Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Thermal Exhaust Installation

V8 GOAT

Reactions
This is my first post on this forum, though I have been part of online auto forums for almost 20 years - GTO, G8, Corvette, Raptor, etc... In fact, the Raptor is actually the reason I am here. I bought a new Raptor last year, and I actually made a TON of money trading it in just a few weeks ago, so the ST was my replacement for now. I have a '21 Carbonized Gray with every option except the Pano.

I spent a couple of weeks researching exhaust options because I couldn't deal with the silence of the stock system. I have had nearly every brand of exhaust throughout the years on various cars (mostly heads, cam, longtubes), so I have had some LOUD cars. That is not what I wanted for the Explorer, so after much debate, I ended up choosing the Thermal R&D from Ron at Whoosh Motorsports. I was very impressed with the fit, finish, and quality of materials. I did the installation in my garage just using ramps, and it was a breeze. It look less than 2 hours. Unfortunately the box was damaged by UPS, so one of the exhaust tips was missing, so I don't have a picture yet. I have reached out to Ron to see about a replacement.

As for the sound, I am impressed! Again, it is likely the quietest exhaust option, but for a daily driver, that is what I wanted. There is no discernible drone when cruising at highway speeds. But you can definitely hear the exhaust during normal acceleration - just slightly louder than the FENG, and obviously a much better tone. It also really comes to life under hard acceleration. As for the tone itself, it is very refined. It sounds like the type of note you would expect from a V6 performance vehicle - I may get roasted for this comparison, but think Porsche exhaust... It's a true and honest and refined V6 sound. It's not one of the systems that I feel like is trying to create (or fake) the impression that you have a V8. All that being said, I am really enjoying the system! If you want something a bit more subtle, I think the Thermal is an excellent option. If you want loud, go Borla!

Reactions
This is my first post on this forum, though I have been part of online auto forums for almost 20 years - GTO, G8, Corvette, Raptor, etc... In fact, the Raptor is actually the reason I am here. I bought a new Raptor last year, and I actually made a TON of money trading it in just a few weeks ago, so the ST was my replacement for now. I have a '21 Carbonized Gray with every option except the Pano.

I spent a couple of weeks researching exhaust options because I couldn't deal with the silence of the stock system. I have had nearly every brand of exhaust throughout the years on various cars (mostly heads, cam, longtubes), so I have had some LOUD cars. That is not what I wanted for the Explorer, so after much debate, I ended up choosing the Thermal R&D from Ron at Whoosh Motorsports. I was very impressed with the fit, finish, and quality of materials. I did the installation in my garage just using ramps, and it was a breeze. It look less than 2 hours. Unfortunately the box was damaged by UPS, so one of the exhaust tips was missing, so I don't have a picture yet. I have reached out to Ron to see about a replacement.

As for the sound, I am impressed! Again, it is likely the quietest exhaust option, but for a daily driver, that is what I wanted. There is no discernible drone when cruising at highway speeds. But you can definitely hear the exhaust during normal acceleration - just slightly louder than the FENG, and obviously a much better tone. It also really comes to life under hard acceleration. As for the tone itself, it is very refined. It sounds like the type of note you would expect from a V6 performance vehicle - I may get roasted for this comparison, but think Porsche exhaust... It's a true and honest and refined V6 sound. It's not one of the systems that I feel like is trying to create (or fake) the impression that you have a V8. All that being said, I am really enjoying the system! If you want something a bit more subtle, I think the Thermal is an excellent option. If you want loud, go Borla!

Nice review!

Any crackles or pops with the thermal? Wish someone was local to me with thermal so I could hear it. From the sounds of it it would be good for a daily driver.

Reactions
I love my Thermal! No drone on highway but when you hit it the sound is great. I have not experienced any pops or crackles but cats will stop most of that. When in sport mode and it downshifts when slowing the sound is almost like rev matching in a manual. You will need to re-torque couplers after some driving to assure proper fit and rigidity. The Borla's also sound great but I was not happy with the right angles and no mid pipe offering. The Thermal is 2.5" from down pipes back. I will post some pics in a bit

Tommy

OK ST

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Someone posted in another post that they don't like being able to see the clamps for the tips. Not easy to see but I wonder if anyone is thinking about having a shop weld the tips on? If I go with exhaust that is what I will likely do.

OP
V

V8 GOAT

Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Nice review!

Any crackles or pops with the thermal? Wish someone was local to me with thermal so I could hear it. From the sounds of it it would be good for a daily driver.
As others have noted, I have not noticed any crackles or pops, though personally, I wish it would! It does seem to be a good selection for a DD. It has gotten slightly louder as it has broken in over the past week.

However, I cannot give a full review on the interior volume level as I still do not have the exhaust tips that were not in my shipment - so the exhaust is all coming out about 8-10" short of the rear bumper and resonating underneath.

I am not sure exactly what I am going to do. I have reached out to Ron at Whoosh Motorsports multiple times and have not even received a response - not a single word. I even reached out to Thermal directly - they indicated they would ship a replacement no later than last Thursday, but I have not heard from them either.

Reactions
As others have noted, I have not noticed any crackles or pops, though personally, I wish it would! It does seem to be a good selection for a DD. It has gotten slightly louder as it has broken in over the past week.

However, I cannot give a full review on the interior volume level as I still do not have the exhaust tips that were not in my shipment - so the exhaust is all coming out about 8-10" short of the rear bumper and resonating underneath.

I am not sure exactly what I am going to do. I have reached out to Ron at Whoosh Motorsports multiple times and have not even received a response - not a single word. I even reached out to Thermal directly - they indicated they would ship a replacement no later than last Thursday, but I have not heard from them either.
Something is going on, three of us with either both tips missing or one missing (in my case, the passenger side). I assumed it fell out because the box was damaged so sweet by UPS, but now wonder if something else is going on. I have yet to receive info on a replacement as well.

OP
V

V8 GOAT

Reactions
Thread Starter #9
Update - Perhaps this is just coincidental, but I received a response Tuesday morning from Ron, and Thermal was able to ship replacement tips the same day. They are scheduled to arrive Friday via UPS. Hopefully I get the correct one, because I am definitely ready to install them. I will post a follow up at that time.

Reactions
I hear something that sounds like overrun on my full thermal exhaust randomly, definitely not as consistent as what I am use to for cars that have it tuned/programmed in.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I hear something that sounds like overrun on my full thermal exhaust randomly, definitely not as consistent as what I am use to for cars that have it tuned/programmed in.
snap, crackle, and pop; overrun; or a "burble tune" noise (a favorite of VW and Audi); comes about with excess fuel in the hot exhaust. while it sounds AMAZING--it is a byproduct of wasted fuel. good tuners tend not to waste fuel. i had a friend with an APR burble tune on his RS3 and it dropped his mpgs like 2-3mpg. it was crazy. all that being said, downpipes with high flow cats WILL make the instances in which you hear overrun happen alot more and they are alot louder when they do happen. so for those of you with a thermal exhaust but no downpipes, a good set of 3" downpipes with a high-flow set of cats from an outfit like Vibrant will get you the noise you seek.

Reactions
Recently installed the Thermal exhaust with the extra flow tubes, wish it was louder. Build quality is reasonably good but otherwise disappointed in the result. The Thermal sounds like what I’d have expected the ST to sound like stock, but obviously I was going for something that sounds sporty all the time.

OP
V

V8 GOAT

Reactions
Thread Starter #13
UPDATE - I did receive the correct tips in good condition, and I did get them installed. I took a picture, but the car is a little dirty - my apologies.

I will agree with THNX SVT in that this exhaust is how the ST should have sounded stock. It’s quiet when you want it to be, and it makes a very, very nice sound under acceleration. I will say that it is not LOUD, but in my opinion, it’s loud enough. This was the perfect option for me, and I am extremely pleased with how it turned out.

Attachments

Reactions
UPDATE - I did receive the correct tips in good condition, and I did get them installed. I took a picture, but the car is a little dirty - my apologies.

I will agree with THNX SVT in that this exhaust is how the ST should have sounded stock. It’s quiet when you want it to be, and it makes a very, very nice sound under acceleration. I will say that it is not LOUD, but in my opinion, it’s loud enough. This was the perfect option for me, and I am extremely pleased with how it turned out.
Thanks for the information. I have my eye on this exhaust whenever I decide to do the upgrade.