Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Transmission Issues

mal6969

Reactions
Any other owners having significant transmission issues with their Explorer ST?
  • I started having problems at 18K miles with missed shifts, hesitations and then burning smells.
  • Dealer pulled the transmission and tore it down
  • Discovered that there were too many parts 'broken' to fix so Ford approved a new unit.
  • New unit was installed
  • Worked for a bit and then become stuck in 1st gear (shutting off and waiting 10min would 'reset')
  • Returned to dealer and they then replaced a speed sensor
  • Drove another 1K miles w/o issue
  • now having 'stuck' gears again
  • Dealer is going to pull the transmission and review with Ford again - indicates there is something with 'pressure' release in the system.
Dealer has been very good to work with and I feel like they are doing their best. However, is this a vehicle with too much power for a flimsy transmission?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
In a case like yours, you had a perfectly good trans, then it failed. After replacement it quickly failed again. In these type of circumstances, it'd behoove your dealer to look for something else- like the trans control unit. Another thing to consider- did they follow any type of electronic clutch break-in on the new unit? If the TCU hadn't been reset, it could still be using the shift/clutch strategy it was using on the old trans which was not correct for the new one.

Jeff

Reactions
get rid of car, push ford to buy back. in my state 30 days or 4 trips to service for same problem qualifies as a lemon.