Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Sync 4 Upgrade for 2020 Explorer

KegsBdry

Reactions
Hopefully the word gets back to Ford that their interface needs updating.

Last edited:

kimmonia

Reactions
I thought Sync 4 had to have new hardware.

Reactions
What is the consensus on Iphone & CarPlay. Are we waiting for Apple to offer some software update to have it work wirelessly or is it only happening when there is a Synch 4.

in the meantime which USB Dongle works best?

Reactions
What is the consensus on Iphone & CarPlay. Are we waiting for Apple to offer some software update to have it work wirelessly or is it only happening when there is a Synch 4.

in the meantime which USB Dongle works best?
Check this out

https://cplay2air.com/

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Carplay2Air is a relabelled Carlinkit AFAIK. There is a new Carlinkit v. 2.0 which has some hardware improvements. I've had it 2 weeks now and it works fairly well. I made sure it worked and then updated the dongle. Everything went smoothly. For the most part it works fairly well. The nice thing about getting it from Amazon is that you get it quickly--not shipped from China, and can be returned if there is something wrong with it or you can't get it to work. I don't mind paying a little more for that.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08767RQDB/ref=afx_dp_prime_egress?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh

Reactions
I really hope this isn't still true.

From Akins Ford:

What Ford Vehicles Have will Have SYNC® 4?
Unfortunately, there is no way to upgrade your SYNC® 3 infotainment system to SYNC® 4. You will, however, be able to find the next-generation infotainment system on upcoming Ford models.
What Ford vehicles will have SYNC® 4? The SYNC® 4 platform will make its first appearance in the new 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E, which is set for release in late 2020. After the Mustang Mach-E, Ford will begin rolling out the SYNC® 4 platform on most redesigned Ford vehicles starting in 2020.
Ford revealed that SYNC® 4 will be able to function on screens as small as 8-inches, but the Mustang Mach-E starts on the other edge of the spectrum. The new all-electric SUV will feature a full 15.5-inch portrait aspect touchscreen, the biggest screen size that SYNC® 4 supports.

See this website for the full details.

Can you Upgrade SYNC® 3 to SYNC® 4? - Akins Ford

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Ford also said something similar about upgrading sync 2 to sync 3 so I wouldn’t get too worried about it yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
In the past and likely in the future, you just swap out the APIM and screen. Not exactly cheap. I wouldn't find it worth it but you might. Ford has already moved past Sync 4 to Google, and some who have seen Sync 4 up close were not impressed. I just want something that will do justice to Carplay. The infotainment in my wife's 2021 Audi Q5 is amazing compared to what we have. Makes our display look like some kids version of a tablet. Even the camera feeds are high resolution but the Carplay is outstanding.

Reactions
The 2024/5 explorer will probably get it I would assume. God knows if they'll make an ST then with all the emission/ev stuff coming down the pipe.

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
In the past and likely in the future, you just swap out the APIM and screen. Not exactly cheap. I wouldn't find it worth it but you might. Ford has already moved past Sync 4 to Google, and some who have seen Sync 4 up close were not impressed. I just want something that will do justice to Carplay. The infotainment in my wife's 2021 Audi Q5 is amazing compared to what we have. Makes our display look like some kids version of a tablet. Even the camera feeds are high resolution but the Carplay is outstanding.
I use SYNC4 in a work truck, and on a demo Mach E, its very unimpressive to say the least. It looks great on the big 12" screen in the new 2021/22 F150 but functionality is still nothing like GM MyLink or FCA U-Connect.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I use SYNC4 in a work truck, and on a demo Mach E, its very unimpressive to say the least. It looks great on the big 12" screen in the new 2021/22 F150 but functionality is still nothing like GM MyLink or FCA U-Connect.
LOL. I hear you. I love this vehicle and hate everything that has to do with FCA, but my god is U-Connect great.