Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Universal Garage/Gate Buttons

Reactions
Worst case: Thieves break into and "Boost" your car (side window glass doesn't stand a chance with a super common Bic pen sized spring-loaded center punch), using the factory GPS Nav system you may have programed your home address into so the "Home" button works...the thief is now guided straight to your castle. They operate whatever garage door opener you have (and your car is fully functional now), pull into your garage, close the door behind them. From inside the garage they can take their sweet time (and not worry so mush about making noise) to get into your living quarters...maybe even using your own tools in the garage and BINGO...your castle is now breached and they have the run of the place. All this "Convenient" technology is also convenient for the thief.

Our conclusion is that RF is far from secure...so we avoid it where we can.
1. On our NAV systems, we punch in our town's City Hall address for the "Home" button. We can always find our way from there.
2. Garage door openers attached to the keychain, never left in the car.
3. Always-ALWAYS empty the car (transportation unit not storage/trash bin). Following the strategy of "Out of sight-out of mind" and what I teach our children: Never show a thief what is available i.e. that smartphone mount suction cupped to the windshield, or seeing the cables all over the place tells a thief the likelihood of electronics in this car is pretty good and they'll do their own "Risk Assessment" (snapping a side window glass is sooo easy and fast). So if/when a thief pears into the windows of our cars at the mall, they'll see an empty car and hopefully move on.
4. We keep an emergency "GO" backpack in the rear but have them completely covered with a large-ish piece of flat black cloth (basically invisible to see through the factory privacy glass).

We're certainly not a fortress, but do try to put up reasonable barriers to slow down the barbarians that always seem to be at the gate.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Worst case: Thieves break into and "Boost" your car (side window glass doesn't stand a chance with a super common Bic pen sized spring-loaded center punch), using the factory GPS Nav system you may have programed your home address into so the "Home" button works...the thief is now guided straight to your castle. They operate whatever garage door opener you have (and your car is fully functional now), pull into your garage, close the door behind them. From inside the garage they can take their sweet time (and not worry so mush about making noise) to get into your living quarters...maybe even using your own tools in the garage and BINGO...your castle is now breached and they have the run of the place. All this "Convenient" technology is also convenient for the thief.

Our conclusion is that RF is far from secure...so we avoid it where we can.
1. On our NAV systems, we punch in our town's City Hall address for the "Home" button. We can always find our way from there.
2. Garage door openers attached to the keychain, never left in the car.
3. Always-ALWAYS empty the car (transportation unit not storage/trash bin). Following the strategy of "Out of sight-out of mind" and what I teach our children: Never show a thief what is available i.e. that smartphone mount suction cupped to the windshield, or seeing the cables all over the place tells a thief the likelihood of electronics in this car is pretty good and they'll do their own "Risk Assessment" (snapping a side window glass is sooo easy and fast). So if/when a thief pears into the windows of our cars at the mall, they'll see an empty car and hopefully move on.
4. We keep an emergency "GO" backpack in the rear but have them completely covered with a large-ish piece of flat black cloth (basically invisible to see through the factory privacy glass).

We're certainly not a fortress, but do try to put up reasonable barriers to slow down the barbarians that always seem to be at the gate.
I applaud your thoughts about safety, but if you have to resort to all those things, I guess I'm glad I don't live in Seattle.

Reactions
If you are settled in a more secure location than Seattle (we are not in the city)...count your blessings. One last thing we teach all our children: Most things in life, good & bad...can be traced back to Leadership.