Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Transmission temp 195 F

Windsock007

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford explorer platinum
This is about the trans pan not the retardly overpriced gauge I bought so I can get rid of the NPT port and when I take my dash back apart I’ll post detailed pics of the potential fire hazard I created but it wasn’t worth it but it works

Windsock007

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
Vehicle
The 192F is the coolant, there is a 170F thermostat in the cooling system and I know it opens at 174F so the car is currently trying to cool itself the 166F is the trans temp it’s about 66F-68F outside based on the temp reading in the car and the weather app on my phone backs that up, pics were taken about a mile apart between lights and I’ve been driving for about 35min and just got off the highway, these are my results you can take it or leave it, it’s just free information

Attachments

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
That sounds about right for normal driving. If you start unlocking the torque converter in stop and go or towing you can get the temp to climb over 200. When I change trans fluid I put the trans in drive, hold the brake, and let it run at 1500-2000 rpm and the trans gets up to 195-200 in about 5 min from cold.

Definitely good to get it hot every so often just to burn off condensation but anything over 210-220 over time destroys fluid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Windsock007

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
Vehicle
That sounds about right for normal driving. If you start unlocking the torque converter in stop and go or towing you can get the temp to climb over 200. When I change trans fluid I put the trans in drive, hold the brake, and let it run at 1500-2000 rpm and the trans gets up to 195-200 in about 5 min from cold.

Definitely good to get it hot every so often just to burn off condensation but anything over 210-220 over time destroys fluid

That’s what I was trying to explain, I’m an engineer and fix helicopters for the army and one of the main reason for component failure especially for plastics is heat cycling or heat soaking and I wanted a trans pan to get rid of the heat as fast as possible when I turn off the car instead of the fluid sitting in the plastic pan which keeps the heat in, I think the misunderstanding is that the metal pan magically keeps the temp down but it doesn’t during heavy acceleration, stop and go traffic or any driving conditions where there isn’t constant airflow over the pan the temp easily raises close to 200F, only in the very specific situation when driving down the highway at 50mph or higher at a consistent engine RPM for a prolonged period of time do the temp drop down to the 170F range once that specific driving situation ends the temp starts to raise again

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Agree. Also cruising in overdrive with the converter locked really keeps the temps down compared to flogging her. Did a round trip to Hilton Head, 3000 miles, and I had no trouble heating up things on the twisty mountain roads. ST is really impressive for what it is and I’ve road raced more purpose built cars. Continue to really enjoy this ride and surprise a lot of people on the highway

Windsock007

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
Vehicle
Agree. Also cruising in overdrive with the converter locked really keeps the temps down compared to flogging her. Did a round trip to Hilton Head, 3000 miles, and I had no trouble heating up things on the twisty mountain roads. ST is really impressive for what it is and I’ve road raced more purpose built cars. Continue to really enjoy this ride and surprise a lot of people on the highway

I agree, the Platinum is no slouch either and it’s a little hard to tell under normal driving but it doesn’t keep up with the ST when it comes to the upper end of the power band but I bought it as a long distance cruiser and it’s amazing at that with way more power than it needs, I wish someone would make an oil pan replacement, I’m tempted to just scan the plastic one into CAD and copy the the aluminum thickness and radiuses of the PPE pan and just CNC machine one out of some billet aluminum for testing

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
Just an FYI, when checking the transmission fluid level it says to make sure it’s at normal operating temperature which is 207°-215°.

Windsock007

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
Vehicle
Just an FYI, when checking the transmission fluid level it says to make sure it’s at normal operating temperature which is 207°-215°.

Nowhere does it say “make sure is at NORMAL OPERATING TEMP” those words aren’t in the service manual (atleast the one I’m using), it’s the upper end of the operating range, for example the coolant can swing from 174F-230F and maybe a little more that’s a temp difference of 56F, you’re telling the the transmission only has a temp difference of 9F do you know how hard it is to do that in real world situations, the manual also says to make sure the vehicle wasn’t doing towing or other heavy driving which implies the fluid can be a lot hotter and still be in the “normal” range, if I had to make an EDUCATED GUESS based on experience 206F-215F is somewhere in the middle, because if the fluid is checked at that temp based on their testing the trans will still operate smoothly at the lower temp and the higher temp, I’m pretty sure the owners manual says to change the oil at 10k miles also the trans fluid and filter is good till 150k miles which would mean that’s the “normal operating life for those fluids” yet everyone (except for a special few) changes all these fluids a lot sooner, I follow the maintenance manual to the letter but I rather run my trans cooler (if you’re gonna drive yours hard you should let it warm up more) because I don’t drive it hard but that’s just me and it’s worked great for me you do whatever gives you the warm and fuzzies

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I have never not checked automatic trans fluid at operating temp in any of the many vehicles over 45 years. My shop manual for my ST specifically states to get it up to operating temp.

Per usual, we should all do what we think is best.

Reactions
Vehicle
Nowhere does it say “make sure is at NORMAL OPERATING TEMP” those words aren’t in the service manual (atleast the one I’m using), it’s the upper end of the operating range, for example the coolant can swing from 174F-230F and maybe a little more that’s a temp difference of 56F, you’re telling the the transmission only has a temp difference of 9F do you know how hard it is to do that in real world situations, the manual also says to make sure the vehicle wasn’t doing towing or other heavy driving which implies the fluid can be a lot hotter and still be in the “normal” range, if I had to make an EDUCATED GUESS based on experience 206F-215F is somewhere in the middle, because if the fluid is checked at that temp based on their testing the trans will still operate smoothly at the lower temp and the higher temp, I’m pretty sure the owners manual says to change the oil at 10k miles also the trans fluid and filter is good till 150k miles which would mean that’s the “normal operating life for those fluids” yet everyone (except for a special few) changes all these fluids a lot sooner, I follow the maintenance manual to the letter but I rather run my trans cooler (if you’re gonna drive yours hard you should let it warm up more) because I don’t drive it hard but that’s just me and it’s worked great for me you do whatever gives you the warm and fuzzies
I don't have the manual so I can't quote it from there but the key word here is "Normal". I've read that in several places on this forum as well as other sites. Obviously your not going to want to check the fluid level right after towing a trailer or driving it hard. Same as you wouldn't go out first thing in the moring and check the level when it's cold! It's "Normal" operating temp and that's actually 206-215 degrees. This video is quite popular on this subject and states that as the specification: Video. I was just trying to give you some info that's posted in several locations but you do you and I'll do me. Peace out brother.

Windsock007

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
Vehicle
I don't have the manual so I can't quote it from there but the key word here is "Normal". I've read that in several places on this forum as well as other sites. Obviously your not going to want to check the fluid level right after towing a trailer or driving it hard. Same as you wouldn't go out first thing in the moring and check the level when it's cold! It's "Normal" operating temp and that's actually 206-215 degrees. This video is quite popular on this subject and states that as the specification: Video. I was just trying to give you some info that's posted in several locations but you do you and I'll do me. Peace out brother.
Here are a few pics where the tow-haul mode is telling me the temp is in a “normal” range and the corresponding temp that isn’t 206F-215F, so either the sensors or lying or my car is magic

Attachments

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Tow haul has been proven unreliable by more than one person that works on these things for a living. Even techs don’t use that when they’re getting the trans fluid up to temp to check the level.

Windsock007

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
Vehicle
Tow haul has been proven unreliable by more than one person that works on these things for a living. Even techs don’t use that when they’re getting the trans fluid up to temp to check the level.
So in another post why did you tell someone that if it’s in the middles the trans temp is at 206F why didn’t you just tell them that’s it’s unreliable and it could be part of a huge range what if that’s all they had to go off of and assumed it was at 206F when it was really at 135F

Reactions
Vehicle
Your digital gauge swings from 148 degrees to 185 degrees yet the dash gauge never moves! That should tell you something about it's acuracy!

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
So in another post why did you tell someone that if it’s in the middles the trans temp is at 206F why didn’t you just tell them that’s it’s unreliable and it could be part of a huge range what if that’s all they had to go off of and assumed it was at 206F when it was really at 135F
When and where did I say that?

Windsock007

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
Vehicle
Your digital gauge swings from 148 degrees to 185 degrees yet the dash gauge never moves! That should tell you something about it's acuracy!
Those digital guages on the instrument cluster are calibrated to the 2 extremes of the temp range so a normal person with no mechanical experience can look down and judge if the car is in good working order for example the coolant gauge hits the center at 174F and stays there all the way to about 230F the same situation applies, it was never meant to be used in a maintenance setting hence why the maintenance manual says to use a scan tool and the temp range in the manual is at the upper end of the range specifically why every other fluid has a high low range to allow for expansion and contraction, because if you check it at 135F there might not be enough fluid for the expansion required and if you check it at 225F there might not be enough fluid to run reliably when the fluid cools and contracts back down