Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Trunk button doesn't open trunk on a locked vehicle

KegsBdry

Reactions
Maybe I'm reading the Users Manual wrong. When I walk straight up to the trunk & click the button (on the back of the vehicle), the trunk does not open. But when I unlock the vehicle, it works every time.

I'm aware of the setting on the touchscreen to ENABLE/DISABLE the trunk button. I toggled it and left it on ENABLED. Same issue.

Any ideas why it doesn't work when the car is locked? :unsure:

Reactions
Maybe I'm reading the Users Manual wrong. When I walk straight up to the trunk & click the button (on the back of the vehicle), the trunk does not open. But when I unlock the vehicle, it works every time.

I'm aware of the setting on the touchscreen to ENABLE/DISABLE the trunk button. I toggled it and left it on ENABLED. Same issue.

Any ideas why it doesn't work when the car is locked? :unsure:
I'm assuming you have the fob in your pocket, mine will open with the foot senor or the button on the tailgate with the truck locked.

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Yes, the key fob is in the pocket. But good to check all the boxes first.

I didn’t buy the foot sensor add-on. And my tailgate does not open when locked. Might be (yet another) gremlin in the vehicle. 484F1BBC-B263-4620-BCAF-3FDFCCF51189.jpeg

UPDATE: Yup, you’re right. Found the part where it’s supposed to be working. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions
Maybe the fob has a week battery. Maybe try the other fob. I didn’t know that the motion sensor for the rear hatch was an option. Thought that was included with the ST.

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Maybe the fob has a week battery. Maybe try the other fob. I didn’t know that the motion sensor for the rear hatch was an option. Thought that was included with the ST.
That's a good idea! I'll try the other key fob today. Thanks. (Will let you know the results)

Reactions
there is a setting in the touchscreen that will lock the rear hatch. mess with that

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #7
That's a good idea! I'll try the other key fob today. Thanks. (Will let you know the results)
there is a setting in the touchscreen that will lock the rear hatch. mess with that
I tried the other key fob. That didn’t work.

I also tried toggling the touchscreen lock button for the rear hatch. Even went so far to restart the car between toggles. No Luck.

There has to be something I’m missing. :unsure:

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #8
After getting the vehicle back from the dealership, they could not identify what is wrong with the trunk button. it works when the car is unlocked but not when locked (& with the keys in my pocket). I’m not too concerned but just annoyed I have to grab my keys every time I want to get into my trunk (when already locked).

Any ideas of what they could try to get if fixed?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Does it do that for the other key? Will it open when locked with the kick underneath the bumper maneuver? Just assuming it's the rear proximity sensor for the smart key.

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #10
Does it do that for the other key? Will it open when locked with the kick underneath the bumper maneuver? Just assuming it's the rear proximity sensor for the smart key.
The other key did the same thing. I though the battery on my key fob was low too, but no change.

The ‘kick underneath the bumper maneuver’ is an add-on, I didn’t buy that option. The dealership tested the rear proximity sensor, they said it’s functional.

These are all great ideas. What else can I try? :unsure:

Last edited:
Reactions
Do all the other doors unlock when you grab a door handle with the truck locked?

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #12
Good question: Yes. Are the rear doors working off the rear proximity sensor?

I noted that upgrade from my Charger (where only the front doors unlock all the doors when you grab the handles). It is annoying when you have a kid to put in their car seat before getting into the driver's seat.

Reactions
I'm not sure if there is more than one prox sensor but if the rear doors are unlocking the hatch is not but run on the same prox sensor may point you in the right direction.

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #14
I'm not sure if there is more than one prox sensor but if the rear doors are unlocking the hatch is not but run on the same prox sensor may point you in the right direction.
I'll bring that up in my service visit to the dealership. Can't leave my vehicle there for another 3 days over a button that works only when the vehicle is unlocked.

I'll wait for the next gremlin. :cry:

Reactions
I work for John Deere on the construction & forestry side of things and flashing controllers can sometimes resolve funny issues. I'll let you know if I find anything about it. Good luck and let us know if you get the issue resolved.

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #16
I work for John Deere on the construction & forestry side of things and flashing controllers can sometimes resolve funny issues. I'll let you know if I find anything about it. Good luck and let us know if you get the issue resolved.
thank you. I've been combing through the Explorer forums looking for a bulletin of some sort.

I'll keep everyone posted on the results. Gotta look out for the next person running into this issue, right?!

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #17
UPDATE: Took the ST in for an oil change & 30k mile service. And since my bumper to bumper warranty is about up, I got the trunk button and foot wave trunk sensor looked over.

It turns out, the foot sensor was broken and that was the cause of the disabled trunk button when locked.