Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

UPR catch can and orange fitting solution.

CoastieN70

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Reactions
Which orifice that UPR supplies with the can is everybody using?
UPR doesn't supply an orifice with the can, you can order upgraded check valves (I opted for theses) and you can purchase a https://uprproducts.com/ford-oem-pcv-snap-fitting-90-angle-for-oil-catch-can/ to use in place of the dreaded Orange bastard and save shipping costs if ordered at the same time you order the catch can.
I didn't order one with my Catch Can so when I decided I wanted one I ordered an OEM fitting from eBay with free shipping. https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Ford-9...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Reactions
UPR doesn't supply an orifice with the can, you can order upgraded check valves (I opted for theses) and you can purchase a https://uprproducts.com/ford-oem-pcv-snap-fitting-90-angle-for-oil-catch-can/ to use in place of the dreaded Orange bastard and save shipping costs if ordered at the same time you order the catch can.
I didn't order one with my Catch Can so when I decided I wanted one I ordered an OEM fitting from eBay with free shipping. https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Ford-90-Degree-Quick-Connect-Catch-Can-PCV-Valve-Cover-Fittings-5-8-Hose/264640753743?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
I installed my UPR catch can a while ago with the upgraded check valve and I got 4 or 5 orifices with it to use in place of the PCV valve. I just went with the middle size orifice and was was wondering what everyone else was using. Like I said in my post, I did order the replacement fitting for the ECSS.

CoastieN70

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Reactions
Ahhh, that would be the "Adjustable Hi-Flo Billet PCV Fitting" option at extra cost. I did not buy this option although I did buy the "Billet Pro Series Check Valves"
The Billet PCV Fitting just didn't seem necessary to me because I am not adding any thing more agressive than the LIVERNOIS tune I already have installed...

Reactions
Gah that orange fitting is such a PITA. Glad yall found this blue one to replace it because mine was demolished lol.

CoastieN70

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Reactions
Interestingly, I ordered a replacement fitting on eBay from a company called americanmusplepeformance (that's how eBay has them listed) because of the free shipping, I don't remember what UPR wanted to ship their fitting but I felt it was excessive.
When the fitting arrived it had a UPR return address on the envelope... :oops:

F=MA

Reactions
Todays project was to remove just the orange fitting and install the replacement blue fitting and the UPR breather cap on the clean side. I took a razor knife and vertically scored the 1/2" wide visible orange part in the middle of the orange connector then took a right-angle headed needle nose pliars and broke half of the orange piece out then broke off about one quarter of the adjacent black part of the same orange connector always careful not to apply any pressure to the underlying plastic nipple. This was enough to release the orange connector from the plastic nipple. Instead of using a heat gun to soften the pipe connected to the orange connector I cut the attached plastic pipe vertical to release the orange connector from the pipe. I then added a metal hose clamp and inserted the new blue fitting (# 2025-40 see above post ) into the pipe and then tightened the hose clamp and then pushed the rubber outer insulation back over the lower hard tubing. All you see is the small screw head of the hose clamp now as the outer insulation covers the rest of the hose clamp. Now with that out of the way the rest of the UPR catch can install should be easy.

Last edited:

CoastieN70

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Reactions
Todays project was to remove just the orange fitting and install the replacement blue fitting and the UPR breather cap on the clean side. I took a razor knife and vertically scored the 1/2" wide visible orange part in the middle of the orange connector then took a right-angle headed needle nose pliars and broke half of the orange piece out then broke off about one quarter of the adjacent black part of the same orange connector always careful not to apply any pressure to the underlying plastic nipple. This was enough to release the orange connector from the plastic nipple. Instead of using a heat gun to soften the pipe connected to the orange connector I cut the attched plastic pipe vertical to release the orange connector from the pipe. I then added a metal hose clamp and inserted the new blue fitting (# 2025-40 see above post ) into the pipe and then tightened the hose clamp and then pushed the rubber outer insulation back over the lower hard tubing. All you see is the small screw head of the hose clamp now as the outer insulation covers the rest of the hose clamp. Now with that out of the way the rest of the UPR catch can install should be easy.
Outstanding!

Reactions
Removed my orange fitting last night and replaced with the one everyone’s been recommending (can also validate the free shipping version from eBay came directly from UPR). Glad I was able to read through this thread before starting. What a PITA! Haven’t installed can yet though. Mocked up drain line fit this morning. Just waiting for my step drill bit to arrive so I can get WOT tube ready and also run drain line threads through bottom cover and secure with nylon locknut to make everything extra clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F=MA

Reactions
Move the WOT hole about one inch to the right of where you think it should go so the UPR hose and elbow doesn't touch the computer wiring harness plug once installedt. If you get too close to the computer plug it also restricts your ability to pull the WOT tube away from the airbox for air filter changes.

Reactions
Move the WOT hole about one inch to the right of where you think it should go so the UPR hose and elbow doesn't touch the computer wiring harness plug once installedt. If you get too close to the computer plug it also restricts your ability to pull the WOT tube away from the airbox for air filter changes.
Thanks for the tip!

Reactions
I got the UPR catch can and did the install fine but skipped this part because of the orange connector for now. Will this be detrimental?

Reactions
I got the UPR catch can and did the install fine but skipped this part because of the orange connector for now. Will this be detrimental?
Which part did you skip?

Reactions
Sounds like he left off the clean driver side fuel/oil separator. So... he basically now has a slightly bigger and better JLT catch can, because you get the WOT protection feeding off the intake that JLT doesn't offer lol.

No bender, it's actually already a huge improvement from stock with your setup, but with that clean side fuel/oil separator on, it'll stop a lot of shit even getting into the intake and manifold in the first place, so you won't have to empty near as often.

What is not clear about replacing that orange connector with the blue one is you keep all the black piece intact, do not **** with or damage anything that is black. If it's orange, break it the **** out of there and once the orange crap is out, shove that blue thing you got up in there and never worry about that orange POS connector again.

Reactions
UPR catch can done....and a solution for the orange tamper proof fitting everyone fights. Take a thin flathead and break that orange plastic bastard out of the fitting...just destroy it...you don’t need it. Then take the short hose with the blue connectors, clip the side like in the pic here and slip the blue part out...it then slides right in where the orange one was. Done in 5 minutes. The fittings are identical...only the orange and blue locks are different.
Wasn’t my idea...I just did it and took some pics. View attachment 1548 View attachment 1549 View attachment 1550 View attachment 1551 View attachment 1552
I noticed the UPR video had a blue connector but the instructions talk about the orange so I was a little confused and it took me a while to think of coming to the forum for an answer to that stupid connector, but you came through again! Thanks for the tip, my life just got a little easier, lol.