Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Sync 3 software update downloading

Blackssr

Reactions
Just checked owner.ford.com and entered my vin #. I have an update available to 20282. Going to start my car and see if I can update via wifi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just went to web site and checked. Tells me I am up to date with 20136.... Go figure!

Reactions
I just went to web site and checked. Tells me I am up to date with 20136.... Go figure!
It’s bs. I went to the car to update to the current software and it said there are no updates available. I’m still running 20136.

Taz

Reactions
FWIW, I upgraded to the 20282 through CyanLabs and USB about two weeks ago. The whole upgrade went super smooth, except now I'm having handshaking issues with the main screen and radio. Once in a while when I start the car, the big screen will be off but the radio is on. The radio can't shut down using power button. I have to turn off the car and open the door and close. It happened to me this morning actually. I've also had an issue of no main screen displayed or radio when starting the car and the power button does not function until I restart the car. I don't recall this in the previous version. I actually had to restart the car twice to fix it this morning, the radio never went off when I turned the car off and opened the door. The one thing I do notice with the 20282 is that the touch screen functions seem more responsive. If these issue continue, I'll try to revert back to the previous version.
Jim

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #24
FWIW, I upgraded to the 20282 through CyanLabs and USB about two weeks ago. The whole upgrade went super smooth, except now I'm having handshaking issues with the main screen and radio. Once in a while when I start the car, the big screen will be off but the radio is on. The radio can't shut down using power button. I have to turn off the car and open the door and close. It happened to me this morning actually. I've also had an issue of no main screen displayed or radio when starting the car and the power button does not function until I restart the car. I don't recall this in the previous version. I actually had to restart the car twice to fix it this morning, the radio never went off when I turned the car off and opened the door. The one thing I do notice with the 20282 is that the touch screen functions seem more responsive. If these issue continue, I'll try to revert back to the previous version.
Jim
20282 sounds like it fixed an issue I've been having with the infotainment system, lag on button responses. but I do recall having that issue with the screen not powering up or responding to previous versions of 20136. How to get that resolved soon. Thank you for the info.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I think 20282 is the best yet. No major issues so far and I've noticed quite a few running through the different versions since 7/2019. I think if you have issues and have not done a factory reset when upgrading for several versions, now may be a good time to do so. It is not much of a pain to do so... just need to re-enter your home wifi, re-pair your phone and re-activate Ford Pass app afterwards.

Last edited:
Reactions
Checking for update from the car it tells me I’m up to date with 20136 but checking via the Ford owners website, it shows 20282 update available. I’ll probably try USB from the site.

Taz

Reactions
I think 20282 is the best yet. No major issues so far and I've noticed quite a few running through the different versions since 7/2019. I think if you have issues and have not done a factory reset when upgrading for several versions, now may be a good time to do so. It is not much of a pain to do so... just need to re-enter your home wifi, re-pair your phone and re-activate Ford Pass app afterwards.
Thanks, I'll try that. I didn't think about doing a reset. I'm also going to try reloading the file over the initial one. I read on ford.com that might also might also help.

Jim

Reactions
Has anyone tried doing the update while using your cell phone as a hotspot?

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #29
Has anyone tried doing the update while using your cell phone as a hotspot?
All attempts using my hotspot has made the process even slower.

Taz

Reactions
I've been having daily issues with 20282. They have mostly been radio / touch screen related. This morning, I dropped my daughter off at school and when she got out and closed the door, I got the double honk and message "no key detected" My key was sitting in the cup holder and battery Is good. I pressed "ok" on the wheel and drove on.

I'm going to try resetting unit and reloading the firmware. It's definitely more responsive on the touch screen but the other issues are becoming annoying quick. I'll post the results of those actions soon.

Jim

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #31
I've been having daily issues with 20282. They have mostly been radio / touch screen related. This morning, I dropped my daughter off at school and when she got out and closed the door, I got the double honk and message "no key detected" My key was sitting in the cup holder and battery Is good. I pressed "ok" on the wheel and drove on.

I'm going to try resetting unit and reloading the firmware. It's definitely more responsive on the touch screen but the other issues are becoming annoying quick. I'll post the results of those actions soon.

Jim
That double honk drives me nuts. I keep forgetting about it and gets me every time!

Reactions
That double honk drives me nuts. I keep forgetting about it and gets me every time!
I disabled mine. Get out to get the mail with engine running and get blasted...that’s a loud ass horn too.

TheJonse

Reactions
No OTA update showing up, but 20282 was available for me on the ford sync website, just updated the car via USB in ~25 mins. Not driven it yet so no idea what it has changed.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
just updated to the latest from Cyan's site, it is a newer version (20351) than Ford site. Not sure of any difference yet. I wish there were release notes like every other software update from other vendors.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions
just updated to the latest from Cyan's site, it is a newer version (20351) than Ford site. Not sure of any difference yet. I wish there were release notes like every other software update from other vendors.
Do you have a link to this update?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Do you have a link to this update?

When you download the Sync3 Updater and run it, it is a version option to select in the drop down box. There's also some chatter around if you google, but I didn't spend too much time yet, seems like a minor update. Still, release notes would be nice.. :)

Taz

Reactions
I ended up loading the 20282 firmware on top of the initial download and that seemed to do the trick, all issues went away. I did not do a reset in between. It was stated on Ford.com that reloading the firmware over the first one might help any issues. I haven't had any problems whatsoever since. I'm curious now about the 20351. I'll try that tomorrow.
Jim

TURBOAUTO

Reactions
Jim
Good Morning from Venezuela. Did you update from Cyanlabs? Because I have a 2021 Explorer ST, and it says that the downgrade process could brick my device. Thanks in advance for your answer

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Good Morning from Venezuela. Did you update from Cyanlabs? Because I have a 2021 Explorer ST, and it says that the downgrade process could brick my device. Thanks in advance for your answer
You need to update to 21020 separately from the maps. The maps is what previously needed downgrade and reformat using Cyanlabs, but that process is left without drivers for the display. Just use Sync3Updater to upgrade to 21020.

For the NA 2.20 maps:
https://community.cyanlabs.net/t/no...tallation-stand-alone-without-reformat/2965/2

Supposedly "Ci" version of Sync3 updater will do both but it is still recommended to do them separately. I've not done that but did the above instead.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
My sync version is back a few updates. It won't update in the car so I was gonna try downloading the newest update to a thumb drive and then put that in the car and try to update it from there ... But I'm not sure I want to update!!! I have a 2022 and so far I have not had QNY problems with the reverse screen or any other probs with my sync 3 . So I am almost worried I might open a can of worms by updating it . All the issues of ppl with a 22 I have never had. So what would you do ?? Update it or just try to leave it alone because I have zero probs !!!! I swear that will prob change now that I said that out loud ! Lol