Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

turbosmart ontario, ca

Reactions
As an automatic , you aren't going to get the super loud "psssh" sound during regular driving . I am going to install it this weekend and make a sample video between the 2 sounds . I can tell you that if i get on the throttle and let off , it does make the "psssh" noise , even as a plumb back . Let me make the video this weekend and i will give you first shot at the one i have now....if you are still interested . I will sell it to you for $125.00 shipped .
Definitely interested.
Want to see what it sounds like.
I don’t drive normally when the wife and kid are not in the car. It’s always straight to sport mode.

FoRSe

Reactions
I wonder if Turbosmart or someone can make a video of both plumb back and dual port to see the actual difference . There are so many factors between 2 different peoples videos that it's hard to make out the differences .

......maybe i will convince myself to be the guinea pig :)

Reactions
so this is the thread that brought me to this forum. i have a couple of questions:

If i were to install this valve,
is it just a plug and play install?
or do i need to tune for changes to the turbo system?
what effects does it have on the engine performance wise?
could it hurt the engine system in anyway?
also, how many are there on the ST? ive found one, but cant seem to locate another.. is there only 1?

sorry i know they sound like idiot questions, but i dont know a whole lot about turbo engines. ive always been a N/A engine guy.
$125 is a steal for a plumb back from @BAD430BENZ

30 minutes sound right. I was trying to do mine in 10 minutes but failed. Damn big hands and the bottom bolt was a pain. See vid around the 3 minute mark on how easy it is to remove the intake to get to the BOV. (Unlike the vid make sure you use a BOV not a spacer.) I did zip tie the cable to the fan hole so the cable would stop rattling. See photo.

been running mine for a week now and loving it. It doesn’t make the sound when I’m driving it to work and back. But when I switch to the paddles I can here it in each gear.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions
Definitely interested.
Want to see what it sounds like.
I don’t drive normally when the wife and kid are not in the car. It’s always straight to sport mode.
I have mine sound clip posted for Dual Port. Just have to scroll up to find it.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST (Agate Black)
Nice, how you like it?
It's just the right amount of noise in my opinion... It's not overwhelming to the point where it'll scare random pedestrians walking on the sidewalk, but it can definitely be heard. I'm a fan and the installation isn't that difficult... Just make sure you're using a deep wall socket set and it should be a breeze.

Reactions
I have mine sound clip posted for Dual Port. Just have to scroll up to find it.
i definitely like the sound of dual port. much more aggresive.
according to that video you posted, it looked like the BOV was near the front of the engine. i thought it was on the drivers side near the turbo. am i mistaken or is there two BOVs on the engine. honestly, i haven't looked under the hood much of our ST. too busy putting the race truck together and fixing my other F150 and ranger.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST (Agate Black)
i definitely like the sound of dual port. much more aggresive.
according to that video you posted, it looked like the BOV was near the front of the engine. i thought it was on the drivers side near the turbo. am i mistaken or is there two BOVs on the engine. honestly, i haven't looked under the hood much of our ST. too busy putting the race truck together and fixing my other F150 and ranger.
The BOV is located under the air intake box.... you can actually see the existing one without removing it if you look under it from the left corner.

Reactions
The BOV is located under the air intake box.... you can actually see the existing one without removing it if you look under it from the left corner.
okay, found it. i dont know what i looked at weeks ago, i went at looked through the engine bay last night and now i see what i need.

Reactions
So i was going to do the sound test this weekend between the plumb back and the dual port on the ST but the damn company "SportCompactWarehouse" didn't send me the correct BOV . The box has the dual port part # but the plumb back is what's inside . I'm guessing someone returned this item and these muppets just resold it as is , without checking inside . Customer service at it's finest .

As soon as i get the dual port , I will finish the comparison video .

Reactions
i think someone else posted the Dual valve sound clip already. im curious what the plumb back sounds like

Reactions
i think someone else posted the Dual valve sound clip already. im curious what the plumb back sounds like
I know both clips have already been posted but nobody has posted the 2 different sounds from the same ST to give a true sound difference . I know there are comparison videos posted in this thread also but they are not of an Explorer ST .

Reactions
I will be posting the videos soon of both since i just switched from the plumb back to the dual port . I will say that the dual port is louder but not by a whole lot .

Reactions
I will be posting the videos soon of both since i just switched from the plumb back to the dual port . I will say that the dual port is louder but not by a whole lot .
Just say you like it better and welcome to the duel port club.

808st

Reactions
Bought the dual port and installed today. Install was pretty easy if you remove the air box (100% worth removing.) I have to say, it hardly goes off when driving even in manual mode. When it does go off, it’s pretty quiet. I’ll put a week on it and report back. Maybe I’m just used to driving my old Focus RS. I know it’s not apples to apples, but this dual port is quiet.

octanest

Reactions
S
Bought the dual port and installed today. Install was pretty easy if you remove the air box (100% worth removing.) I have to say, it hardly goes off when driving even in manual mode. When it does go off, it’s pretty quiet. I’ll put a week on it and report back. Maybe I’m just used to driving my old Focus RS. I know it’s not apples to apples, but this dual port is quiet.
Can report the same. My old Focus ST with a Forge BOV sounded great but hardly can hear anything with the Explorer. If I had to do it over I’d probably skip this mod.

Reactions
S

Can report the same. My old Focus ST with a Forge BOV sounded great but hardly can hear anything with the Explorer. If I had to do it over I’d probably skip this mod.
Isn't the Focus St manual ? You will never get the same reaction from an automatic .

Jump on the accelerator and then let off....you can definitely hear it .

808st

Reactions
I finally took it out on the freeway today. If you get on The throttle, then let off, it’s noticeable. I can’t make it go off very loudly when the car is in park because it limits my rpms to 4K or so. Overall, it was a fun purchase. $200+ for noise, but that’s what I bought it for.