Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Transmission Oils, first timer

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Lincoln Aviator
Could use some help/ resources on changing oils for front and rear diff, and transfer case. A few questions:

Is this a good idea? I'm doing it for peace of mind, not because I've noticed anything out of ordinary. 86.5k miles, previous owner maintained vehicle per dealership.

Ordered Motorcraft oils. Want to order tools this week. Probably I'll run down to Walmart and get 4 ramps rather than messing a jack. Any recommendations to make the job easier?

Any additional resources will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all! [cheers]

OP
Chaser
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Lincoln Aviator
Thread Starter #2
Same thing with the timing chain... thanks again! <<<333

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Changing fluids is always a good idea. The rear diff plug is difficult. Nothing else that I can recall. Use motorcraft ULV in trans. All else is your choice but I suggest synthetic of any good brand. I run Mobil 1 extended protection for engine and amsoil severe gear in the diffs.

I use a quickjack lift to make things easier. Can’t help with the timing chain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I used factory specified oil, mostly from Rockauto or Amazon. The rear diff fill bolt has limited clearance--You will need a low profile 3/8" socket driver or lever. The front diff fill bolt is tight...I needed a breaker bar. Refer to the online service manual. Pretty straight forward.

OP
Chaser
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Lincoln Aviator
Thread Starter #5
Thank you gentlemen! @Cruising68 @Cdubya
Compiling information this week, planning to do the work this weekend. Personally, I feel motorcraft leaves he least variables so I'm go with that... I see a lot of Amsoil on the forums though

Reactions
I used factory specified oil, mostly from Rockauto or Amazon. The rear diff fill bolt has limited clearance--You will need a low profile 3/8" socket driver or lever. The front diff fill bolt is tight...I needed a breaker bar. Refer to the online service manual. Pretty straight forward.
Do you have a recommended low-profile socket? I have found a couple on Amazon but not sure of their quality. Thanks.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Do you have a recommended low-profile socket? I have found a couple on Amazon but not sure of their quality. Thanks.
I happen to have a small pivoting socket driver that happen to barely work. Look at your socket driver and see how thick it is. Some say theirs worked. All my regular socket drivers were too thick including my 1/4" drivers.

I bought this for next time:
https://a.co/d/ipn8v5n

716yryuUZdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

OP
Chaser
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Lincoln Aviator
Thread Starter #8
Thanks everyone! @Cdubya your reply came clutch during last minute tool gathering. Ended up getting something similar to this but never ended up getting to use it...
Started with front diff, cause I figured if I did something wrong the computer would take over with RWD only. Got the fill plug off just fine, but the drain plug didn't budge. Tried a breaker bar, tried and impact driver... nada... open to suggestions, but it looks like I gotta call my old mechanic and apologize

I could use help:
So I want to get a new drain plug, in case I jack this one up... part number?
I need some new fasteners (screw type) and captive nuts for the undercarriage/ skid-plate.... part numbers?

On another note: anyone have a recommended anti-seize I can put on the threads when I do finally get it off? I've seen people use silicone thread wrap..

Otherwise, looking at returning the Motorcraft and replacing with Amsoil.

Thanks again everyone <<<333

Last edited:

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
That's extremely odd about the front diff drain bolt. The fill and drain both gave me no trouble at all with steady pressure with breaker bar. I definitely would avoid impact wrench or it could get damaged. I don't know if you have a vacuum extractor but I might try that through the fill hole before going to town on the drain bolt. I used red Permatex gasket sealant as an anti-seize. Quick setting, resists oil.

OP
Chaser
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Lincoln Aviator
Thread Starter #10
I definitely would avoid impact wrench or it could get damaged.
Tell that to the last guy lol.. they must've used an impact driver the last time... talking to a Amsoil Explorer rep he says Front diff drain is difficult, uses a 18" ratchet... idk... maybe cause my car was still a little warm?