Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

TSB on water leaks on rear hatch and radio module damage...

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
So in another thread I posted, found out that water was getting in through either the rear stationary window or the rear hatch. We took our ST in to the Dealer to look at it, and the "tech" who was the intake person who just basically writes down what the customer said and parks the vehicle for the actual techs to look at, said "the radio module is in the dash, there is nothing in the rear trim panels, except for a module for the rear seats." He then went on to say "we'll have to figure it out to see if you need to pay or if insurance will pay or warranty from Ford." My wife about bit his head off LOL. A vehicle with just rolled over 2900 miles and purchased from there 7 months ago, better be under warranty for water getting in.

Well the actual tech that is going over the vehicle just sent a video over their portal and walked around the vehicle and showing everything like the dry water drops in the trim panel and such, he stated that the radio control module is located in the right rear trim panel (where we said with the first "tech") and he thinks it is coming through the rear hatch. I sent a message back stating it looked like it was the rear right window that was leaking water and asked them to verify. But he did state there is a TSB on this exact issue. (I replied asking for the TSB number) It does state that water getting into the vehicle can short out and fry the radio module under the trim, and the weather strip on the rear hatch is prone to leaking and sometimes causing the radio module damage. So heads up all! Might want to ensure your weather stripping is tight and you have no water leeks in your rear to fry your radio modules!

I wonder why Ford has not created a cover, like a plastic top that goes over the top of the module and around, so if water does get in, it will catch it and pour it out around the module. If this module is that sensitive that a few drops of water destroys it, then they need to better protect it... I live in Phoenix where we get some very big dust storms in the summer monsoon seasons. Its not unheard of for a rock to kick up, or rain and hail that comes behind those dust storms turning the dust to mud falling from the sky, to break a window. With that safety glass, when something like a small pebble hits it just right it cracks and exploads into millions of pieces and then rain pours in and destroys the radio module and you dont know until the next day or after its done. Once out of warranty, that would be out of pocket, and I would hate to guess that price tag!

When I get the truck back, I think i'll design and 3D print some kind of sheild that goes around over the top and use some butyl tape, or VHT to mount and create that seal against the body. So any water gettting in rolls over the top and down around the computer. If I do this, i'll make a writeup and post the STL files here to anyone wanting to print it too.

Here is the video they sent me. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Zilkp4WoZMiUkG7XM7yApJZ4tTmGY8S_/view?usp=sharing

OP
mharris1984
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #2
OP
mharris1984
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Annoyed to see this TSB has been around since Dec '21 and my vehicle manufactured in Oct '22, almost an entire year later, this is STILL an issue... Seems very easy to break the radio system with a few drops of water... Like just a dribble of water, it's not like a pouring of water... but just a small dribble (less then a splash of water) is enough to fry the radio system... I would think a simple move of the module would be worth it...

..but I guess it makes sense... It would cost Ford a crap ton to alter the wire harness in any way... small change means longer and change of runs of wire, and those changes cost pennies per harness, but a TON over hundreds of thousands of vehicles and multiple lines of manufacturues and the change to the harness also costing tons of money from the manufacturer of the harness for the change as well while they test and alter their jigs for the new change... cheaper to fix as they break... but people getting out of warrenty in a few years will start to see that bill for 5k or something for a new radio harness each time.

Not sure why they couldnt just design a cover or soemthing to fix as well. Normally I see TSB's and never have those issues with my vehicles. This is my first. But this is also my first Brand New car off the lot... As my wife puts it, the first to fart in the seat! lol

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Annoyed to see this TSB has been around since Dec '21 and my vehicle manufactured in Oct '22, almost an entire year later, this is STILL an issue... Seems very easy to break the radio system with a few drops of water... Like just a dribble of water, it's not like a pouring of water... but just a small dribble (less then a splash of water) is enough to fry the radio system... I would think a simple move of the module would be worth it...

..but I guess it makes sense... It would cost Ford a crap ton to alter the wire harness in any way... small change means longer and change of runs of wire, and those changes cost pennies per harness, but a TON over hundreds of thousands of vehicles and multiple lines of manufacturues and the change to the harness also costing tons of money from the manufacturer of the harness for the change as well while they test and alter their jigs for the new change... cheaper to fix as they break... but people getting out of warrenty in a few years will start to see that bill for 5k or something for a new radio harness each time.

Not sure why they couldnt just design a cover or soemthing to fix as well. Normally I see TSB's and never have those issues with my vehicles. This is my first. But this is also my first Brand New car off the lot... As my wife puts it, the first to fart in the seat! lol
The first TSB was really 14 December 2020 TSB 20-2425

Draco-REX

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Huh... I wonder if this is the water leak the first ST I looked at was having. I was told it was behind the dash, but maybe they were mistaken. Would have saved me a lot of headaches if I had known... Ah well. Guess I'll check mine.

Dgoebel57

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Huh... I wonder if this is the water leak the first ST I looked at was having. I was told it was behind the dash, but maybe they were mistaken. Would have saved me a lot of headaches if I had known... Ah well. Guess I'll check mine.
I discovered that a water leak behind the dash can be caused by the windshield bottom trim being loose and not sealed to the bottom edge of the windshield, especially if a Battery replacement was needed. Windshield leak before and after trim corrected.jpg

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Here a picture of the radio. When I had the rear panel off, I did not see any water stain.

Attachments