Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Thermal mid pipes to stock exhaust

Reactions
Vehicle
20 Platinum
Does anyone know if the thermal mid pipes will connect to an otherwise stock exhaust with no modifications necessary?

Thanks

OP
B
Reactions
Vehicle
20 Platinum
Thread Starter #2
Does anyone know if the thermal mid pipes will connect to an otherwise stock exhaust with no modifications necessary?

Thanks
Suppose I am going to find out lol. I couldn't pass up thermals sale on these so I went ahead and ordered. I know these will connect to the dp's fine it's just the connection to the rest of the stock exhaust I am not sure of. Their other exhaust systems connect to stock mid pipes so maybe I'll get lucky. Worst case I am sure an exhaust shop can figure it out.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
The lethal midpipes fit.

OP
B
Reactions
Vehicle
20 Platinum
Thread Starter #4
The lethal midpipes fit.
Yep but getting the thermal pipes for $209 shipped to my house brand new is hard to pass up.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
WOW. great deal!

OP
B
Reactions
Vehicle
20 Platinum
Thread Starter #6
Brief update on this for anyone interested. I have not put the mid pipes on yet. However, there are 2 issues with this set up:

1. Pipe size. The thermal pipes are 2.5", the stock pipes are not. Easily overcome by using a reducer.
2. The pipe length from the end of the mid pipes to the rest of the exhaust. The thermal mid pipes are a different length compared to the factory mid pipes. Thermal includes an adapter with their full exhaust systems that allow them to reach the factory mid pipes. They do not include this with just the mid pipes nor do they sell it separately that I can see. In order for this to work I will need to either buy this adapter or make one.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I have the Thermal R&D 2.5" mid pipes and their 2.5" exhaust. Install took like 1 hour, which includes removing the OEM exhaust. I recommend holding on to the mid pipes and trying to pick up their exhaust if you can. Everything will then bolt up just fine. Running just their mid pipe won't really do anything for you (unless there is something physically wrong with your OEM mid pipes and you want to replace them with something other than OEM?).

OP
B
Reactions
Vehicle
20 Platinum
Thread Starter #8
I have the Thermal R&D 2.5" mid pipes and their 2.5" exhaust. Install took like 1 hour, which includes removing the OEM exhaust. I recommend holding on to the mid pipes and trying to pick up their exhaust if you can. Everything will then bolt up just fine. Running just their mid pipe won't really do anything for you (unless there is something physically wrong with your OEM mid pipes and you want to replace them with something other than OEM?).
Thank you. I have an axle back system installed and the explorer is my wifes daily driver. What we have is plenty enough sound with nicer tips which is all I wanted. The factory mid pipes are rattling and the warranty fix does nothing so I wanted to replace them with something better. With the deal I got on these, I will try to make them work.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Ahhh. Okay, gotcha. And I know exactly what you mean with the rattling from the OEM mid pipes. I had the same problem with mine, one of the reasons I went with an aftermarket exhaust. To get rid of the rattling. We even had the worm clamp "trick" on the OEM flex joints to try to stop it. ...it didn't stop it.

My full exhaust did come with those adapters and clamps - I'm not going to ever use them. PM your address and I'll ship them out to you, free of charge (assuming shipping is reasonable, which it should be).

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
Ahhh. Okay, gotcha. And I know exactly what you mean with the rattling from the OEM mid pipes. I had the same problem with mine, one of the reasons I went with an aftermarket exhaust. To get rid of the rattling. We even had the worm clamp "trick" on the OEM flex joints to try to stop it. ...it didn't stop it.

My full exhaust did come with those adapters and clamps - I'm not going to ever use them. PM your address and I'll ship them out to you, free of charge (assuming shipping is reasonable, which it should be).
I just swapped my stock ones with the lethal mid pipe’s took 15 min just put the car on ramps in the rear and took The stock off with bfh and no more rattle

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
bfh=Big F*@king hammer?

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Nice

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I just swapped my stock ones with the lethal mid pipe’s took 15 min just put the car on ramps in the rear and took The stock off with bfh and no more rattle
Yeeaah, that rattle though. Drove me absolutely nuts. I even had the dealer to the thing where one puts a big 'ol worm clamp around each of the flex joints to try to get the rattling to stop (this "fix" was suggested in an actual Ford tech bulletin :cautious: link ). It didn't work. So frustrating to have such a nice, performance oriented vehicle, for it to sound like such ass because it rattled.

Additionally, when I swapped out the exhaust, I noticed that screen that covers the flex joints in the mid pipes was actually coming off in a couple places. No idea if this contributed to the rattle.

Reactions
Shoulda just bought the lethal mid pipes as they bolt up to stock exhaust.

NYPigskin

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Shoulda just bought the lethal mid pipes as they bolt up to stock exhaust.
Thermal R&D are lifetime warranty. You have to purchase an extended warranty for Lethal.

NYPigskin

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thank you. I have an axle back system installed and the explorer is my wifes daily driver. What we have is plenty enough sound with nicer tips which is all I wanted. The factory mid pipes are rattling and the warranty fix does nothing so I wanted to replace them with something better. With the deal I got on these, I will try to make them work.
Did it work? How did you connect the mid pipes to the muffler pipes?

OP
B
Reactions
Vehicle
20 Platinum
Thread Starter #18
Did it work? How did you connect the mid pipes to the muffler pipes?
No. It would have been more work than I wanted to do. I ended up buying the lethal mid pipes and put those on.