) the line to the intake tube pulls vacuum even when the truck is under hard acceleration; by design a PCV valve will only have vacuum at idle. therefore you will get more oil with a upr design as opposed to a jlt design. b) the upr catch can pulls from both the "clean side" and "dirty side". the clean side separator included in the upr kit isn't necessarily important but its one of those nice to have things.

Reactions
Two big differences, a) the line to the intake tube pulls vacuum even when the truck is under hard acceleration; by design a PCV valve will only have vacuum at idle. therefore you will get more oil with a upr design as opposed to a jlt design. b) the upr catch can pulls from both the "clean side" and "dirty side". the clean side separator included in the upr kit isn't necessarily important but its one of those nice to have things.
Ah thanks for clearing that up for me

Reactions
Not having ever used a catch can, There is big difference in price as well. Which is why i've held off on ordering the UPR, they do look pretty similar; is it really worth the extra 200 bucks?
Does it come with 3 hoses as opposed to 2 in the JLT? I'm guessing the filter is probably better in the UPR as well.

Thanks for the help!

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Not having ever used a catch can, There is big difference in price as well. Which is why i've held off on ordering the UPR, they do look pretty similar; is it really worth the extra 200 bucks?
Does it come with 3 hoses as opposed to 2 in the JLT? I'm guessing the filter is probably better in the UPR as well.

Thanks for the help!
Yes, it does come with 3 hoses. Check out their website. There is lots of good info there, including an install video. In my opinion yes. Not only are the hoses much nicer quality but the diffuser is much nicer as well. In fact, holding the two (JLT and UPR) in your hand makes you wonder how the difference is only $200. I wouldn't say the UPR is underpriced (in fact its quite expensive), its more it makes the JLT feel cheap in comparison.

Reactions
Looks like there are a lot of add-ons available, are any of them worth it? O-rings, Check valves, Hi Flow PCV fitting?

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Looks like there are a lot of add-ons available, are any of them worth it? O-rings, Check valves, Hi Flow PCV fitting?
To be honest, I don't know. I didn't get any of it except for the replacement elbow fitting for the driver's side. Putting on such a nice system them having a jacked up piece with broken tabs didn't feel like my cup of tea.

CoastieN70

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Reactions
OK, I went and bought the UPR Oil Catch Can System and installed it.
Main portion of the installation is pretty straight forward and goes as the directions and UPR's video.
Now the fun part everyone is all abuzz about, the FRACKEN Orange Connector. The UPR directions will work if: a. You have girls hands (no offence intended to our female counterparts) and b. You have skinny girl forearms to go with those hands. and c. You're 6 FT 4 so you can easily reach over the fender to the FRACKEN Connector.
Now in the REAL WORLD, the one I live in, you're 5 FT 11 and have fat hands that become very large fists without effort when working in tight places and large forearms to match.
UPRs right angle pointy object tab release tool is a recipe for many puncture wounds and a certain amount of blood if one is unfamiliar with working with such lethal objects, fortunately I am versed in such mechanical combat so self wounding was held to a minimum.
After a prolonged combat session with said connector, I backed off to regroup and think matters through. After all this part of the install is a bonus and technically not required.
During my contemplation I considered breaking the hell out of the connector and substituting the orange crap for blue locking device from a removed connector but many, many, many years of aircraft maintenance has taught me that I am smarted than the FRACKEN Engineer that designed these POS connectors because some Mechanic at some time hurt his college educated feelings by showing him up. (US professional "knuckle draggers" have been known to proudly do this on many occasions.)
So I said to myself: "Self, use your years of solution solving and come up with something that will work!"
OK all you Mechs out there! How do you remove an inline fuel filter from a 60 thru 80's Ford!?! You get your Fuel Filter Tool that clamps over the fuel line and then is pushed into the connector for the fuel filter to release it!
Of course no such tool is available for this connector but the removal principal is sound, so make a damn tool and KISS (keep it simple stupid).
Shim stock! I make mine out of an Old Wounded Warrior membership card, because it was: a. I had one. b. it is flexible. and c. I could make several prototypes if necessary from 1 card.
I cut a 1/2 inch strip from the top of the card, I trimmed it to 2 and 1/2 inches in length and I then formed it round/circular by bending if around a 1/2 inch socket. I checked my fit against the spare blue connector for depth and circumference. I trimmed accordingly, a 1/4 inch gap between the ends is OK.
I then contorted myself under the hood and slipped my shim into place. When I was satisfied I forced the shim up into the connector with a broad tip flat blade screwdriver (the one I uses was 6 inches from handle base to tip, minor force is required and I tugged at the connector. Success!
After that, everything was as per the directions!
I have a new Blue 90 degree connector coming from eBay and I WILL change the nasty ass orange bastard just because! BTW my shim was .025 thick.

Reactions
OK, I went and bought the UPR Oil Catch Can System and installed it.
Main portion of the installation is pretty straight forward and goes as the directions and UPR's video.
Now the fun part everyone is all abuzz about, the FRACKEN Orange Connector. The UPR directions will work if: a. You have girls hands (no offence intended to our female counterparts) and b. You have skinny girl forearms to go with those hands. and c. You're 6 FT 4 so you can easily reach over the fender to the FRACKEN Connector.
Now in the REAL WORLD, the one I live in, you're 5 FT 11 and have fat hands that become very large fists without effort when working in tight places and large forearms to match.
UPRs right angle pointy object tab release tool is a recipe for many puncture wounds and a certain amount of blood if one is unfamiliar with working with such lethal objects, fortunately I am versed in such mechanical combat so self wounding was held to a minimum.
After a prolonged combat session with said connector, I backed off to regroup and think matters through. After all this part of the install is a bonus and technically not required.
During my contemplation I considered breaking the hell out of the connector and substituting the orange crap for blue locking device from a removed connector but many, many, many years of aircraft maintenance has taught me that I am smarted than the FRACKEN Engineer that designed these POS connectors because some Mechanic at some time hurt his college educated feelings by showing him up. (US professional "knuckle draggers" have been known to proudly do this on many occasions.)
So I said to myself: "Self, use your years of solution solving and come up with something that will work!"
OK all you Mechs out there! How do you remove an inline fuel filter from a 60 thru 80's Ford!?! You get your Fuel Filter Tool that clamps over the fuel line and then is pushed into the connector for the fuel filter to release it!
Of course no such tool is available for this connector but the removal principal is sound, so make a damn tool and KISS (keep it simple stupid).
Shim stock! I make mine out of an Old Wounded Warrior membership card, because it was: a. I had one. b. it is flexible. and c. I could make several prototypes if necessary from 1 card.
I cut a 1/2 inch strip from the top of the card, I trimmed it to 2 and 1/2 inches in length and I then formed it round/circular by bending if around a 1/2 inch socket. I checked my fit against the spare blue connector for depth and circumference. I trimmed accordingly, a 1/4 inch gap between the ends is OK.
I then contorted myself under the hood and slipped my shim into place. When I was satisfied I forced the shim up into the connector with a broad tip flat blade screwdriver (the one I uses was 6 inches from handle base to tip, minor force is required and I tugged at the connector. Success!
After that, everything was as per the directions!
I have a new Blue 90 degree connector coming from eBay and I WILL change the nasty ass orange bastard just because! BTW my shim was .025 thick.
Nice! I gotta tell you that I actually thought of doing exactly that except I didn’t have an expired credit card or piece of plastic stock. I was going to cut up an aluminum can but about that time I decided to just order the replacement connector from UPR. Nice work!

Reactions
Which orifice that UPR supplies with the can is everybody using?