Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Trying to do oil change at 1500mi mark

Reactions
Hey anyone in nyc/LI/NJ area have a mechanic they recommend or shop where I can do my oil change a bit early. Dealers refuses to do it because “it’s too soon” and I seen the few videos on how to do it myself but alas city living means I don’t have a garage or lift to do it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
take it to another dealer. its never too early to change the oil. engine doesnt care about frequent oil changes, its NON frequent oil changes that engines dont like.

Reactions
Buy yourself a set of ramps and do it in your driveway.

OP
Yungty718
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Yeah guys living in the city no driveway unfortunately

OP
Yungty718
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
You are right might just do that!!

Reactions
Alright having just done the first oil change myself today, and after having been an oil change guy for like 8 years in a former “career”, I will say this was a lot more awkward than it needed to be

For starters, Ford, choose a fastener: either bolts or plastic pushpins. One or the other will suffice, not a mix of both just to remove the flap underneath. And 10 different fasteners was overkill for a flap that small.

The placement of the strut tower brace over top of the oil filter is awkward placement at best.

The oil cap could use an adapter neck with a bend or two in it to raise it up higher and angle it back a bit from the strut brace. Overcomeable, but still a silly design.

There was nothing wrong with a metal, threaded, bolt-headed drain plug.

Oh well. It’s done, and I feel better about myself for having done it.

Reactions
Alright having just done the first oil change myself today, and after having been an oil change guy for like 8 years in a former “career”, I will say this was a lot more awkward than it needed to be

For starters, Ford, choose a fastener: either bolts or plastic pushpins. One or the other will suffice, not a mix of both just to remove the flap underneath. And 10 different fasteners was overkill for a flap that small.

The placement of the strut tower brace over top of the oil filter is awkward placement at best.

The oil cap could use an adapter neck with a bend or two in it to raise it up higher and angle it back a bit from the strut brace. Overcomeable, but still a silly design.

There was nothing wrong with a metal, threaded, bolt-headed drain plug.

Oh well. It’s done, and I feel better about myself for having done it.

im jealous... still waiting for delivery!

PS im seeing this vehicle for 75K! on autotrader... thats about 15k above sticker

Reactions
im jealous... still waiting for delivery!

PS im seeing this vehicle for 75K! on autotrader... thats about 15k above sticker
thats why its still available. no one will pay 75K for something that can be had for 60 now

Reactions
thats why its still available. no one will pay 75K for something that can be had for 60 now
Exactly you must be really desperate to pay that much. Supply and demand at its finest... honestly the nerve those dealers have to actually advertise it at that price.

Reactions
Exactly you must be really desperate to pay that much. Supply and demand at its finest... honestly the nerve those dealers have to actually advertise it at that price.

they sell to people who dont do their homework. more money than brains.
i went to our local dealer a couple weeks ago and they were selling mustang gt350s with all the shelby stuff at a 40K markup, marked as sold.
for whats done to it, you can build a GT mustang better or just as good for WAY LESS.

Reactions
You’ve said it very well.

Reactions
I got my oil changed with the dealer to Mobil 1 Full Synthetic within 50 miles after taking delivery. As long as you pay for it, they should No problem with it.

F=MA

Reactions
I do not think finding a vacant parking lot in NYC, to do an oil change, would be a wise move. You'll reach over to move the oil catch pan and at the same time your ST will be backing down the ramp with you under it. If you take a few friends with you who would be looking out for you while you change the oil the police will cruise by at the wrong time and think your trying to steal something off of the vehicle. If you use red rags to wipe up any spills it could trigger an all out gang war. Maybe where you purchased the vehicle they have free service for some period of time and they want to limit the service appointments to save cash, otherwise, they should be chomping at the bit to change your oil daily if you want to pay for it.

F=MA

Reactions
Its Canada. The car may sticker for $65,000 CAN but then you have to add provincial and federal sales tax which can add up to an additional 10% to15% depending on location.

Reactions
Its Canada. The car may sticker for $65,000 CAN but then you have to add provincial and federal sales tax which can add up to an additional 10% to15% depending on location.
gotta love being taxed to support lazy people... huh?

Reactions
I do not think finding a vacant parking lot in NYC, to do an oil change, would be a wise move. You'll reach over to move the oil catch pan and at the same time your ST will be backing down the ramp with you under it. If you take a few friends with you who would be looking out for you while you change the oil the police will cruise by at the wrong time and think your trying to steal something off of the vehicle. If you use red rags to wipe up any spills it could trigger an all out gang war. Maybe where you purchased the vehicle they have free service for some period of time and they want to limit the service appointments to save cash, otherwise, they should be chomping at the bit to change your oil daily if you want to pay for it.
Agreed that doing it in an empty parking lot is a bad idea...and agreed with your reasons...but your mind went to hilarious places and I love it

Dave G ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Just adding that I tried an Oil Extractor for the first time and all went well. I have been changing my own oil for 30 years and this works for me on the ST.

Reactions
Just adding that I tried an Oil Extractor for the first time and all went well. I have been changing my own oil for 30 years and this works for me on the ST.
I didn’t even know that is a thing! Did you do the OEM tools one?