Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Transmission Flush & Fill

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Was looking around to get some prices on a flush. I found a performance shop that works on the ST platform. They're charging $285 for Mercon ULV and $435 for labor. It doesn't seem many places will work on this platform. A few places even turned me down just to check the level.
I went to the dealer and they quoted me $400 which seems highly reasonable for a dealership, especially after the quote from the last place. What is everyone else here paying for this job?
The dealer also says that they no longer use Mercon ULV and have switched to Mercon V. Has anyone any experience with this upgrade?
Thanks for your thoughts!

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Mercon V is NOT a substitute for ULV as it is a thicker viscosity. Do not put it in your ST.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Mercon V is NOT a substitute for ULV as it is a thicker viscosity. Do not put it in your ST.

That's exactly what I thought but why would a "Ford" dealership even option it for an ST?

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Because they are too cheap imo. I would expect problems beyond worse mileage using a higher viscosity fluid.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Per owner's manual, FWIW:
"
Automatic Transmission
Note: Automatic transmissions that require MERCON® ULV transmission fluid should only use MERCON® ULV transmission fluid.The use of any other fluid may cause transmission damage.
Capacities

Variant Quantity All. 12.6 qt (11.9 L)1

1 Approximate dry fill capacity. Actual amount may vary during fluid changes.
Materials
NameSpecification
Motorcraft® MERCON® ULV Automatic Transmission Fluid
XT-12-QULVWSS-M2C949-A,
"

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
Because they are too cheap imo. I would expect problems beyond worse mileage using a higher viscosity fluid.

Right?

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
Per owner's manual, FWIW:
"
Automatic Transmission
Note: Automatic transmissions that require MERCON® ULV transmission fluid should only use MERCON® ULV transmission fluid.The use of any other fluid may cause transmission damage.
Capacities

Variant Quantity All. 12.6 qt (11.9 L)1

1 Approximate dry fill capacity. Actual amount may vary during fluid changes.
Materials
NameSpecification
Motorcraft® MERCON® ULV Automatic Transmission Fluid
XT-12-QULVWSS-M2C949-A,
"
This is precisely why I confronted them about other than ULV. I think just trying to make more money form me. (ruined tranny)

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST

Another reason to work on your car yourself.

https://www.motorcraft.com/us/en_us...c-transmission-and-power-steering-fluids.html

• Do not use in applications where MERCON® ULV, MERCON® SP, MERCON® LV, MERCON® ULV, Continuously Variable Chain Type Transmission Fluid, Motorcraft® Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid or Type F Automatic Transmission Fluid is recommended

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
Another reason to work on your car yourself.

https://www.motorcraft.com/us/en_us...c-transmission-and-power-steering-fluids.html

• Do not use in applications where MERCON® ULV, MERCON® SP, MERCON® LV, MERCON® ULV, Continuously Variable Chain Type Transmission Fluid, Motorcraft® Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid or Type F Automatic Transmission Fluid is recommended
Would be nice if I had the place and a lift.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Would be nice if I had the place and a lift.
No doubt makes things a lot easier! When young I did plenty of driveway work (gravel) before graduating to some jack stands. Been fortunate the past 25 years to have had access to lifts and all the tools I could use. I hate having to rely on other people working on my car.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I have the same problem, looking for a used Kwik-lift.

https://www.kwik-lift.com/
Those are nice. I lost the use of my two post lift a couple years ago and bought a Quickjack 7000 on sale at Costco. It works well for use in a garage or driveway!

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #13
No doubt makes things a lot easier! When young I did plenty of driveway work (gravel) before graduating to some jack stands. Been fortunate the past 25 years to have had access to lifts and all the tools I could use. I hate having to rely on other people working on my car.

One if the garages here used to rent their lifts which was a great asset. I enjoy the security of working on my own vehicles too. Ford had the ST to confirm a leaky cat and I'll have to bring it back but I was very concerned for the day they had it. Luckily, I could see and hear everything that was going on because I have a 3 way cam mounted which has a 24hr service.
I did replace the brakes and rotors myself. Used a friends driveway. You are fortunate to have all your provisions. :)

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #14
I have the same problem, looking for a used Kwik-lift.

https://www.kwik-lift.com/
That looks like a nice piece! Unfortunately, I am currently renting and have no place for it. Something to look forward to down the road.
Previously, I had done all the work on my vehicles from doing brake jobs to pulling engines. In the meantime, I am at the mercy of outside help.