Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Top Safety Pick (only models made after May 2020)

kevattor

Reactions
https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/ford/explorer-4-door-suv/2020

Anyone know why only models built after May 2020 are included?
Two tests of a 2020 Explorer were conducted. In the first test, forces recorded on the dummy's left lower leg were high, leading to a poor lower leg/foot injury rating and an overall acceptable rating. In response, Ford modified the left and right front subframe structure to improve occupant protection in small overlap frontal crashes beginning with cars manufactured after May 2020 (note: information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on or near the driver door).
In the second test of an Explorer built after the structural modifications were in place, the lower leg/foot rating improved to acceptable and the overall rating improved to good.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
How do you find your build date?
One easy way is on the window sticker. Below the red area with TOTAL MSRP $$$$$$$ and the Ford Credit advertisement, there are a series of numbers, the last six are the build date, mine for example reads 06 15 20.

OP
K

kulderas

Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Ahh ok, thanks for the info. I bought in May. If I would have bought a few months later I might have had a safer ST. :(