Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Tire tread depth & 4wheel Drive

AkD3ntFix

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
So had a big old flat at 15k miles. Replaced with a Pirelli Scorpion. Now I’m at service for regular maintenance 28k miles. And my advisor is suggesting heavily that because the tread depth on that one tire is 5/32’s difference from the original 3. That will cause undue wear and tear on the transfer case (I think that’s what he said) which won’t be covered under any kind of warranty extended or otherwise. This recommendation is completely based off that. I’d like to know if this sounds plausible to any of the more mechanically inclined folks here. IMO. I could safely and easily drive on the current rubber into the spring before road conditions would make me think otherwise. Idk. I’m just not in the mood to hear I need to drop 1.5k on rubber to maintain a warranty that I know I’ll make use of 50k miles from now. Any thoughts or insight is appreciated thanks.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Check to see if they can turn the new tire down to match the original ones.

Reactions
Vehicle
'23 Expl. ST and '24 'Stang GT Prem., Rapid Red
Lower the new tire's pressure by one pound.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Your service advisor is a tool. Go somewhere else from now on.