Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Trying to do oil change at 1500mi mark

Dave G ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
They make a similar one. I got the EWK 6.5L Manual pump. Use the smaller of the 2 tubes supplied. With filter changed also, of course, added 5 1/4 quarts . IMG_20210515_083042397.jpg

GTP

Reactions
I changed ours to full synthetic at 10k miles.
Replaced the OEM drain plug with Ronin, same as on my Mustang.

Everything was easy except pouring in the new oil! The car sits up high and the filler neck is near the engine center. I am tall, but still had to stand on a stool, which kept sliding back on our racedeck plastic flooring. So I spilled some oil below the filler neck. I even use a screw-on bellows spout (from Amsoil), but it did not help as much as with the Mustang. So I switched to using a funnel for the 2nd gallon jug.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
With filter changed also, of course, added 5 1/4 quarts .
That's odd. I add 6qts exactly with every oil change using the extractor method. Have done 3 and each time the same.

Reactions
Used the HF oil extracter. Pulled 6 qts of oil out of the dip stick tube. Changed the filter. Had to bend over one time. Dropped my damn rag. I am a believer.

Dave G ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
That's odd. I add 6qts exactly with every oil change using the extractor method. Have done 3 and each time the same.
Okay, sounds good. I was thinking 5 1/2 quarts was a full change. I will see what amount I can pull out at next change.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Okay, sounds good. I was thinking 5 1/2 quarts was a full change. I will see what amount I can pull out at next change.
I never measure what i pull out. After 10k miles you might be almost a quart low and that's normal. If you are adding much less than 6 qts fill, I'd double or triple check to make sure you're at the full line on your dipstick. That's all that I was saying.