Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Time For Upgrades

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
Thread Starter #21

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I get that. I just didn't like cutting up the plastic more.

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #23
I can hardly wait for everything to come in and get installed! Like a kid waiting for Christmas! :LOL:

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #24
I get that. I just didn't like cutting up the plastic more.
I didn't read anything about cutting up any platic! Says "No modification necesary"!

Last edited:

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I didn't read anything about cutting up any platic! Says "No modification necesary"!
Hey it's not a big deal and I haven't looked into it for a long time but when I was looking I remember the installation requiring cutting some of the plastic and seal down at the bottom end of the strut. I also think I remember the MRT attaching lower on the hood, which is a great thing to work around but it bothered me having that much of the upper portion of the hood unsupported from a leverage standpoint.

I did use a little paint applied in the rivet holes that I drilled but I don't think it would ever be a problem if you didn't You won't go wrong either way. Both have been around for a while. I haven't watched this in a long while but here's a video, I think it's their official one.

Last edited:
OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #26
Hey it's not a big deal and I haven't looked into it for a long time but when I was looking I remember the installation requiring cutting some of the plastic and seal down at the bottom end of the strut. I also think I remember the MRT attaching lower on the hood, which is a great thing to work around but it bothered me having that much of the upper portion of the hood unsupported from a leverage standpoint.

I did use a little paint applied in the rivet holes that I drilled but I don't think it would ever be a problem if you didn't You won't go wrong either way. Both have been around for a while. I haven't watched this in a long while but here's a video, I think it's their official one.

Well, you are correct. Even though it states "No vehicle modification necessary", you do have to modify the plastic trim in order for these to fit! I already have them so it looks like I will be trimming the plastic. :(

Reactions
Not knowing your goals, let's assume HP and speed. Intercooler and tune as many have done will get you to the low 12's in the 1/4. So for ~$2100 you get about 100HP boost. For another $3100 you can get Nostrum's stage 1 HPFP and injectors. That will get you ~150hp on 93 or ~200HP on E85. This will drop you into the mid to high 11's in the 1/4 mile. If you are eventually going to go bigger turbos, spend the extra ~$400 now on the stage 2 kit as you will need the extra fuel for the larger turbos. Turbos, downpipes add another ~$4k but you'll be in the 10's.

If you are set at being in the low 12's (still quite quick), then you have about 3 grand to blow on cosmetics and sound (bov, exhaust, etc.)

Lots of builds in the build thread, I would recommend seeing what others have done and see where complaints, regrets, come up and make your decisions.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Not knowing your goals, let's assume HP and speed. Intercooler and tune as many have done will get you to the low 12's in the 1/4. So for ~$2100 you get about 100HP boost. For another $3100 you can get Nostrum's stage 1 HPFP and injectors. That will get you ~150hp on 93 or ~200HP on E85. This will drop you into the mid to high 11's in the 1/4 mile. If you are eventually going to go bigger turbos, spend the extra ~$400 now on the stage 2 kit as you will need the extra fuel for the larger turbos. Turbos, downpipes add another ~$4k but you'll be in the 10's.

If you are set at being in the low 12's (still quite quick), then you have about 3 grand to blow on cosmetics and sound (bov, exhaust, etc.)

Lots of builds in the build thread, I would recommend seeing what others have done and see where complaints, regrets, come up and make your decisions.
You skipped over an E50 tune, IC and DP’s being a mid-11 second combo without needing the HPFP or injectors.

Reactions
Fair enough. I only spoke to what I had first hand experience with.

Off topic but curious, any evidence downpipes do anything? I did them on my 2.7l and it was a 0 change.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Fair enough. I only spoke to what I had first hand experience with.

Off topic but curious, any evidence downpipes do anything? I did them on my 2.7l and it was a 0 change.
Multiple people have dynoed them in the 15-20hp range with a higher bump in tq.

Reactions
Good to know. I hadn't even considered them. Thanks.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Good to know. I hadn't even considered them. Thanks.
I went from 93 and no DP’s running 12.0’s and one 11.99 to SPD DP’s and E50 running 12.6X’s a couple years ago. I also added my full 3’ exhaust with the DP’s but that’s pretty much a zero power addition.

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #33
Parts have started arriving! Did my first upgrades today. I hope to get the hood struts and catch can installed tomorrow. Lowering springs and sway bars are next. Then turbos-back exhaust goes in. Gotta wait until the first of October for the intercooler install. Then the best part goes in: the DMS tune from ZFG! I'm hoping Santa will bring me some new wheels for Christmas

IMG_5380.jpg IMG_5379.jpg IMG_5382.jpg

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #34
I got my UPR Catch Can installed today. It was such an easy job! Start to finish, took about 20 minutes! I was dreading getting the orange connector off but now that they give you a new fitting with the kit, I just broke it off like they show in the directions. Popped right off! Cudos to UPR Products! Also got my hood struts on. All the exhaust parts are in and will get installed next week. I got my tuning hardware in but I'm still waiting on the intercooler. Once everything is installed I can read my stock tune and send it off. Can't wait to see how she runs with the tune! Runs mid 5's in the 0-60, high 8's in the 8th and high 13 to low 14's in the quarter. I remember running low to mid 12's in my V8 Ranger and at the time (early 90's) that was pretty fast! For a street car running Cam-2 anyways!

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #35
Got the SPD Down Pipes and Thermal R&D 3" exhaust installed. Sounds great! It's reletively quiet until you get on it and then it get louder. Thanks to all who recommended the Thermal 3"! I'm very happy with it. Now I just have to get the intercooler installed so I can get started with my tune!