Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

SYNC3 Build 22020/22048

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Looks like CyanLabs has released the next build for SYNC3 its build 22020 but early reviewer's not overly impressed yet again. Expectations of 10" screen optimization have not materialized in this version. I'm waiting for official release on Ford Owners site before I update.

Last edited:
Reactions
Looks like CyanLabs has released the next build for SYNC3 its build 22020 but early reviewer's not overly impressed yet again. Expectations of 10" screen optimization have not materialized in this version. I'm waiting for official release on Ford Owners site before I update.
There will likely never be any noticeable changes. Anything that will be done will be bug and performances fixes. The hardware just does not have the power to do anything much more. Like you I wish they would optimize the 10" screen layout especially for the backup and 360 camera....It is just so small, but yet there is so much display real-estate. We are 3 years in on the explorer so I just don't see any changes coming.

Reactions
There will likely never be any noticeable changes. Anything that will be done will be bug and performances fixes. The hardware just does not have the power to do anything much more. Like you I wish they would optimize the 10" screen layout especially for the backup and 360 camera....It is just so small, but yet there is so much display real-estate. We are 3 years in on the explorer so I just don't see any changes coming.
Doesnt need much on the hardware, just needs to literally make the back up screen to show in a bigger area. Its just video signal.

Android auto/carplay also, it is very possible to show it tad bigger than what it is. Subaru already did it with Carplay. Doesnt really rely on infotainment hardware since its practically screen mirroring.

Reactions
Doesnt need much on the hardware, just needs to literally make the back up screen to show in a bigger area. Its just video signal.

Android auto/carplay also, it is very possible to show it tad bigger than what it is. Subaru already did it with Carplay. Doesnt really rely on infotainment hardware since its practically screen mirroring.
That is true, I meant hardware wise more features added to it software. The back up camera should be easy for them to enlarge the screen. But then comes into play the resolution of all the cameras if they enlarge the area could be pixelated.

OP
Sgt1411

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Thread Starter #5
We will have to see what is officially released. I have seen it before where Cyanlabs does a release and it takes a month for Ford to do their release and it's a different build. But your right, be prepared to be disappointed.

Reactions
We will have to see what is officially released. I have seen it before where Cyanlabs does a release and it takes a month for Ford to do their release and it's a different build. But your right, be prepared to be disappointed.
Yep, I think the screen was more there to catch peoples eye other than being functional.

Reactions
LOL! Man what a bunch of negative thinkers here! Even though there may not be an improvement, there’s always a chance there will be. I agree that the video display is smaller than it needs to be but the other displays it has are nice, like the full map view for one. I have no complaints with anything on my ST. It’s been perfect since day one. Oh wait….the door at the front of the console where the USB ports are located doesn’t want to open sometimes.

Reactions
LOL! Man what a bunch of negative thinkers here! Even though there may not be an improvement, there’s always a chance there will be. I agree that the video display is smaller than it needs to be but the other displays it has are nice, like the full map view for one. I have no complaints with anything on my ST. It’s been perfect since day one. Oh wait….the door at the front of the console where the USB ports are located doesn’t want to open sometimes.
True we all have our usages , not negative thinking. I use CarPlay for nav…it basically only uses the top 1/3 of the screen. For this it would be more functional to just have a 8” screen where CarPlay uses the whole screen. It already been commented on the cyanlab forum there was no improvement in the 10” screen. It just seem the sync developers could have put a little more effort in the layout. Basically like bluesnake said how Subaru does theirs.

Attachments

Reactions
I am surprised no one has swapped out the 10" screen for the smaller screen

OP
Sgt1411

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Thread Starter #10
You do realize that SYNC2 and SYNC3 were major contributors as to why Ford sank so low in Customer satisfaction results right?

Its negative thinking to ask for a multimedia system that's as good as or better than the competition?

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You do realize that SYNC2 and SYNC3 were major contributors as to why Ford sank so low in Customer satisfaction results right?

Its negative thinking to ask for a multimedia system that's as good as or better than the competition?
Coming from 15 years driving GM, I can honestly say that the Sync system in my Explorer blows compared to similar in GM. Part of it is my familiarity with GM and having to relearn where stuff is but a big part of it is functionality and user friendly-ness. It would seem a trivial change to make the screen use more real estate when using carplay or google but there also seem to be lots of quirks that I didn't see in the GM platform.

Not bashing Ford and I really like my Explorer, just seems they are missing the boat with Sync3. Maybe Sync4 will be a big improvement but likely won't help us.

OP
Sgt1411

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Thread Starter #12
I think when the CEO (Mark Fields) punches the screen in his company vehicle and cracks the screen because his SYNC system froze its likely a sign your multimedia software needs to be better. Just my opinion.

Reactions
I never use Sync's 3 Nav as its slow and nowhere near as good in general vs the Google maps. Also the voice assistance from Sync 3 is horrible, never gets the right address. Full screen nav looks nice thats about it lol

Coming from 15 years driving GM, I can honestly say that the Sync system in my Explorer blows compared to similar in GM. Part of it is my familiarity with GM and having to relearn where stuff is but a big part of it is functionality and user friendly-ness. It would seem a trivial change to make the screen use more real estate when using carplay or google but there also seem to be lots of quirks that I didn't see in the GM platform.

Not bashing Ford and I really like my Explorer, just seems they are missing the boat with Sync3. Maybe Sync4 will be a big improvement but likely won't help us.
Sync 4 isnt much better, just a faster nicer looking Sync 3 but its UI and support is still a mess. Big reason why Ford is dropping it in favor of Android, it cant compete with GM's and Dodge's infotainment system. The UI from my 17 Caddy is a million times better and faster than my Explorer's. Dodge though has the best one

Reactions

This is so true, I just wish we could have our backup camera and 360 camera bigger than the size of a debit card like it is. There was no point in putting in 10" screen to use 2/3rds of it to display the radio station...lol. Yes I heard of the android OS is coming to Ford .....the bad is we are stuck with 3.4 I don't see them doing any major improvements on it, since sync 4 is out and the move to the android based infotainment is in the works. I agree with others my GM system I had was great and my wife new Toyota Venza is amazing as well. One feature I like in the Toyota is when the front sensors kick in the display switches to the front camera automatically on the display. The odd thing is most of the stuff like the camera can easily be integrated into sync 3.x. I still don't understand how the edge got sync 4 when it is a dead model after 2023.

Last edited:

Kirk ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
The Sync3 system is the low-point of this vehicle. IT works fine, but is slow, buggy, and leaves a lot on the table in simple design principles (screen usage etc.) When I've rented 2021 budget import cars that have Android Auto, I'm always surprised that it works (and works well) wirelessly! How did we miss this boat and still have to plug in our phones. I can't imagine the tech jump from 20 to 21 was some sort of moonlanding moment.

That said, when I've been in a rented Explorer with the horizontal screen, some of the features are better, others are not. e.g. Android or Carplay take up the entire screen. You can't get to the other sync controls (sat radio) when Android or Apple dominates the screen. it's just a different set of issues with the horizontal version. Backup camera is larger though, which helps.

fingers crossed the new build will offer some noticeable benefits!

OP
Sgt1411

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Thread Starter #16
My Ford Owner site still says No SYNC3 Update available

Reactions
maybe an aftermarket company will come out with a replacement kit. stinger, kenwood, alpine, sony, any of the bigger 10" screens would look at home there and be landscape based...one can only wish...LOL

OP
Sgt1411

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Thread Starter #19
On one of the other forums it was mentioned that build 22020 has been abandoned after testing and they are now testing build 22048

Translating that = months away

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
On one of the other forums it was mentioned that build 22020 has been abandoned after testing and they are now testing build 22048

Translating that = months away
Ehhh unless it’s going to introduce new features or fix their dumbass design, I’m fine. Mine works well and does everything I need it to.

my mom just got a 22 rav4 xse hybrid. That system is garbage! That screen is garbage! I’ll take our smaller camera any day to avoid that system lol just a side note. I know sync is trashed a lot and there are certainly better systems out there, but compared to Toyota, sync is miles better.