Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

The best diff brace money can buy.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
The brace looks great but I’m wondering how the access to the rear differential fluid fill plug is? it’s tough to tell from the photos but while they accommodated the drain plug, it looks like the fill location is pretty well hidden after installation. Any thoughts on that @UNBROKEN or anyone else who has installed the ID Speed Brace?

OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #22
There’s plenty of access to everything. But…if someone wanted more access for whatever reason it would be easy to remove the diff side of the brace to accommodate that for the once…maybe twice in the vehicles lifespan the diff fluid would actually be changed.
FYI there’s a code on ID Speed right now for 15% off: nofear

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thanks for the response and the code. Like I said, photos can be tricky when it comes to distance between things. So good to hear that there is room as once installed, I’d rather leave it in place.

I was actually happy to see drain and fill holes on the ST when I was crawling under to see if it had one or two bolts on the Cross Member. For whatever reason, Ford doesn’t have them on either differential cover for the F-150 including the Raptor. Opting to go with a solid stamped steel cover. Ah, bean counters….

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
The brace looks great but I’m wondering how the access to the rear differential fluid fill plug is? it’s tough to tell from the photos but while they accommodated the drain plug, it looks like the fill location is pretty well hidden after installation. Any thoughts on that @UNBROKEN or anyone else who has installed the ID Speed Brace?

Gawd dayum that is beefy. That is one of the better looking braces that I think would actually have a benefit though. Although beefy doesn't mean anything unless that bushing can withstand it. If that bushing is as solid as a rock with just enough give to prevent the diff from twisting, it should be very effective against snapping the 3 bolt design.

That's my only concern, is that the bushing isn't hard enough to prevent a lot of flex especially when tuned. Otherwise this would be the first mod I do once I get my ST.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Am finally getting around to installing the ID Speed brace now that the weather here is more conducive to crawling under the vehicle and had a question about using anti-seize compound on the bolts. The instructions seem to indicate only using it on the bolts holding the bushing but not those on the differential cover. Am I reading that correctly or should all of the bolts get treated?

OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #26
Personally…I coated all of mine.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Personally…I coated all of mine.
That would be my thinking as well but since the instructions seem to indicate otherwise, i was wondering what others have done as well as if there was a reason not to put anti-seize specifically on the cover bolts. Thanks for the feedback.

While the product is very good, I have to say that the included instructions aren’t the best. They could use some clarification on two points. First, the anti-seize item and the other being the reuse of one of the original cover bolts. It becomes obvious once you look at the part that the only bolt location where you could reuse the original bolt is the upper right bolt hole but they could have just said that rather than the language used in the instructions. Oh well, maybe I’m just being too critical and should have had more coffee before posting.

Reactions
The only time I don't put anti-seize on hardware, is when I'm putting loctite on it. Loctite does help prevent galling.

Reactions
Does anyone have the torque specs for all the bolts used with the IDspeed brace?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Does anyone have the torque specs for all the bolts used with the IDspeed brace?
It’s a little late but here’s the installation instructions for the brace that includes the torque specs. For some reason, they didn’t include specs for the bolts used on the bushing housing and bushing housing brace. Right or wrong, I went with the torque specs used for the differential cover (25 ft lbs) to ensure not stripping the threads in the plate.

1691604895301.jpeg

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
One thing to note is they weren’t kidding about going back and rechecking the torque specs after driving around for “a little bit”. I went and rechecked after having driven around in a mostly non-spirited way and found that the 90mm bolt had gone out of its 70 ft lb torque spec and needed to be set again. The other bolts needed minor adjustments but weren’t that far out of spec. Will probably recheck things again in a few weeks just To be on the safe side.

Reactions
One thing to note is they weren’t kidding about going back and rechecking the torque specs after driving around for “a little bit”. I went and rechecked after having driven around in a mostly non-spirited way and found that the 90mm bolt had gone out of its 70 ft lb torque spec and needed to be set again. The other bolts needed minor adjustments but weren’t that far out of spec. Will probably recheck things again in a few weeks just To be on the safe side.
I used blue Loctite so in theory my bolts should not be backing out, but I will be double checking them regardless.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
I was looking at doing this as my next mod but after searching and reading posts on FB, it appears that the 2020 models don't need it? I did look and confirmed I have 2/4 bolts. I don't race but I do launch her from time to time and it is tuned, so is this worth doing? I don't mind spending the money but don't want to spend it needlessly if I can spend it on something else.

Boss240

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST, 2012 Boss Mustang, 2019 Audi S4
I was looking at doing this as my next mod but after searching and reading posts on FB, it appears that the 2020 models don't need it? I did look and confirmed I have 2/4 bolts. I don't race but I do launch her from time to time and it is tuned, so is this worth doing? I don't mind spending the money but don't want to spend it needlessly if I can spend it on something else.
Your 4 bolt setup isn't going to break like the 3 bolt will but the brace can help tighten up the rear end on hard launches. Someone can hopefully explain it better.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST, Rapid Red; 2020 and 2022 STs

Wow! Things that I like about this brace:
1. It looks VERY strong.
2. It attaches with THREE diff-case screws.
3. The bushing looks big enough to isolate noise and vibration from the passenger compartment.

FWIW, I'm buying one for my incoming RED '23.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Thats correct Boss.
Broose, having the 4-bolt is a blessing, and generally you should not have a problem.
The original spec was 4-bolt so it should hold. Now, if you're going to be adding a ton of HP and doing heavy hauling, you still may consider a diff augmentation, though I don't really see you needing it.
(Drag racing has always required drivetrain augmentation for reinforcement, so that is nothing new)

Reactions
Vehicle
OK, thank you. I think I'm done adding performance mods for now so no more Hp. I want to move on to handling and exterior mods.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
I tried ordering just now, but California is not in the dropdown list of states for their checkout system. :mad:
While I understand that emissions-altering performance modifications are something they would not want to deal with CA for- The diff brace does not change that footprint at all....

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Skip a diff brace for now with the 2-bolt. But you should order up the Steeda Subframe Bushing Insert kit. This will help with wheelhop and reducing movement on any Explorer.

Reactions
Vehicle
Just looked it up and I need to figure out my Subframe Part Number. It says to call Ford for the number. I did a search for a 2020 ST and it came up with a number ending in F which of course it says "Does Not Fit".