Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ugh! First Speeding Ticket

BigAnt75

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Just got busted for 87 in a 60 thought it was a 75… Saw the LEO last second and I knew he got me. Just got a ticket so could’ve been worse so who else has gotten a damn speeding ticket?? Hey at least I drive it like it’s supposed to be driven!

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
It's too easy to get a ticket in these cars! I've been ticket free the past 2 years and I owe it all to heavy use of intelligent cruise control!

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
You’re in Texas…just sign up for deferred adjudication since you past the defensive driving limit. Local Houston judge let me do it for 104/60.

OP
BigAnt75

BigAnt75

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
Great idea…appreciate the feedback!!

hbalek

Reactions
I've never been pulled over in this ST over past 3 years. I did get one speed camera ticket which carries no points, but it was a trick by a new camera on a street with varying speed limits over a 2 mile stretch, literally from 25 to 35 to 50 down to 30, etc. I'm annoyed with people in the fast lane slowing down when I pull up behind them even though no state troopers have red cruisers. If it were gray, black, silver or blue I could understand people being paranoid.

Copper2020

U.S. Navy Veteran
Nurse
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Got my ST in December, got a ticket for 92/65 in NC from a Statie. Got a lawyer and they reduced it to 9 over and 2 points. I live in Austin Tx and the cops here don’t pull you over for shit.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
You’re in Texas…just sign up for deferred adjudication since you past the defensive driving limit. Local Houston judge let me do it for 104/60.
104 in a 60! In VA that would be a trip to jail.

Copper2020

U.S. Navy Veteran
Nurse
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
104 in a 60! In VA that would be a trip to jail.
It’s a trip to jail anywhere. Must have been a very lenient officer.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
It’s a trip to jail anywhere. Must have been a very lenient officer.
Welcome to Texas…where cops usually aren’t dicks and a CHL gets you a discount 99% of the time. Up to 24 over you just take defensive driving to make it go away…combine that with some of our 85mph limits and you can make 109mph go away like it never happened. Above that deferred adjudication usually does the trick. I’ve only paid 1 ticket in my whole life but that was for 173/45…now that one I went to jail for and there were lawyers involved but it still went away under deferred adjudication after a year. All that said…in Texas you cannot be arrested for the single charge of speeding. I was arrested for reckless driving on the 173/45.

Last edited:

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
At 173 mph, how did they ever catch up to you? ;)

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Just got busted for 87 in a 60 thought it was a 75… Saw the LEO last second and I knew he got me. Just got a ticket so could’ve been worse so who else has gotten a damn speeding ticket?? Hey at least I drive it like it’s supposed to be driven!
Can you fight the ticket thru mail?
I got a speeding ticket years ago and my buddy said fight it thru the mail. you dont have to goto the court room but the LEO has to do the paper work and not get a paid day off togo goto court.
So I sent in some BS about the road needs to be re-evaluated the limit was to low and when was the last radar calibration. The office did not do the paper work needed and the courts wrote me and said he was on vacation we are postponing the date. Stupid me didnt know I had to tell the courts NO he missed the date (like not showing up to court) dismiss. I like a dummy thought they would just do it. lol wrong lesson learned but now I know if it happens again I wont miss that key part. I ended up doing online traffic school.
Worth a try and if you loose do the traffic school or what ever its called in your state.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Man, 27 over in Florida is automatic jail. My last ticket was in 2010 54 in a 45 $130. Before that, in 2006 87 in a 70 $187. When I bought this ST, my wife said, "Your heavy foot and a red car. What can go wrong?"

Paul-J

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I’ve got a few speeding tickets over the years, but I’ve written (or printed) a thousand more!

I agree, it’s extremely easy to speed in these trucks especially at night with less visual reference cues.

BeefStew

Reactions
I got a $240 ticket for 45 in a 30 zone here in ca few months ago. But I don’t really mind a ticket every few years. I see it as renewing my license to speed haha

EdMan63

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I don't want to comment on this thread and jinx myself. I haven't had a ticket in years. But back in the day I had my share when I was driving a lot of Mustangs. Lost my license twice. I once got a 102/55. Since the speed limit used to be 70 I had to pay $1 for every mile over that plus the fine. All I know is it was about $145 and I made that much in a week at that time. When I paid she said "Here's your change, maybe enough to go to lunch at McDonalds".

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
If we're going to trade stories, here's my first speeding ticket story. I was 17 years old, and had been laid off from my job.
While looking for another job, I found a part-time job with a farmer with an apple orchard who was very particular about his apples and I was the only employee. Every apple had to be carefully placed into a bag so it wouldn't be bruised and he would look them over as I was paid the princely sum of 6 cents a pound. Any apples that hit the ground had to be turned into cider in an ancient manual cider press and helping him with that would earn me a "bonus". I worked for him for two weeks before finding another job. On the evening that I picked my last apple and pressed my last gallons of cider he gave me $80 cash.

I left his place and was pulled over for 65 in a 55. The fine was 80 bucks. I stopped believing in Karma after that.

Last edited: