Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Transmission Whine

honhon

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Hello all…. My explorer has the infamous transmission whine at idle and low speeds…

Ive read some where that if you give the transmission a fluid change it’ll quiet it down some?

For some reason the factory fill causes more whining than normal?

I thought of doing this but I wanted to ask around a little more since the ULV is decently priced…

thank you in advance for any reply’s.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Mine has done it since day 1…louder in Sport mode. Fluid swap made no difference. 68K miles and counting with zero issues.

Reactions
Mine has done it since day 1…louder in Sport mode. Fluid swap made no difference. 68K miles and counting with zero issues.
Ours started doing it over the last month and gets louder in sport mode.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Yeah, mine (‘21) makes a bit of noise in sport mode only. I’m quite happy with the vehicle overall though. Especially with the new DMS/Transbrake setup from ZFG Adam. Definitely recommend it.

hbalek

Reactions
Wow a lot of miles and no problems? Is yours a 2020? I have only 42K miles and have had a slew of some major issues. Luckily all were repaired or replaced under warranty at no cost to me!

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Wow a lot of miles and no problems? Is yours a 2020? I have only 42K miles and have had a slew of some major issues. Luckily all were repaired or replaced under warranty at no cost to me!
Mine is a 2020 and has never been back to the dealership since the day I bought it. It’s been tuned since a couple of thousand miles and is very heavily modified.

hbalek

Reactions
Mine is a 2020 and has never been back to the dealership since the day I bought it. It’s been tuned since a couple of thousand miles and is very heavily modified.
Lucky you! Mine was built in 11/19 and has no mods and has had a slew of major problems from fuel pump at one year, rear glass, clutch/transmission rebuilt at 25K, catalytic converter, rear camera, half-shaft speed sensor, both CV boots/axles replaced for leaks, drivers seat panel, battery replaced at 19K miles and I hope that's it. I still love driving it and hope it lasts! Maybe all your mods and tunes saved you from all the trouble many like me have had. My problems are not unique and many on this forum have had the same issues.

OP
honhon

honhon

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Thread Starter #8
Thank you again… I’ll leave it as is for now… it has 20k on it…

Reactions
Hello all…. My explorer has the infamous transmission whine at idle and low speeds…

Ive read some where that if you give the transmission a fluid change it’ll quiet it down some?

For some reason the factory fill causes more whining than normal?

I thought of doing this but I wanted to ask around a little more since the ULV is decently priced…

thank you in advance for any reply’s.
I had a whine/low drone noise. It turned out to be a drive shaft hanger bearing. This was covered by the standard extended drive train warranty and replaced.

MrsBST8911

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Lucky you! Mine was built in 11/19 and has no mods and has had a slew of major problems from fuel pump at one year, rear glass, clutch/transmission rebuilt at 25K, catalytic converter, rear camera, half-shaft speed sensor, both CV boots/axles replaced for leaks, drivers seat panel, battery replaced at 19K miles and I hope that's it. I still love driving it and hope it lasts! Maybe all your mods and tunes saved you from all the trouble many like me have had. My problems are not unique and many on this forum have had the same issues.
Yours sounds like mine. Its a 2020 with 60k miles, I just discovered shards in the transmission fluid, the dealer is constantly saying they cant replicate any problem with shifting issues. I shared video and pulled codes showing there is something bad with it. I found on the inside of one of my doors it says "1st piece 7/19/19" It was a freaking friday!! no wonder mine is full of problems. They were slacking on the job. I've had the blue screen of death, cat converter probs, the annoying rattle at start up, power loss, bad evap valve, and honestly my biggest complaint is the transmission. Its scary to drive. I have accelerated and had no go or attempted to pass and its like she just crapped the bed. I love this vehicle but I have learned to drive with factoring if my car is going to have the power when i give a go or not and it doesnt jive with me. Im going to ride ford like a fly on poop til they fix this transmission. Its CPO so i have a bit.

Reactions
Mine only whines on WOT in sport mode 'sometimes'. A friend says it sounds like a supercharger, ha.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Mine only whines on WOT in sport mode 'sometimes'. A friend says it sounds like a supercharger, ha.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
I had some hard down shifts on occasion and mentioned it when I brought it in for an oil change plus a recall on the window switches. Sure enough, they found the issue and rebuilt the transmission. But now it has a whine at WOT when it didn't before. I brought it to the attention of the service manager. They said there is a TSB for it and that the whine is considered normal. So I guess it's a feature! I haven't had a harsh downshift since and it seems really smooth. Maybe even smoother than before so I guess I can't complain.

Explorer ST Posts