Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Tire Wear

hbalek

Reactions
Whoops! That's crazy, I was just talking to somebody on FB about these tires, and he was saying the exact same thing.

My tires were delivered yesterday, I noticed that the tire says CT60a on it. I wonder if there is any difference.
I think it says CT60 A/S for All-Season, it's just hard to read. There's also one with a different weight rating but you want the 110 XL not the 107 because the 110 XL matches the specs of the OEM Pirelli Scorpion Zero.

Reactions
I think it says CT60 A/S for All-Season, it's just hard to read. There's also one with a different weight rating but you want the 110 XL not the 107 because the 110 XL matches the specs of the OEM Pirelli Scorpion Zero.
Here's a picture of the tire label and the tread. It's definitely different from the CT60.

20231217_231151.jpg

20231217_231157.jpg

Screenshot_20231217_231214_Brave.jpg

Reactions
Here's a picture of the tire label and the tread. It's definitely different from the CT60.

View attachment 20880

View attachment 20881

View attachment 20882
I did some more digging and this is what I found:

About That Little “a”
The small “a” following Ziex CT60 indicates that this is an OEM-specific fitment. Meaning that Falken makes these tires specifically for Mazda. Such OEM-specific tires generally have a shorter than typical tread life. We would estimate, based on measuring the tread, that the tires will last about 35,000 miles before changing them would be wise. OEM-specific tires are designed for optimum affordability and fuel efficiency. If you purchase CT60 tires without that small “a,” you will find that the tires offer a much longer tread life. All of what I have just said in this paragraph is typical of OEM-specific tires and is not unique to Falken. You can follow us as we test the aftermarket version of the Ziex CT60 A/S tire here at Torque News.

hbalek

Reactions
I did some more digging and this is what I found:

About That Little “a”
The small “a” following Ziex CT60 indicates that this is an OEM-specific fitment. Meaning that Falken makes these tires specifically for Mazda. Such OEM-specific tires generally have a shorter than typical tread life. We would estimate, based on measuring the tread, that the tires will last about 35,000 miles before changing them would be wise. OEM-specific tires are designed for optimum affordability and fuel efficiency. If you purchase CT60 tires without that small “a,” you will find that the tires offer a much longer tread life. All of what I have just said in this paragraph is typical of OEM-specific tires and is not unique to Falken. You can follow us as we test the aftermarket version of the Ziex CT60 A/S tire here at Torque News.
I actually learned of this particular tire on my dealer's website but the service advisor said it wasn't available to them.

Tire Service | Sheehy Ford of Gaithersburg (sheehyfordgaithersburg.com)

So I had to order them from Simple Tire instead.

Reactions
I actually learned of this particular tire on my dealer's website but the service advisor said it wasn't available to them.

Tire Service | Sheehy Ford of Gaithersburg (sheehyfordgaithersburg.com)

So I had to order them from Simple Tire instead.
I actually ordered these from Simple Tire on Thursday. They came directly from Falken on Saturday (I'm also in Maryland) but Falken sent the wrong ones.

I'm going to return them and see if Simple Tire can quickly correct this.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
The CT60s are def a less expensive Falken than the FK460s which I had gotten back in Sept. Simple Tire has the 460s for the same price I paid at Tire Rack. That's $310 apiece. CT60s would have saved me about $90/tire! Probably because the 460s are the ultra high performance line but they're still showing 6 yrs/50,000 mi for warranty. Also came with 2 years road hazard which came in handy just last month for both rears. Those CT60s look like a good deal if I'm low in the pocket in 50,000 miles.

hbalek

Reactions
The CT60s are def a less expensive Falken than the FK460s which I had gotten back in Sept. Simple Tire has the 460s for the same price I paid at Tire Rack. That's $310 apiece. CT60s would have saved me about $90/tire! Probably because the 460s are the ultra high performance line but they're still showing 6 yrs/50,000 mi for warranty. Also came with 2 years road hazard which came in handy just last month for both rears. Those CT60s look like a good deal if I'm low in the pocket in 50,000 miles.
I've had my vehicle for 4 years already and will probably get rid of it in less than 2 years so I ddin't want to spend a lot on tires that will only have less than 25K miles on them at trade in. I doubt these tires will make it to 40K let alone 50K miles. The Pirelli's had 41K miles on them when I replaced them but probably should've been replaced a year ago.

hbalek

Reactions
I actually ordered these from Simple Tire on Thursday. They came directly from Falken on Saturday (I'm also in Maryland) but Falken sent the wrong ones.

I'm going to return them and see if Simple Tire can quickly correct this.
The UPC and model number on your tire matches the one on the website. 59000970 That's the weird part but I've had mine for over 5 months now.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I've had my vehicle for 4 years already and will probably get rid of it in less than 2 years so I ddin't want to spend a lot on tires that will only have less than 25K miles on them at trade in. I doubt these tires will make it to 40K let alone 50K miles. The Pirelli's had 41K miles on them when I replaced them but probably should've been replaced a year ago.
So you've been enjoying the Rapid Red for a good while now! I'm only 3 months in and looking forward to some of the good miles you've had. How would you compare the Pirellis vs the CT60s?

hbalek

Reactions
So you've been enjoying the Rapid Red for a good while now! I'm only 3 months in and looking forward to some of the good miles you've had. How would you compare the Pirellis vs the CT60s?
I never felt like the Pirelli's had good grip even when new in the rain. These seem to do much better in the rain.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I never felt like the Pirelli's had good grip even when new in the rain. These seem to do much better in the rain.
That's important! I always felt that if a tire has good wet handling capabilities, it's going to be good all around, maybe with the exception of deep snow.

Reactions
The UPC and model number on your tire matches the one on the website. 59000970 That's the weird part but I've had mine for over 5 months now.
Any chance you could take a look at your tire and confirm if you got the CT60 or CT60a? I saw a few others who ordered from simpletire and they were sent the CT60a.

FB_IMG_1702909040996.jpg

FB_IMG_1702909141937~2.jpg

According to the Falken site, the CT60 doesn't even come in 275/45/R21...

Screenshot_20231218_093204_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

I may just keep these tires. They seem decent, and for the money, can't be beat.

Last edited:

hbalek

Reactions
Any chance you could take a look at your tire and confirm if you got the CT60 or CT60a? I saw a few others who ordered from simpletire and they were sent the CT60a.

View attachment 20884

View attachment 20885

According to the Falken site, the CT60 doesn't even come in 275/45/R21...

View attachment 20886

I may just keep these tires. They seem decent, and for the money, can't be beat.
I can confirm that mine are in fact CT60a and were installed for me by local Mr. Tire, Fedexed directly to them from Simple Tire back in early July. I bought from them instead of Tire Rack because their price was about $70 higher. Now Tire Rack no longer lists that tire in that size which I had bookmarked. Sheehy also said their distributor could not find that tire for me back in June. I'm contemplating buying one or two more just in case I get another flat and can't be repaired. I've had bad luck with tires in the past 10 years. Availability of this tire is kind of spotty, as soon as they restock at Simple Tire/eBay site, they sell out again then restock again. My worry is that it is being discontinued.

Reactions
I can confirm that mine are in fact CT60a and were installed for me by local Mr. Tire, Fedexed directly to them from Simple Tire back in early July. I bought from them instead of Tire Rack because their price was about $70 higher. Now Tire Rack no longer lists that tire in that size which I had bookmarked. Sheehy also said their distributor could not find that tire for me back in June. I'm contemplating buying one or two more just in case I get another flat and can't be repaired. I've had bad luck with tires in the past 10 years. Availability of this tire is kind of spotty, as soon as they restock at Simple Tire/eBay site, they sell out again then restock again. My worry is that it is being discontinued.
They should still be available for a while, as long as they are the OEM tire for the Mazda CX-90. I see several lightly used ones on eBay as well.

hbalek

Reactions
Reactions

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I have the 20" wheels and went with the FK460 A/S. You can't go wrong with this ZR rated tire and they have a decent mileage rating. They ride just as well as the Michelin tires that originally came on the vehicle and this is coming from a diehard Michelin fan. These tires also have a pretty cool sidewall, with the letters being slightly indented.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I have the 20" wheels and went with the FK460 A/S. You can't go wrong with this ZR rated tire and they have a decent mileage rating. They ride just as well as the Michelin tires that originally came on the vehicle and this is coming from a diehard Michelin fan. These tires also have a pretty cool sidewall, with the letters being slightly indented.
I have no basis of comparison but the FK460's are what I went with also. So far, I'm very pleased ... but then again, I better be at this price point. :) They handle well in all the weather conditions I've been in and ride nicely to boot. Quiet too. Good to know they match up with the Michelins.

Reactions
I got 3 years/40K miles out of the OEM Pirellis so hopefully these are good for the same!
I had a Mazda CX-5 prior to the Explorer. The factory Yokohama Geolandars lasted pretty long for me, I think I got 40k miles out of them. I hope that's some kind of indication on how these will be, but we and CX-90 owners are guinea pigs, since these tires just came out.