Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Tire Wear

Reactions
Which tires wear faster on these vehicles? Typically they say its the driven wheels, and in a FWD biased AWD system its obviously the front wheels since they also handle all the stress associated with turning. However, I am wondering since these are RWD biased do you think that means the rear tires wear faster?

I ask because I just noticed my rear tires are way more worn than the fronts and I just had them replaced 6 months ago, I've been in for a couple oil changes and it makes me think maybe they have not been rotating the tires on my vehicle. Fronts currently have 6/32 and the rears are somehow at 3/32 for having 6 month old tires. I do launch and drive hard so I wonder if I should rotate the fronts to the rear?

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Proper tire rotation done often enough will keep tire wear even. I have mine rotated at 5000 mile intervals.

Wagner1539

Reactions
I have horrible wear on my tires., I have a 2020 w/ 21" OEM rims. I was buying the Scorpions they came with, but now looking for something else. I have needed to buy a set every year. I have them rotated every 5k. I just dont understand why they are wearing so fast. Anyone else have this issue?

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
The obvious question here is what does the alignment look like?

Wagner1539

Reactions
That was my original worry, I have had it tested twice. All three sets of tires had even wear as well. Also forgot to mention my last pair were Michelin Piolet Sport 4 SUV tires. So two sets of Scorpions and one of the Michelin. Im about to buy my 4th and dont know what to go with.

hbalek

Reactions
That was my original worry, I have had it tested twice. All three sets of tires had even wear as well. Also forgot to mention my last pair were Michelin Piolet Sport 4 SUV tires. So two sets of Scorpions and one of the Michelin. Im about to buy my 4th and dont know what to go with.
My Scorpions were fine until 41,000 miles and replaced them with Falken Ziex CT60 so far so good. I've just had bad luck with nails/screws puncturing them. 3 of the Pirelli's had flats and in less than 2 months one of my new Falkens had one luckily patched.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I've aligned a thousand vehicles over the years but for me to make an educated guess, I'd like to see a copy of the alignment/alignment check printout and I'd like to know both the inflation pressure run and rotation intervals.

I guess it goes without saying, that it isn't hard to wear out a set of tires in short order when aggressively driven. High-performance tires are often a softer rubber compound and typically have a shorter lifespan as well.

I don't know how many miles you put on it in a months' time but it is certainly unusual for someone to go through a set of tires in a year under normal driving conditions.

Last edited:

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
I have 41k on the original Pirelli's. The front has much more tread than the rear.
I am replacing the rears with the Accelera Iota 68 tires. I've seen good reviews for a budget tire.
I will update once installed. 1701758717200.png

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
My Scorpions were fine until 41,000 miles and replaced them with Falken Ziex CT60 so far so good. I've just had bad luck with nails/screws puncturing them. 3 of the Pirelli's had flats and in less than 2 months one of my new Falkens had one luckily patched.
3 months ago, I put Falken Azenis FK460s on and just recently had to repair both back tires from nail punctures. Must be the area we live in cuz I just road drive, no off road.

hbalek

Reactions
3 months ago, I put Falken Azenis FK460s on and just recently had to repair both back tires from nail punctures. Must be the area we live in cuz I just road drive, no off road.
Bad luck for me with tires in my area. Also it kinda makes sense the wider the tread the more chance of hitting a nail or screw.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Bad luck for me with tires in my area. Also it kinda makes sense the wider the tread the more chance of hitting a nail or screw.
Makes sense although both my punctures were almost dead center of the width. I was getting a slow leak fixed when the tech apprised me of the second tire.

Reactions
Have you had the CT60s in the rain yet? I wonder how they are in the snow as well.

hbalek

Reactions
Have you had the CT60s in the rain yet? I wonder how they are in the snow as well.
Rain yes not snow. They seem good in the rain better than the OEM tires.

Reactions
I'm not on Facebook.
Whoops! That's crazy, I was just talking to somebody on FB about these tires, and he was saying the exact same thing.

My tires were delivered yesterday, I noticed that the tire says CT60a on it. I wonder if there is any difference.

hbalek

Reactions
Whoops! That's crazy, I was just talking to somebody on FB about these tires, and he was saying the exact same thing.

My tires were delivered yesterday, I noticed that the tire says CT60a on it. I wonder if there is any difference.
I got mine from Simple Tire who had the best price on Ebay auto. I paid $971 installed for 4 of them. They were installed by my local Mr. Tire.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I got mine from Simple Tire who had the best price on Ebay auto. I paid $971 installed for 4 of them. They were installed by my local Mr. Tire.
What size?