Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Sync 10" to 8" Screen (Downgrade) Upgrade

i8iridium

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Decided that I was annoyed with the format of the 10" screen and how small the cameras and carplay was compared to the 8" screen. There's not a lot of instructions in this thread. I'll link a video to the disassembly from 4Dtech showing how to "upgrade". That makes it pretty clear on how to take everything apart and where the parts go.

List of Parts
  • 8" Sync Screen - I searched eBay for 2020-23 explorer screens until i found one that was an appropriate price and in good shape - https://www.ebay.com/itm/144466632995
  • Sync3 LVDS Video Harness - This is the cable connecting the APIM to the screen. The 10" screen cable won't work because of the orientation of the connector. You can shave out the spot in the 8" screen back, but I didn't want to do that. Ford part was on national back order, so I turned to amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089R57XHQ
  • LB5Z-78042A82-AB Trim Bezel Insert $9.69
  • LB5Z-7813546-AC Utility Box $31.45
  • LB5Z-99018B40-CA Trim Bezel $91.20
  • LB5Z-78046B46-AAUtility Box Mat $51.40 (I have no idea why this stupid mat cost 51 bucks, but I was all in. lol)
  • A good attitude.
I followed the video for disassembly/reassembly and swapping out the vents. I also left the original cable in place because I didn't feel like fishing it out. Also, the new cable was a little bit long, so I had to coil it up behind the dash. Make sure you wrap it and tie it good so nothing rattles. That's pretty much it. Pictures follow. Also added some "features" with forscan to add full climate controls to the screen along with the heated seats and wheel.

The must do change in Forscan to get the screen size right: (Don't change x or --) 7D0-03-01 xxxx 00xx xx--

And before anyone asks-I am not selling my original parts.

IMG_2286.jpg
IMG_2283.jpg IMG_2288.jpg
IMG_2289.jpg
IMG_2290.jpg

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Nice work. It’s sad that the upgraded larger screen really is a downgrade in actuality. Ford really should make the effort to fix this. It wouldn’t cost them all that much.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Did you install the LED light under the screen?

Attachments

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I agree it is sad that the 10.1" seems like a downgrade. Only if the screen actually went to the outer edges as well, it would have been closer to 12". The 10.1" should have been mounted landscaped like in the Aviator. Having a '21 F150 with the 12" and traded a '19 Expedition with the 8" to this, I really am thinking of doing the same thing.

Last edited:
OP
I

i8iridium

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
Did you install the LED light under the screen?
I didn't know there was an LED under there.

R2D2

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Great effort. Nice to see there is no wasted screen real estate like the 10 inch one.

How do you compare the landscape interface compared to the vertical format?

How much more bigger the camera and car play screens, have grown?

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Great effort. Nice to see there is no waisted screen real estate like the 10 inch one.

How do you compare the landscape interface compared to the vertical format?
How much more bigger the camera and car play screens, have grown?
Camera and car play is full screen.

R2D2

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I couldn't measure it with a tape. So just used the air volume knobs on both sides as a rough reference to see the difference.
IMG_20230501_091535.jpg
The red squares are roughly the 10 inch camera window sizes. So it has indeed grown a good bit.
Same with the car play.

With that added cubby below the screen, I would say a worthy up(down)grade. I would definitely try this, provided I can get those parts from a salvage yard.

OP
I

i8iridium

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
I couldn't measure it with a tape. So just used the air volume knobs on both sides as a rough reference to see the difference.
View attachment 17701
The red squares are roughly the 10 inch camera window sizes. So it has indeed grown a good bit.
Same with the car play.

With that added cubby below the screen, I would say a worthy up(down)grade. I would definitely try this, provided I can get those parts from a salvage yard.
That's a good assessment. I think the only thing that utilizes the full capacity of the 10" screen is the built-in maps and the settings menus. That's not a loss to me because I always use carplay, and i don't spend that much time changing settings for it to be a problem.

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST PHEV MY22
That's a good assessment. I think the only thing that utilizes the full capacity of the 10" screen is the built-in maps and the settings menus. That's not a loss to me because I always use carplay, and i don't spend that much time changing settings for it to be a problem.
How is the touchscreen responsiveness vs the 10" screen? Because i find the 10" terrible.

OP
I

i8iridium

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #11
How is the touchscreen responsiveness vs the 10" screen? Because i find the 10" terrible.
It's the same. That issue boils down to the underpowered processor of the sync 3 module, not the screen.

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST PHEV MY22
It's the same. That issue boils down to the underpowered processor of the sync 3 module, not the screen.
Thanks for the quick reply :) i'd hoped it would improve as it has less to show on the display.. i think i'd wait for an android screen then instead of going this way.

Cruise72

Reactions
Does switching to the 8" screen still retain the massage function options?

OP
I

i8iridium

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #14
Does switching to the 8" screen still retain the massage function options?
I don't have them to test, but there should be no reason it wouldn't retain it. It just changes the buttons to a different size/location.

randyknight

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Decided that I was annoyed with the format of the 10" screen and how small the cameras and carplay was compared to the 8" screen. There's not a lot of instructions in this thread. I'll link a video to the disassembly from 4Dtech showing how to "upgrade". That makes it pretty clear on how to take everything apart and where the parts go.

List of Parts
  • 8" Sync Screen - I searched eBay for 2020-23 explorer screens until i found one that was an appropriate price and in good shape - https://www.ebay.com/itm/144466632995
  • Sync3 LVDS Video Harness - This is the cable connecting the APIM to the screen. The 10" screen cable won't work because of the orientation of the connector. You can shave out the spot in the 8" screen back, but I didn't want to do that. Ford part was on national back order, so I turned to amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089R57XHQ
  • LB5Z-78042A82-AB Trim Bezel Insert $9.69
  • LB5Z-7813546-AC Utility Box $31.45
  • LB5Z-99018B40-CA Trim Bezel $91.20
  • LB5Z-78046B46-AAUtility Box Mat $51.40 (I have no idea why this stupid mat cost 51 bucks, but I was all in. lol)
  • A good attitude.
I followed the video for disassembly/reassembly and swapping out the vents. I also left the original cable in place because I didn't feel like fishing it out. Also, the new cable was a little bit long, so I had to coil it up behind the dash. Make sure you wrap it and tie it good so nothing rattles. That's pretty much it. Pictures follow. Also added some "features" with forscan to add full climate controls to the screen along with the heated seats and wheel.

The must do change in Forscan to get the screen size right: (Don't change x or --) 7D0-03-01 xxxx 00xx xx--

And before anyone asks-I am not selling my original parts.

View attachment 17646
View attachment 17648 View attachment 17649
View attachment 17650
View attachment 17651
Any info on what exactly you changed in forescan for the screen and the features?

mdl3v8

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
What's the measurement of the 8" screen from outside bezel to outside bezel?

I wonder what the likelihood is that we'd be able to shoehorn a 12" SYNC 4 display in. Or if it would even communicate with the rest of the vehicle...

OP
I

i8iridium

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #17
What's the measurement of the 8" screen from outside bezel to outside bezel?

I wonder what the likelihood is that we'd be able to shoehorn a 12" SYNC 4 display in. Or if it would even communicate with the rest of the vehicle...
Highly unlikely. Sync 4 12" screen needs a specific Sync 4 APIM to operate with it. There's extra power wires on the display. I have a sync 4 unit from a F150 that had the 12" display and i couldn't get it to turn on the 8" screen.

You can get a Sync 4 APIM that was paired with an 8" screen to use any older 8" screen, but the second problem becomes communication. I couldn't even get the unit that i had to communicate on the vehicle bus in order for Forscan to find it and try to program it. I had to put it in my Mach E in order for me to program it, but still couldn't get it working properly in an older vehicle. And when i say older, I mean a 2020 mustang or my 2023 ST. There's a few archetecture changes for vehicles that use Sync 4, to include Ethernet between the APIM and the Gateway module. There's another bus that isn't used for Sync 4 that need removed from the harness. There's folks smarter than me that will likely figure it out. I just don't have the time, and I'm not going to keep tearing apart my cars to try it out. I don't have the equipment to bench test this stuff.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Highly unlikely. Sync 4 12" screen needs a specific Sync 4 APIM to operate with it. There's extra power wires on the display. I have a sync 4 unit from a F150 that had the 12" display and i couldn't get it to turn on the 8" screen.

You can get a Sync 4 APIM that was paired with an 8" screen to use any older 8" screen, but the second problem becomes communication. I couldn't even get the unit that i had to communicate on the vehicle bus in order for Forscan to find it and try to program it. I had to put it in my Mach E in order for me to program it, but still couldn't get it working properly in an older vehicle. And when i say older, I mean a 2020 mustang or my 2023 ST. There's a few archetecture changes for vehicles that use Sync 4, to include Ethernet between the APIM and the Gateway module. There's another bus that isn't used for Sync 4 that need removed from the harness. There's folks smarter than me that will likely figure it out. I just don't have the time, and I'm not going to keep tearing apart my cars to try it out. I don't have the equipment to bench test this stuff.
That's a cool (all?) Ford garage you got there.. (y)
I guess a bronco is missing..

OP
I

i8iridium

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #19
They're alright...lol

Reactions
Vehicle
20' Explorer ST
Looks great! I personally wouldn't go down to the smaller screen even if the 10" screen isn't as useful as the smaller one is. I do like how it looks like on the dash though. Maybe next-gen will be better